Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

FH's broken knuckle=wedding band drama!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or heard of this problem and has some solutions outside of surgery.

My FH fractured his knuckle on his ring finger about 4 years ago.  It never healed correctly and it's pretty crooked!  We went wedding band shopping today (mine is FAB) and he tried to squeeze a wedding band over the knuckle and then it was SO BIG once it rested on his finger!  He's worried that since it's so big, it could get hooked on something, ANYTHING and rip his finger off since it's tight to get around that knuckle.  Plus, who wants to wear a wedding ring that's too big for their finger.

What should we do?!  I hate the idea of the whole "hinge" ring because the whole meaning of a wedding ring is that it's a continuous circle, it goes on forever, and a hinge ring latches and comes apart and that loses the whole meaning to me!

I mean, I offered to rebreak his finger for him...not sure why he declinedInnocent

Thoughts?

Re: FH's broken knuckle=wedding band drama!

• Options
    Kpetty1010Kpetty1010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can get a thing called a "ring spacer" i belive, this is what i have to wear on my right hand with my mothers ring...its to big its like a small flexible piece of plastic that can be put on your ring and you can put it on and remove it at anytime. they dont cost very much and after a couple of days you dont even noticed that it is there.  I can no remeber where i got mine i think it might have been just at any jewlery store, ask them they could have a sloutin for you. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH has the same thing with his ring finger. It barely fits around his knuckle and is loose around his finger. I didn't know about ring spacers, I'm gonna have to look that up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

you can also get little permanent knobs put into your rings. my mom had really bony knuckles and had to buy her rings a size too big and get those put in. they're like tiny little balls of the same metal, usually 2, on the inside bottom. the ring is still big, but doesn't slide around. and, because it's just 2 little bits, you can wiggle it over the big knuckle easier than you can with a ring that's actually the smaller size.

alternatively, is there any chance you'd be okay with him wearing it on a different finger? i know it's a universal symbol here in the western world, but it's mostly about the symbology you imbue in the ring with your own traditions and what-not. you could consider having him wear it on his right hand. just a thought.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would say this: The continuous circle is a symbol of an unbreakable vow and undying love. I understand why this symbol is important you, it is to me as well, and I would want my husband to wear it on his left ring finger if at all possible. However, we are not perfect creatures and things happen like broken fingers setting badly. I think you're best option is the hinge ring for several reasons. One, you could get a spacer, but those are not comfortable, there is the possibility of getting it caught anyway (because it still leaves gaps on the side), and they can come off potentially exposing him to the same problem, getting it caught. Second, if the symbology is so important, then I cannot forsee you being okay with him wearing it on another finger. Third, no one but the two of you has to know that it hinges. It does not put an omen over your marriage vows, it simply modifies and adjusts to the imperfections you have and meets your needs as closely as possible to a perfect situation.

Best of luck what ever you decide!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dina972dina972 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would it make you feel better to know that in other countries, men wear the wedding band on the right hand ring finger? You're in love, you're getting married. that's whats most important. If the suggestions dont work, it will still be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards