Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Sweaty and Blotchy :(

I posted this somewhere else but I cannot find it anywhere so I will try again :). I am getting married 6/25/10 and most of our pictures are going to be outside. I get hot VERY easily and not only does my face sweat but it starts to get all red and blotchy and I don't want all my pictures to come out looking stupid. I NEVER wear make-up in everyday life so I didn't know if there was some kind of make-up to cover it or if that would make it worse when I start to sweat. I thought about possibly asking a dermatologist but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: Sweaty and Blotchy :(

• Options
    I might try using Bare Escentuals foundation, especially the Matte one. Its a powder mineral make-up and it stays on really long and never looks shiny or blotchy. Plus it is really light and never looks like cakey makeup either. Its my FAVORITE and i have really oily and sweaty skin.. I might get a couple of different foundations or conceilers (for the blotching) and try them out beforehand so you'll know how your skin reacts to them...
  • Options
    If you do try any of the mineral makeups, be aware that they contain the same compounds that are contained in sunblock - like zinc oxides and such, which mean that they are very light-reflective (that's how they get the natural sun-protective qualities).  In turn, that means it'll wash you out if your photographer uses flash-photography.  I'd recommend trying it out using a flash to see how washed out you look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    I would try to relax and not let yourself get too hot during the photos.  I'd definitely keep water near by and maybe one of those little battery powered fans.  Makeup or cover up won't really help since you'll already have your make up applied before the blotchy redness starts.  Keep oil blotting papers with you and powder. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If it's in your budget, consider getting your makeup professionally airbrushed with an oil-free, water based foundation. You'd want to get a trial done beforehand and spend some time outside to see how it holds up, but airbrushing is used on photo/film sets a lot because it handles better under hot lights.
  • Options
    ditto avoiding mineral makeup. I love it in every day life, but I look so white in pictures.I'm wearing Smashbox Camera Ready foundation. it's designed for the camera, so you won't look washed out. plus, it's medium-to-heavy coverage, depending on how you layer it. it's great, covers up my scars on my upper lip.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    I second the airbrush recommendation! My wedding was on 11/1 and we just got our pro pics back and the makeup looks flawless. It was $55 a person for airbrushed make-up and she even came to us. Don't know where you live so obviously pricing varies but its not as unaffordable as you may think. My SIL got married last year in Ft. Lauderdale in almot 90 degree weather AND it poured during the ceremony (on a boat) our makeup looked perfect at the end of the day, even after all of that...because it was airbrushed. Good luck!
  • Options
    airbrush is amazing. I am extremely oily skin and it worked great on me. I also keep a powfer compact in my purse in case I need it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Stupid question probably but what exactly is "airbrushing" ... does it still come off easily with soap and water afterwards? Is it hot? Does it take a long time to have done? I hate sitting still for long periods of time!! LOL. I will do it if that is my only choice but I just wondered. Thanks everyone for all the advice!!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    If by "blotchy" you mean bright red blushing-type spots all over your face and neck I feel you.  I get them when I'm scared, nervous, hot, excited, etc.  I haven't to date found anything that will successfully cover them.  I'm also not a fan of very heavy make up, which might be limiting my choices.

When consulting with my photog I told her about them and explained that although it's a part of me & I realize it's going to happen, could she photoshop them out of some of the nicer pictures that we'll blow up and give away.  She said absolutely, no problem, she wouldn't print a picture if she didn't feel comfortable being the girl in the photo. 
  • Options
    Oh wow, you get the blotchies too, huh.  I can sympathize.  I use mineral makeup like some of the posters mentioned but I will say that it doesn't hold up in the heat so well and it doesn't really COVER the blotchies, just sort of- diffuses them.  Wouldn't recommend it for your special day. I tried a sample of that "camera ready" foundation by smashbox and I would suggest that you do the same, it looked nice but I felt like I was wearing a mask.  You might be uncomfortable if you are not accustomed to wearing makeup at all.  I used to be makeup-phobic and the girl at a Clinique counter helped me out a lot (I am not recommending clinique specifically- though their stuff is ok) Make appointments at your cosmetic counters at nearby department stores.  They will give you a lesson on how to apply and usually send you home with samples so you can practice and see how your skin reacts before you buy.  I have not tried the "airbrush" foundation application that some girls are talkin about but I probably will try it out if I can find someone who does it near my (summer) wedding in Puerto Rico...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards