Moms and Maids
Options

Any other groomswomen here?

My best friend (a guy) has asked me to be a groomswoman in his wedding. Anyone else in this situation?

Re: Any other groomswomen here?

• Options
    tidetraveltidetravel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_other-groomswomen-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:ca686a85-4915-4296-ae7d-d88c4dd19f8cPost:0f774718-2de6-4cdb-8601-ada14ae12b3f">Any other groomswomen here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best friend (a guy) has asked me to be a groomswoman in his wedding. Anyone else in this situation?
    Posted by soon2bedrspaar[/QUOTE]

Mixed gender wedding parties are quite common these days.  We had both a bridesman and a groomswoman.  I wouldn't really call it a "situation."  What, exactly, is your question.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't really think of it as a "situation."  We had both a groomswoman and a bridesman, and they did the same things all of our other attendants did, they just stood on different sides for the ceremony and for pictures.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I won't lie... I'm really hoping that one day someone will ask me to be a groomswoman... because I am so wearing the tux instead of the dress!
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had a groomswoman, and it wasn't really any different than having another groomsman. She got dressed with me and my girls, and attended my bach party, but other than that, she was totally one of the "guys".

• Options
    Dberkely11Dberkely11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think her question was pretty clear: "Any other groomswomen here?" Perhaps she just wants to befriend someone in the same situation. And it is a situation, just as being a bridesMAID is a situation. A situation is the general state of things or the combination of circumstances at a given time.

To the original poster-
    I've never been one, but it sounds fun! :)
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    haven't been one - but I'm having one!  FI's bf growing up was a girl.  She'll have the same dress/flowers etc as the other girls, she's invited to the showers and bachelorette party, she'll get ready with us the morning of, but she'll stand on the other side and be in some of the "boy" pictures
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to be one next spring!!! I can't wait.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_other-groomswomen-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:ca686a85-4915-4296-ae7d-d88c4dd19f8cPost:11eef973-1049-4242-8fe1-5bb8315d7c85">Re: Any other groomswomen here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think her question was pretty clear: "Any other groomswomen here?" Perhaps she just wants to befriend someone in the same situation. And it is a situation, just as being a bridesMAID is a situation. <strong>A situation is the general state of things or the combination of circumstances at a given time</strong>. To the original poster- I've never been one, but it sounds fun! :)
    Posted by Dberkely11[/QUOTE]
    Except on a message board like this, "situation" has a negative connotation.  If you come here and say "I'm in a situation" and you're not meaning "so please help me," you're just confusing the hell out of everyone.

Don't lecture on the language if you don't know how to speak it.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was one for my brother's wedding - I thought it was great to stand up on his side! 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was my BFF's best woman.  What's your question caller?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OP - for safety's sake start a new account and don't put any personal information in your SN or in your ticker.  Using your real name is dangerous - this is an internet community - and using your fiancee's name is equally not as smart.  You've just let a bunch of people know your real identity and it would not be difficult to find out where you live and work.  Nor would it be difficult for a person to learn the details of your wedding and do things like cancel vendors.  It has happened in the past.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI is having a best woman... she's been his best friend for forever and he couldn't think of anyone else he'd want next to him. We asked if she wanted a dress or tux and she said it was up to FI since it's his wedding... FI knows she didn't even wear a dress to her wedding tho, so we picked the tux for her so she's comfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cwingatecwingate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a groomswomen in a wedding last year. I have been in several weddings as a bridesmaid, and am allway's wore out by the time of the ceremony. Hanging out with "the guy's" was so relaxing, and gave me different perspective on the whole wedding day. I would go into this with an open mind and enjoy it. It is in fact your friends special day and they want you to be involved. Enjoy the day, and the new couple.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I admit, I was somewhat dissappointed when my brother did not ask me to stand up for him. As well, he doesn't have a best man, just two groomsmen, because he doesn't think he has anyone close enough to ask for a best man. He and I are really close, and I actually intend to ask him to stand up for me -- be my "man of honour". I think having his sister stand up for him is just something that hasn't occurred to him and also their wedding is very traditional. So, I'm not in the wedding party at all. Anyway, my point is: that I'm really happy for anyone who goes this route. I think it's a wonderful way to acknowledge those relationships no matter what people's gender. Enjoy your role!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The BM at our wedding was a groomswoman
  • Options
    Dberkely11Dberkely11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_other-groomswomen-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:ca686a85-4915-4296-ae7d-d88c4dd19f8cPost:1ee45584-cfe2-472a-83c9-f7ae1585414d">Re: Any other groomswomen here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any other groomswomen here? : Except on a message board like this, "situation" has a negative connotation.  If you come here and say "I'm in a situation" and you're not meaning "so please help me," you're just confusing the hell out of everyone. Don't lecture on the language if you don't know how to speak it.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

If the OP meant "situation" in a negative way, I certainly didn't pick up on it. It seems like you're always looking for something to rip people apart about in their posts... maybe you're just insecure? And I know how to speak (English) properly, so I'm not sure what that is all about.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_other-groomswomen-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:ca686a85-4915-4296-ae7d-d88c4dd19f8cPost:b1023028-8962-421d-b712-6d4182b5eba1">Re: Any other groomswomen here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any other groomswomen here? : If the OP meant "situation" in a negative way, I certainly didn't pick up on it. It seems like you're always looking for something to rip people apart about in their posts... maybe you're just insecure? And I know how to speak (English) properly, so I'm not sure what that is all about.
    Posted by Dberkely11[/QUOTE]

Aerin has been here longer than you.  When she tells someone that the word "situation" on these boards usually references a negative situation, perhaps you and your seven posts may want to listen to her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards