Moms and Maids
Options

Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses

When do I need to make sure the moms pick out/order their dresses?
Our wedding is in 6 months?

Re: Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The sooner, the better. My wedding is in 6 months and my mom is still refusing to look. I think they take awhile to come in. Just try to get them looking!
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are they getting them?  If it's a salon, call and ask for drop dead dates to order.  For one brother's wedding, my mom bought her dress off the rack at Macy's.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-groom-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:b3efc99a-ae7b-4b14-b793-07822d17ba00Post:c4642d28-a91a-4a55-a94a-7c40a22f082c">Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]When do I need to make sure the moms pick out/order their dresses? Our wedding is in 6 months?
    Posted by spanzer[/QUOTE]
    I would assume it depends on what you're going for. Are they getting custom dresses? Or are they just getting off the rack dresses? What do they want?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They know when your wedding is, they will know when they need to order them or buy them.

Both of our Mom's purchased something off of the rack at Macy's and VonMaur, so it wasn't a big deal for allowing time for them to come in. I highly suggest they explore some of the dept stores first before ordering from a bridal salon. We looked there, but they were just too overpriced.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your mom and FMIL are grown women who have been dressing themselves for years.  They have been going to stores and purchasing attire.  You don't NEED to make sure that they purchase anything on your timeline.  Don't  micromanage the moms~treat them like the adults they are.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-groom-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:b3efc99a-ae7b-4b14-b793-07822d17ba00Post:7ef08de6-4913-47b4-8961-9d139f86cbb6">Re: Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your mom and FMIL are grown women who have been dressing themselves for years.  They have been going to stores and purchasing attire.  You don't NEED to make sure that they purchase anything on your timeline.  Don't  micromanage the moms~treat them like the adults they are.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. My Mom would be insulted by me checking up to see if she had purchased or ordered her wedding attire.  If she's getting something that will take time to come in... don't you think she would have thought to check on that before ordering it???? </div>
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-groom-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:b3efc99a-ae7b-4b14-b793-07822d17ba00Post:7ef08de6-4913-47b4-8961-9d139f86cbb6">Re: Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your mom and FMIL are grown women who have been dressing themselves for years.  They have been going to stores and purchasing attire.  <strong>You don't NEED to make sure that they purchase anything on your timeline.</strong>  Don't  micromanage the moms~treat them like the adults they are.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

You can turn them away if they show up at the church naked.  Prior to that, treat them like adults.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Your mom and FMIL are grown women who have been dressing themselves for years.  They have been going to stores and purchasing attire.  You don't NEED to make sure that they purchase anything on your timeline.  Don't  micromanage the moms~treat them like the adults they are.

<div>This exactly. Trix is wise.</div>
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses[/QUOTE]
    Did anyone else read this as the bride and groom are siblings?
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    djoann958djoann958 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I f they are purchasing off the rack in a department, you have lots of time. I ordered my MOB dress from a bridal salon 5 months prior to my daughter's wedding. I was told it would take 3 months for it to arrive and up to 2 months for alterations.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-groom-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:b3efc99a-ae7b-4b14-b793-07822d17ba00Post:70911843-95e8-4121-8518-66968ce01415">Re: Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I f they are purchasing off the rack in a department, you have lots of time. I ordered my MOB dress from a bridal salon 5 months prior to my daughter's wedding. I was told it would take 3 months for it to arrive and <strong>up to 2 months for alterations</strong>.
    Posted by djoann958[/QUOTE]

Seriously???  I would have found a real seamstress then and told the store to forget it.  My seamstress had my wedding dress altered for me overnight.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Trix - my thoughts exactly.

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love how people freak out at 6 months when things aren't ordered (Not you specifically OP, just many brides in general).  My whole wedding was planned in 5 months, including BM dresses and my own wedding gown being ordered.  My mom's dress was the least of my worries because she is a grown woman and knows what she needs to do.

She ended up buying hers about 3 and a half months before.  She wanted to lost some weigght before trying them on.  We planned a day together because she wanted me to go with her, and the first store we went to was David's Bridal.  She ended up finding one she loved and bought it off the rack. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you think they want to order dresses, just let them know it will take some lead time and leave it up to them to decide.  If they want off the rack, then they can go whenever.
  • Options
    DanielleZZDanielleZZ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If they don't plan on buying one off the rack I would suggest to start looking now.  My wedding is March 5th.  My mom got hers a few months ago.  We went looking for my FI's mom yesterday and the dress she liked won't come in by the wedding so we have to keep looking, we really wish we would have gone sooner.

Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Off the rack...alterations took a week.  That being said, there is a lot of pretty sparkly party stuff out now for holiday events.  It doesn't hurt to look!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    Both our moms got their outfits off the rack at department stores.  It was cheaper, easier, and let them be the independent adults that they are.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We (MOB, MOG & Bride's Grandmother) all bought our outfits off the rack. We found the dresses offered by the bridal shops to be too expensive and quite frankly, not well made.  The MOG bought her dress 13 months prior to the wedding and had it accessorized and altered by 10 months out. The Bride's grandmother and I bought our outfits at the 2 month mark.  We found that everyone else was much more concerned than we about the fact that we waited to make our purchases.  In fact, the more that everyone (and I do mean everyone!) pushed the more irritated I got and the more reluctant I got to go shopping.  We knew when the wedding date was and never had any intention of going down the aisle naked! Laughing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-groom-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:b3efc99a-ae7b-4b14-b793-07822d17ba00Post:a3f43cc2-c341-4cea-b3d2-030491c3f923">Re: Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was told it would take 3 months for it to arrive and up to 2 months for alterations. Wow.  It took 3 weeks to alter my wedding dress, which included removing and reapplying detail work to take in the sides, AND my underslip.  And that was at the bridal store, during their busiest time. 
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I've heard horror stories about the alterations department at David's, but I think I had my first fitting something like a month out.  I suppose if you're having extensive alterations done it would take longer, but if you're looking at the usual "adjust the waist and hem" that most people need, that can certainly be done in a matter of days.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you buy your wedding dress? And what's your wedding theme? If you are confirm these, you should buy the  Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses. If you want to buy the dresses online,  just let them know it will take some time. I am also planning to buy the wedding dress. Just look though the http://bit.ly/fyJk6H But  If they want off the rack, then they can go whenever. I agree with the others. congrat!!!
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-groom-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:b3efc99a-ae7b-4b14-b793-07822d17ba00Post:c1c61181-1baa-4a7f-a3c8-bfd28dfae772">Re: Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you buy your wedding dress? And what's your wedding theme? If you are confirm these, you should buy the  Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses. If you want to buy the dresses online,  just let them know it will take some time. I am also planning to buy the wedding dress. Just look though the <a href="http://bit.ly/fyJk6H" rel="nofollow">http://bit.ly/fyJk6H</a> But  If they want off the rack, then they can go whenever. I agree with the others. congrat!!!
    Posted by rose000[/QUOTE]

What does this mean?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-bride-groom-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:b3efc99a-ae7b-4b14-b793-07822d17ba00Post:c1c61181-1baa-4a7f-a3c8-bfd28dfae772">Re: Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you buy your wedding dress? And what's your wedding theme? If you are confirm these, you should buy the  Mother of Bride and Groom Dresses. If you want to buy the dresses online,  just let them know it will take some time. I am also planning to buy the wedding dress. Just look though the <a href="http://bit.ly/fyJk6H" rel="nofollow">http://bit.ly/fyJk6H</a> But  If they want off the rack, then they can go whenever. I agree with the others. congrat!!!
    Posted by rose000[/QUOTE]

What the.....?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I worded my post poorly; I had my alterations done at DB as well.  So I was agreeing with you, but I guess it was a communication fail on my part...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards