Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

How necessary is a make up artist?

I don't wear makeup on a day to day basis.  For special occasions, I do the regular makeup routine: foundation, powder, blush, eye makeup, lipstick.  Obviously, my wedding is a special occasion, but I just really don't see why I can't do my own makeup.  Am I just delusional?  Anybody do their own makeup on their wedding day and regret it?  I'm still a little over a year away from the wedding date, so there's time to book a makeup artist if I change my mind.  Advice, please.
Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince

Re: How necessary is a make up artist?

• Options
    It certainly isn't necessary and a lot of brides do their own make-up.  If you feel that you can do a pretty good job on your own makeup for your wedding, then go for it!  I think getting a makeup artist allows you to feel pampered and special that day because we can all do our own make-up on a normal daily basis, but we want something WOW for our wedding.  Do what makes you happy and comfortable.
  • Options
    it's definitely not a requirement and if you like the way you photograph doing your own makeup, it would be a total waste of money. just do yourself a favor and practice your wedding day look in the months leading up to the wedding so you aren't stressed out day-of wondering what you think you should do. if there's something special you think you want (ie, a celebrity look from a certain magazine, etc) and you aren't positive you can pull it off, take the image to a beauty counter and ask them to duplicate it- then watch how they do it. you may need to buy a few of the products they use for the demo but it might be worthwhile. you'll be just fine! as PP said, there are tons of us who have done our own makeup :-)
  • Options
    Personally, I think I do a fantastic job on my own makeup, when I actually do it.  But I kept reading all these posts about makeup artists and started to second guess myself.  Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Options
    I would have agreed with you before I had a make up artist do my make up for a photo shoot and she did such an amazing job I wouldn't even consider not having a make up artist on my wedding day.
  • Options
    not at all necessary. I've used makeup artists for pictures before, and I prefer the way my makeup looks when I do it myself. waste of money imo.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    I am just having my sister do my makeup (and no, she is not a professional). I think it is perfectly fine to do your own.
  • Options
    You're not delusional. I did my own make-up because I like the way that it looks when I do it. I have absolutely no regrets.
  • Options
    Because weddings are so over-commercialized there will be no shortage of vendor and people who want you to spend every last penny telling you what you can't and cannot do and calling you insane for thinking you can do what you want.I honestly think getting a make up artist is a waste of money.I am just thinking of going to the mac counter a couple of weeks before the wedding, buying some new make up, and have them show me how to apply it and then just practice doing it.The way I figure if I have to pay $90 to $200 for make up, I should be able to use it again--right?
  • Options
    God, lurking on all these boards makes me start to think I'm crazy for not hiring someone to take care of ever single detail of my wedding.  Thank y'all so much for making me feel better about this.
  • Options
    Most of the stuff on your todo list is designed to have you spend more money either directly or indirectly.  Either by making you crazy so you are more willing to throw your money around, or making you feel obligated to to something that isn't absolutely necessary.Take a step back, and figure out what you're priorities are, rather than following what everyone else is doing.
  • Options
    Hi!I agree with most people on the this forum - if you don't want one then don't get one! It's certainly not a must to have someone do your make-up and/or hair - especially if you are comfortable doing it yourself (or having a non-professional do it for you). Personally, I feel perfectly comfortable with the way I do my make-up for everyday wear and the occasional "night" look. I don't, however, feel comfortable doing my own make-up when tons of photos need to be taken and the make-up needs to last all day. Especially with professional photography being taken. I've done my own make-up for professional pictures (not for my wedding) and I definitely didn't use enough b/c I got washed out like crazy. On top of that, I know I don't have the versatility of products a make-up artist would have to achieve a certain "look." Let's call me a make-up novice.For that reason, I am getting a make-up artist (and hairstylist because I am even more novice when it comes to hair). It may be more costly but it gives me the peace of mind that I will look great on my wedding day. But again - I don't see anything wrong with NOT getting a make-up artist - it all depends on how comfortable you are with your own skills!Good luck and have fun planning your wedding!Cheers!
  • Options
    The only thing necessary for your wedding is you, your FI and an officiant, and witnesses if required by your state. Everything else is window dressing. I did my own makeup, hair and nails. I never wear makeup or do my nails.  I did go to Sephora and asked for a makeup lesson from them so I could learn what to do and what it should look like. Then I practiced. And I don't regret it at all.
  • Options
    I'm with peach.  A make-up artist is definitely not necessary (and neither is anything else really lol), but I think it all depends on your comfort level.  I'm okay with doing my regular "every day" makeup but for special occasions, not so much.  My regular makeup doesn't last all day so I needed someone to help me out.  I thought it was well worth the money. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Personally a makeup artist is a must for me, I have oily skin and my makeup doesn't last 2 seconds on me so I'm really looking forward to handing the responsibility over to a professional.But if you'd prefer to do your own makeup then go ahead. I want to add this though. I used to work in a department store for Estee Lauder and I remember I sold £500 worth of cosmetics to a lady doing her makeup herself on her wedding day. She bought EVERYTHING from scratch - so for her, "doing it herself" was probably a false economy!xjcx
  • Options
    it's so not necessary! if ur the non wearing makeup types and u leans toward natural looking then it's not necessary.im doing my own makeup.well, partly is because im self taught and kind of a makeup artist myself.(even though i cant do theatrical and halloween makeup)i dont see whats the point in booking and paying money to someone to do ur makeup. unless u want something u cant do it urself.
  • Options
    i personally think a makeup artist is a must, especially if you are considering airbrush makeup (which is amazing).
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Options
    I now think it is a waste of $$. I had numerous trials that I pretty much hated and ended up cancelling on my MUA at the last minute, wasting so much $. I went with my gut, did my own makeup and have not one regret! Just make sure you use a primer and eye base![IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/s1hzzk.jpg[/IMG]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards