Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

I can't decide if I want a veil...

I can't decide if I  want a veil or not... I'm leaning towards yes because it seems appropriate for a fall, vintage barn wedding, but I also feel like veils seem too cliche and theatrical.  I'll also be wearing my hair down and curly.
Oh and here's the dress (I have no idea why they have the model sitting scrunched up like that because it's hard to get the full effect with that view):
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Allover-beaded-lace-gown-with-empire-waist.-S8551_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Silhouette-Sheath
Photobucket

Re: I can't decide if I want a veil...

• Options
    Yes! Wear a veil. You could always wear a super modern one that was less cliche, like a birdcage veil. Or, wear a simple one and take it off after the ceremony. I think when they are attached lower on the back of the head, instead of right on top, they look less theatrical and cliche.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • Options
    I don't think you have to wear a veil unless you really want to but you may get that expression from your guest ..'where is her veil?" even then who cares.
    The veil just completes your look but I think with the dress you picked, it would look nicer if you had one. You can do a birdcage veil but I don't think it suits the dress though IMO.
  • Options
    Can you go back to the store, try on the dress and try on some veils? Take photos, too. No matter which you decide, you can't go wrong.

Personally, I don't want a veil. It just doesn't interest me.
  • Options
    This dress would look pretty either with a veil or some type of floral fascinator.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I love veils, I think that your wedding day is the one day that you can wear one! If you're not sure check out all the different styles. I had one that was smaller, and less dramatic but I liked the effect :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions!  My dress should be finished and in the store in July so I will just have to be patient untill then. :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I cant decide either. My hair is very long and I am wearing it down and curly. I have exactly 4 months to go so I have a little bit of time.

Let us know what you decide!
  • Options
    You won't know whether you want one until you try them on.  I didn't think I wanted one either and ended up wearing mine all night.
  • Options
    When I was first dress shopping I was really not interested in a veil. I saw them as old fashioned.

But when I found my dress,the sales lady brought out a veil that almost matched the lace detailing exactly on my dress so I tried it on. And it really completed the look but I was still not entirely convinced.
    My mom convinced me to buy the veil and if I chose not to wear it, it would not have been too much money wasted. (Since she was paying for the dress I couldn't really argue with her).

I'm glad I have it as an option but I am not going to decide until I go in for fittings next month and talk to my hair dresser about my hair.
    BabyFruit Ticker Me: 37 DH: 40 Married: 7/31/2011 TTC since September 2011 BFP: Nov. 22, 2012 EDD: July 29, 2013
  • Options
    I think you should try on some veils. You might be suprised at how much you like one. I wasn't a fan either, but then the bridal shop made me try one on with my dress. I was actually suprised that I liked it the long veil
  • Options
    I was on the fence about this same issue until last night when I went for my final fitting. I'm wearing a dress with tons of beautiful beading and detail in the back and had a custom fascinator made to go with the dress. I decided that it's going to take away from my dress and might get caught in the beadwork. I was set on the veil, until I really looked at my dress. Plus, my wedding is an outdoor at home wedding, so it's a little bit more of a garden wedding with a relaxed feel. If you're really not feeling the veil, think about a pretty headpiece--there are tons out there. Birdcage veils are lots of fun too! Best wishes!
  • Options
    I felt the same, I had decided not to get a veil. When purchasing the dress though, my sister and FSIL were really into the veils I tried on and made me think about it. In the end though I decided to not get one, and I agree with a PP, my dress is beautiful with little details on the top and back and I feel its beautiful the way it is without additional accessories. Also we are getting married at the beach and I am scared it will be flying around my head. I guess, just wait until you get your dress, try it on with and without a veil, but do what feels best to you J
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards