Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Bare minerals?

I am doing my own makeup for my wedding. I have always used liquid foundation, but even with my favorite Revlon colorstay foundation, I start to get shiny and smudgy after a few hours. I have combination skin, so it can be tricky making sure my skin stays hydrated but also having good shine/oil control. My friends all tell me to try Bare Minerals, but I hate paying a lot of money for makeup, because it usually doesn't work well for me and isn't worth the money. I am also very fair and get blemishes on a fairly regular basis (definitely monthly, if you know what I mean) and my skin tone is uneven, so I need really good coverage. 

I have thought about trying the Bare Minerals for my wedding day, but I thought I would see if anyone has tried it or uses it regularly. Is it worth the money? How long does it last? How is the coverage? Does it work well with other makeup, like brow pencil and eyeshadow? Have you used it with a mattifier and how did that go? 

If you have any other makeup suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you!
April 2011 November Siggy: Venue Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bare minerals?

•  Ive been using bare minerals for about 8 years and its great for everyday. Lightweight, comfortable, makes you look human and not like a cake face. I wore it for my engagement pics to test out how it would look with my photographer and I was actually quite pleased with how my skin looked. For the wedding, the only thing is it would most likely have to be re-applied. I havent made the decision on whether or not i'll be wearing it for my wedding but I am leaning more towards YES. only b/c its what my skin is used to and i dont want to break out right before my honeymoon in maui!
    it works great with other make up, shadow, liner etc.

I highly recommend you try it for yourself. I love it and think its worth the money. One $25 foundation lasts me about a year. Good luck dear!

P.S. In response to Pooh...I know what you mean. I noticed the ghost-ness years ago and used the mineral veil very lightly and that fixed the problem :)
  • One more thing jamjar....I havent tried the matte, only b/c I personally don't like the matte look. Bare Minerals allows me to still have a natural glow so much that people don't think I wear foundation. They just think I have great skin. Thats why I love it :)
  • I love bare minerals.  I use it everyday and have for about 6 years I think.  I have sensitive skin too and have never had a problem with it.  

For the wedding I am getting my makeup done, but the salon we are going to uses bare minerals for their make-up.  I have had it done there for 2 weddings I was in before and it looked great in pics and stayed on all day and night.  And its really light so you don't feel like you have 4 pounds of makeup on your face. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • sephora has a great return policy (you can return anything, used or not, within 30 days), so why don't you buy a bunch of stuff, try it out at home over a few days, and return whatever doesn't work for you? that way, you'll know what works and what doesn't, so you won't end up paying a lot of money for a product that's not a good match to your needs. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_bare-minerals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:6b2d448e-e353-4133-8463-7b47d5f24215Post:92e2cb15-483a-4538-91f9-8138db9acd30">Re: Bare minerals?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bare minerals? : I figured out what was causing it pretty quick-like, and stopped using it after maybe three months, so the damage hasn't been terrible.  Someone told me what mineral it was that causes it, but I've forgotten.  I noticed my face got itchy and I would get little pimples all over my face. 
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

That's good.  I used it for about 8 months before my doctors and I figured out that it was the make-up causing the problems.  They thought I had a hormonal problem because of the cystic acne, and the bad itching only happened when I was out in the sun or got a little overheated.  It was a slow process, gradually getting worse over time, so I didn't notice anything alarming for a little while after first starting to use it.  I came across an article about it online one time and they said it's the bismuth oxychloride in it that some people (very few) have a reaction to.         
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_bare-minerals?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:6b2d448e-e353-4133-8463-7b47d5f24215Post:bf0540dd-8288-4a11-a942-3898b12956f5">Re: Bare minerals?</a>:
    [QUOTE]sephora has a great return policy (you can return anything, used or not, within 30 days), so why don't you buy a bunch of stuff, try it out at home over a few days, and return whatever doesn't work for you? that way, you'll know what works and what doesn't, so you won't end up paying a lot of money for a product that's not a good match to your needs. 
    Posted by ag2037[/QUOTE]

<div>I had no idea! Thats good to know. I wonder if Ulta has a similar policy... I'm not a big fan of the people who work at my Sephora so I try not to go there very much. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you everyone for the advice! I'm so set in my makeup ways. I need to get out of my box a bit and try some new products.</div>
    April 2011 November Siggy: Venue Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I use Bare Escentuals, I worked at a store while I was in college and have been hooked on the stuff for like 10 years now.  You can order from QVC or at Sephora if there is a Bare Escentuals by you.  They also have this great pimple treatment that clears them up so quickly.  I love the stuff it's easy to use.  It last longer since it is minerals and doesn't clog your pores.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • it doesn't last very long at all for me... I usually have to reapply around lunch time.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Good to know!  I have a few other Smashbox products that I really love, so I'll have to try their foundation.  Their concealer is the only one I will use, and I love that their sets have photo step-by-steps!
  • I have melasma, which is blotchy dark spots on my face...it's very hard to cover and I've been using bare minerals for about a year and it does a great job.  I never reapply in a normal day but do if I'm going out after work.  With other makeup I had to reapply many times a day.  I'm glad to hear pooh's warning about using it with a professional photog though, I'd never heard that, in regular pics my skin looks just fine. 

I have heard that Lancome has a new mineral makeup that works better than bare minerals, but I haven't tried it....just an idea for you girls with sensitive skin...maybe that might work out differently for you.
    Good luck
  • Its the bismuth oxycholride in the BM that causes the irritation and other problems. Its in the mineral viel, I can use the foundation but not the MV.  I use minerals everyday from www.jlynnecosmetics.com, no bismuth in her's.  I found her on Mineral Makeup Mania.  I'm looking into using the Estee Lauder Double wear for my wedding day. I hope to get to one of my local EL counters this month or next and get a sample to see how it holds up.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited June 2010
    Can I just say wow! and thank you to all of you. I've been wearing Bare Essentials for two years now and I love how it feels like I have nothing on my face. But I had no idea it was causing me to have that "ghost" look!! I'm extremely fair (I say I'm part albino) so I'm used to being white -- but not THAT white in photos. I couldn't figure out why. I finally decided it was just how I photographed. Now I'm going out in search of that Smashbox stuff!! Smile
  • I used minerals in my profile pic and don't have the glow or ghost look.  Its not BM though, but I'm not wearing them for the wedding just in case!
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards