Moms and Maids
Options

MIL and Invites

My fiance and I recently set a date for our wedding.  We are now dealing with the amount of invites.  Our facility hold 250 people.  for invites I think me and my fiance should get a say and we have said immediate famiily, and close relatives and close friends.  My MIL already has a list of 100 people to invite and many are relatives that I have never met and we have been together for nearly 10 years.  How do we get the point across that she needs to draw the line somewhere?

Re: MIL and Invites

• Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who's paying?  If MIL isn't paying for anything, then your FI can tell her how many invitations she's allotted, and that if she can't cut the list down on her own by [insert date here], he'll do it for her.  If she is paying, then it's her party and you're just along for the ride unless you decline her money.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Aerin.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mil-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:fbc78130-2c29-4e64-870a-bfed090f84b6Post:452a3053-70b7-4db6-b35a-689724c5c3da">MIL and Invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I recently set a date for our wedding.  We are now dealing with the amount of invites.  Our facility hold 250 people.  for invites I think me and my fiance should get a say and we have said immediate famiily, and close relatives and close friends.  My MIL already has a list of 100 people to invite and many are relatives that I have never met and we have been together for nearly 10 years.  How do we get the point across that she needs to draw the line somewhere?
    Posted by saskatchewanbride[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto PP that it depends if MIL is hosting or not. 

If she's not then make up your own list - see who on her list makes it onto yours.  When you're done if you still have space left in your 250 then you can offer some to her and see who she still wants that didn't make your first cut.  Hopefully she'll understand that there is a physical limit your facility can hold.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tell her how many people she can invite...not how many invitations.  They are not the same thing!  Give her a date to have the list to you.  Be very kind but very matter of fact.  Don't get emotional or sound indecisive.

Good luck!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who is paying?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards