Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

What can I do with REALLY short hair?

Last year I shaved my head for St Baldrick's (solidarity with kids undergoing chemo and raising money for cancer research). Growing it back out from bald takes a long time and I finally have enough to tuck behind my ears, but I always wanted to have a fun uo-do for my wedding!  I know hair extensions are pretty good these days, but I think it would feel too bizzare to have long hair for just a day.

Up until November I didn't even have enough hair to clip a veil into, and by July I should have enough to really get a clip to stick.

What fun things can I do with my super-short hair?

imageimageAnniversary

Re: What can I do with REALLY short hair?

• I'm having some what of the same problem, but I may have some ideas for you. 

Of course I'm not exactly sure exactly how long your hair is at the moment, but both looks could be dressed up with some very nice flower accessories or barrettes.  If your hair is long enough, I know I've considered the following style:

I hope that helps a little bit...Best Wishes!Laughing
  • What about a headband?  They have some really cute ones on etsy.com in the wedding category
  • My hair is a little longer in front but pretty short in the back, and I have the added stress of curls.  A lady at a bridal shop I went to told me not to grow it out and to try to look like myself.  So my plan is to wear a veil (it is just long enough in the back for a veil comb to hold...the curls help, too), and then a hair comb on the side.  After the ceremony, I plan to take off the veil and just have the hair comb.  There are lots and lots of beautiful combs and hair accesories if you have tons of money.  If not, consider creating something (I found a very inexpensive comb and my mom is adding some feathers behind it.  It is going to be awesome).  I think if you try to have a dressed up version of your normal 'do, you'll look great and never regret anything in your photos.  Good luck!
  • I have short hair as well, and I'm planning on doing touseled finger curls (my hair does that naturally if I don't straighten it) with a fascinator and small birdcage veil. I think that short hair with a cool fascinator can be stunning!

For hairstyle inspiration, Google image search Michelle Williams, Shannyn Sossamon, Charlize Theron, Winona Ryder, Linda Evangelista, Sienna Miller, or Katie Holmes, with "short hair" included in the search.
  • A pretty flower tucked behind your ear might be cute.
  • Short hair is so cute right now! Look no further than actresses like Carey Mulligan... love her current hair! I would incorporate a really cute hair accessory - retro and vintage from etsy.com. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_can-really-short-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:3ebef668-ebbc-4828-8cf8-f97228bb8e69Post:627d2f47-0166-4981-bab4-0f8a0ee54f8b">Re: What can I do with REALLY short hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]-... retro and vintage from etsy.com. <div>Posted by papermate[/QUOTE]

</div><div>Etsy's definitely the way to go. There are some really elegant headbands that don't need much hair to grab onto. Btw, way to go on your donation, especially with your wedding approaching!  </div>
  • Thanks guys!  I'll have to look into finger curls and definitely check out etsy!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Well here's a simple idea that looked really chic! And its really simple hope you can see the pic well enough and good luck!
    www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3610599&id=627497195">
    A love like this doesn't happen but once in a lifetime and I'm so happy that it happened in mine. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have been having the same problem! I have had short hair for the last four years and then all of a sudden decided to grow it for my wedding. It looks awful I am defiantly and noticeably in that "oh yeah, she is trying to grow it out" stage. I am going back to my signature cute short look and am just going to style my hair normal and put in a headband. Etsy defiantly is the way to go. I am getting a really cute red feather fascinator attached to a headband from one of the sellers there. I hate wedding pics where girls look like dolls, I figure the best way to go is do what I normally do with a little glam on the headband. Comfortable and worry free! Good luck, I hope you find something you love!
  • others have made really good suggestions.  you could also look up sarah harding- I love her hair!  I have hair similar to hers and am wearing a mantilla for the ceremony and a decorative comb for the reception
  • I've always had short hair & have kind of been at a loss of what to do for the wedding. I'm kind of growing it out a bit, but lately I've been thinking that I want to look like myself on my wedding day, not how people tell me I should look with long flowing fancy updos and such. So I'm thinking of going and getting it all hacked off and going back to my usual style again.

I usually wear it similar to Keira Knightley's short hair style. I think with a beautiful hairband or some small sparkly clips, it'll be me dressed up enough for my relatively casual wedding.

Good luck in finding inspiration & thanks for asking this question, because it's given me some inspiration as well.
  • I have no idea, but I just wanted to say that I think what you did when you shaved your head was awesome!  I'm sure that however you decide to wear your hear will be fabulous!
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Birdcage veil? I love them and would look VERY chic!!!
    ~love...is not about the person you can live with... but the one you can't live without~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the 20's vintage style with the tucked in waves.

Photobucket
  • BTW, I'm a cancer survivor, and I think that's amazing that you shaved your head!  It takes a lot of bravery to go bald :)
    Photobucket
  • Just to touch upon what you said about extensions, it depends on what type you decide on.  I assume you'll want something on the less expensive side.  You can try the ones that clip on, like Jessica Simpson peddles.  See if you like it and wear it a few days to decide if you'd want to go long on your wedding day.  If you have a little extra money to spare, there are some that last for about a month, you can get it done a week or two and see if you like it.

Otherwise, I love some of the pics above.  My personal preference over a headband woudl be, a comb on the side would look really nice.  

• I love the ideas for the 20's style...so sexy and chic! Plus it was super awesome for you to shave your hair off in solidarity! My hair is also in the growing out stage. It will be longer by October; but I might add extensions because I have curly hair and a traditional mantilla veil. It looks oay with my current hair length; but my FI and I discussed it and I think having a little more hair (for me personally) will make me look like when I used to have longer hair. I could change my midn of course. It is your special day and you will be a beautiful bride regardless of having short or long hair. That's not why FI wants to marry you anyways!!!
  • Thanks everyone, this is really helpful! 

I feel like I should post a pic, since I'm having a bit of a hard time sorting through suggestions and I feel some might work better if my hair was longer.

This is as of last week, and I usually style it this way.
    Our hairless cat is mad that I'm no longer bald like him :-)

imageimageAnniversary
  • there is so much you can do with that length!  are you planning to keep your natural color (i love it btw - same as mine!) or are you going to play with color?  that can give you some style as well, depending on what you think about doing... and love the finger curl idea - i think you would look super cute with it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards