Moms and Maids

Bridal Shower games!?!

Are bridal shower games a do or don't?  Do you have to play 2 games or is one good enough?  What kind of games are you playing that ppl somewhat enjoy?  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Bridal Shower games!?!

• edited December 2011
    Don't. This isn't a children's birthday party. Let your guests eat and socialize at the shower.

• Kara-AnneKara-Anne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have to disagree. We did a couple of games at my sisters wedding and they worked as a great ice breaker. I have never been to a shower where games weren't played. My favorite is the one where you ask the groom 20 questions about himself. Then, the bride has to answer the same 20 questions. For every one that she gets wrong she has to put a piece of bubble gum in her mouth. Some may say tacky, I say fun!
  • edited December 2011
    UGH!  My recommendation is do NOT do the bubble gum game mentioned above.  I was at a shower where the maid of honor did that game and the bride almost choked on the gum.  I don't know what games are being planned for my shower, but that was the one game that I absolutely demanded NOT be played. 

I really didn't want any games at my shower, but the bridesmaids wanted to do a couple, so I limited it to 2.  Hopefully nothing embarassing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think shower games are just so uncomfortable, and I don't like them at all.  IMO, games are for children's b'day parties, not parties for grown women (the typical group of "invitees").

I think they will NOT be missed if you don't have them, and that many will thank you if you just skip them.  The bubble gum game just sounds awful.

If you absolutely MUST do games, do a bingo game that goes on while you're opening gifts.  They're the least egregious IMO.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • smileybesmileybe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the type of shower.  If it's going to be a larger shower with a bunch of relatives and stuff, then maybe a game would seem kind of out of place.  However, if it's just going to be a little get together with your friends, then I think some games would be fun.  Just try to make sure whatever you do would be enjoyed by the people coming.  
    I went to a bridal shower a couple months ago, and they played the gum game and also wedding pictionary.  It seemed fun, but might not have been for everyone. 
  • ericksbericksb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As someone who has TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder), I would highly recommend NOT doing the gum game. I would not be able to talk or eat without incredible pain for the next two days if I had to play this game (and I got all but 4 questions right!). I answered questions about my FI and the rest of the group guessed whether or not I'd get the questions right and won a prize if they were closest with their guesses. Google "bridal shower games" and you should get lots of ideas.
  • edited December 2011
    My mom did a fan-TABULOUS job planning my shower.  Many had traveled from out of town, and these were great ice breakers.  Most have not met my fiancee or his family, either.  We had word scramble games, how-well-do-you-know-the-bride, a price-is-right type game, made dresses out of toilet paper on the MOB and MOG, and even a game like "hot potato" but with a bouquet.  Everyone had a ball, especially myself...otherwise it would have just been another party.

We played the more interactive games at the end, and ladies in their 60s, 70s and 80s LOVED the TP dress competition!

If it's not your thing, then make silent mention of it. But keep in mind that this is a party thrown for you, not by you. Be gracious and, as long as they don't make you out to be a fool or hurt you medically, just go for it.  Same goes for the RD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards