Moms and Maids
Options

I feel pressured...

My wedding is just over two years away.

Yes, I have a lot of it planned already, but that is for MY convenience; I hate procrastintion.

But all of my friends are asking when I'll decide who is going to be bridesmaids and that I should keep them in mind.  This would be no biggie...if they didn't call me, text me, say it in person, and post it on my facebook. 

Am I being ridiculous?  Or do I have a right to be upset?

Re: I feel pressured...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You're not being ridiculous.  What they are doing is tacky and yes, they are pressuring you.  You need to cut them off immediately when they mention this.  Delete facebook posts, change the conversation, whatever.  Just tell them you're not asking your WP until a year out (or whatever you decide - I would suggest 8 months)...and make sure your fiance doesn't ask anyone to be GMs in the meantime, either.  A lot can change between friendships in two years and you don't want to get stuck.  In this situation, I would just go with a sister(s), if any, and keep the WP small so friends don't feel hurt.
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You got some pushy friends.

I'd be honest and say "My wedding is two years away.  I'm not even going to think about it for at least a year.  Have you tried this bean dip?"
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_feel-pressured?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:edba0167-01b7-408d-8263-4cee5a627333Post:b5aa5d3e-148f-42c4-b5b1-8990f79ea0fd">Re: I feel pressured...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You got some pushy friends. I'd be honest and say "My wedding is two years away.  I'm not even going to think about it for at least a year.  Have you tried this bean dip?"
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]
    What Joy said.

You are doing the exact right thing by waiting.  If you want to see why, come visit the wedding party board and check out all the posts from brides who asked too soon and now want to change their minds.

Also ignore JenPhil's advice as it is terrible.  Your BMs should be your closest friends, not who can do the most stuff for you.  Their only responsibility is to buy the dress and show up wearing it (preferably sober.)  Most WP drama can be traced back to having too high expectations of your friends.  (JenPhil kicked out a BM for being unable to afford the dress, and another BM because she wasn't doing enough.  She's not the person you want to take advice from.)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bean Dip tastes best in a crystal bowl.  I would stick to family members for the WP & definitely wait until a year or less before the wedding.  What if somebody moves due to a job?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards