Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Adding Straps

Hi All,

So I went to David's Bridal this weekend and fell in love with this dress:

The only thing is that being a plus sized girl, I'm not crazy about strapless (mostly because of what my mother refers to as the "meat"--that lovely armpit fat!).

I was wondering if anyone has had fabric straps added to a David's Bridal dress during alterations (not the lace ones that you can buy separately) and how did it come out? Pictures would be great! Thanks in advance for your advice :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Adding Straps

• Options
    I got spaghetti straps for mine that my seamstress will sew on. 

Check their website.  They offer several different versions of both straps and sleeves and at a reasonable cost.  Don't know what they'd charge to attach them.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment
    I didn't go through DB, however I also have that 'meat' ;) so had straps added to my dress.  I have my first fitting on Monday so will see at that time what the look like exactly.  The bridal shop I used said that they can alter them however I want them (make them wider, thinner etc) and actually suggested that I might want to wear them slightly off the shoulder to flatter my figure better.

Any good alterationist (is that the word?) will be able to add sleeves, you just need to make sure DB oders in extra fabric to match your dress.  I think it cost me $35 to do this and to have them make and add them to the dress.

Good Luck! (and revel in the 'meat'!!)  I know my man loves that I'm not a skinny toothpick and keeps telling me how beautiful I am... and that the 'fleshy' parts just make the package that much better.   Yay for men who love real women :)
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    If you have to get your dress hemmed you can use that fabric to add straps as long as long as the fabric on the bottom is same as the top. Just an idea! That is what we are doing with some of the bridesmaids since they wanted more than the thin straps that come with the dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm thin, and still have the 'meat'.  My consultent at David's Bridal had me bring the dress high up my chest so it came to armpits, and then I had it taken in so it would stay there.  Sounds wacky, but it looks good 9and it really works at hiding the 'meat').

PS - My gf, who is even skinnier than me, has the same issue.  She wanted to know what I was doing at the gym to get rid of it, but I filled her in on my secret instead.. LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards