Moms and Maids
Options

Ideas on MOB dresses please

Any ideas on where to get plus sized MOB dresses that aren't ridiculous in price?  The dresses I looked at today were only $50 less than my dress!  That is crazy!  Thanks for your help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ideas on MOB dresses please

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, don't think of MOB dresses.  IMHO they are usually frumpy looking.  Go to a department store that you know will carry options in plus sizes and look in their dress department.  I know Macy's and JC Penny carry nice dresses in plus sizes (I'm blanking out on stores at the moment).  I think that would be the best place to start.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Jasmine Bridal... they have a ton of MOB dresses. Macy's and JCPenny's work as well the only downfall there is they are very common stores for middle aged women so your MOB might have the same dress as one of your guests... just a thought
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Macy's and Dillard's have wedding dress shops. I don't think MOB would end up with the same dress as a guest. You can browse online on their website.

I agree that Jasmine Bridal has awesome dresses. Our MOB and MOG got Jasmine Bridal dresses; however both paid around $350-$400 for their dresses.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would look more at a plus-sized specialty shop, personally.  They carry clothing that is designed for plus-sized proportions, rather than designed for skinny people and scaled up.  There are lots of plus-sized retailers online.  My two plus-sized bridesmaids got their dresses from Kiyonna, and I have a couple of friends who swear by igigi and eShakti.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    dparisidparisi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Ursula of Switzerland on line and in stores.  They have some wonderful MOB/MOG dresses for around $250
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Start with some basic department stores, like Penny's, Macy's, Dillards, Sears, Steinmart, or Nordstroms.  Or she might even find something in one of the more modest BM dresses with a wrap or matching jacket (Alfred Angelos, or David's Bridal).

My mom is elderly and plus sized (about a size 20), so she has a lot of picky requirements in dresses.  Must be comfortable, not too tight or low cut, something "pretty around the neck", cover her arm flab, and come below her mid-calf area in length.  I found her a simple, gray/periwinkle color dress that met all those requirements at Penny's last year, for under $100. 

I also found her some flowy "palazzo" style evening pants (that look kind of like a long skirt), a sort of sheer beaded jacket, and satiny tank top at Steinmart.  She ended up going with the evening pants outfit for my DD's wedding, so she didn't have to worry about wearing hose.  She just wore knee highs and dressy flats.
  • Options
    longman801longman801 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards