Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Products for fi?

So Fi is all upset after our engagement photo session.  I spent some  time  working on my look, and was using this as a way to try some things out for the wedding.  Airbrush tan, new products, new foundation application technique, etc.  The pics turned out great, and I actually think Fi looks fine, but he's self conscious about it. He thinks he looks pale and shiny, with bags under his eyes. I told him that the only reason I didn't look that way was because of cosmetics.  He thinks it's unfair, but refuses to use anything (like concealer) because it's not manly. 

So I'm not sure what to do. Given that we've been spending a lot of time outside, he won't look pale anymore, but since the wedding is in August, it's almost impossible for him to not look shiny.  He really hates it, so I'm looking for some kind of product he could use without sacrificing his manhood, or at least wouldn't be embarrassed to use in front of his groomsmen.  I've explained to him several times that lots of men use cosmetics when being photographed, but he won't budge.

What do you think? Any ideas for a "manly" anti shine product? For those of you who are married, did your DH use any products (cosmetic or otherwise) for the wedding?

Re: Products for fi?

• Mineral makeup. Tell him just to try it at home when no one is around. When he sees that you absolutely cannot tell that it is on, he will probably give in.
    Good luck. Oh yes, you can find it in the drugstores. Don't waste your money on BE. Revlon has a really good one and it should do the trick.
  • actuallly, my H was shiny and red throughout our ceremony and reception because it was so hot. you can't tell in the pictures, and I attribute that completely to our photographer. he wore no products whatsoever, except sunscreen.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_products-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:c69c47a9-bf0e-46a6-a7f5-bc21b5f9ea68Post:1bdc18c3-1d78-4270-ad2e-c782d52866f8">Re: Products for fi?</a>:
    [QUOTE]actuallly, my H was shiny and red throughout our ceremony and reception because it was so hot. you can't tell in the pictures, and I attribute that completely to our photographer. he wore no products whatsoever, except sunscreen.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

Sunscreen can cause shine, sparkles, and other problems with flash photography and is  big no, no on  your weddding day. This has been on my mind as all of my makeup that I currenty own has built in sunscreen. It is almost hard to find a good makeup that doesn't have it.
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_products-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:c69c47a9-bf0e-46a6-a7f5-bc21b5f9ea68Post:42a0d9fd-8eca-40e7-9b00-ea9c9a941491">Re: Products for fi?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Products for fi? : Sunscreen can cause shine, sparkles, and other problems with flash photography and is  big no, no on  your weddding day. This has been on my mind as all of my makeup that I currenty own has built in sunscreen. It is almost hard to find a good makeup that doesn't have it.
    Posted by twinmommy46[/QUOTE]
    depends on what kind of sunscreen it is. if it is a physical sunscreen, like zinc oxide, then yes. that's because it's a mineral. if it's a chemical sunscreen, there's less chance of it reflecting shine. I wore sunscreen too, under my foundation and all over my shoulders and arms and back.

and if you're looking for a foundation that is camera friendly, there is Smashbox Camera Ready foundation (that's what I wore) or Revlon now makes a camera friendly foundation that you can buy in drugstores (have not tried this).

Glenna Harding Photography
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_products-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:c69c47a9-bf0e-46a6-a7f5-bc21b5f9ea68Post:1843eb3f-808f-4761-8e34-a0d31a1eef4a">Re: Products for fi?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Products for fi? : depends on what kind of sunscreen it is. if it is a physical sunscreen, like zinc oxide, then yes. that's because it's a mineral. if it's a chemical sunscreen, there's less chance of it reflecting shine. I wore sunscreen too, under my foundation and all over my shoulders and arms and back. and if you're looking for a foundation that is camera friendly, there is Smashbox Camera Ready foundation (that's what I wore) or Revlon now makes a camera friendly foundation that you can buy in drugstores (have not tried this).
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]
    Good to know.  I actually think it depends on the amount and kind of sunscreen, but I have personally heard photogs cursing about having to retouch because of sunscreen. I don't know the cause or what kind you can and cannot wear, just that photographers warn against it. Don't know why with photo editing that is available, but then again I wil be having lots of candid shots taken by friends as well.
  • oil blotting sheets? and for me I wear clear maybeline makeup primer even if I don't wear makeup , it makes more pores look smaller, and cuts out redness and uneven skin, it feels like a moisterizer is mattifying and available at drug stores. so no weird makeup feeling for your guy
  • You can buy foundation primers that mattify, like Sephora brand. They are formulated to cut down shine, and he could just put it on like a lotion or creme, no makeup required.
    57=image 25image 32image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_products-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:c69c47a9-bf0e-46a6-a7f5-bc21b5f9ea68Post:42a0d9fd-8eca-40e7-9b00-ea9c9a941491">Re: Products for fi?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Products for fi? : Sunscreen can cause shine, sparkles, and other problems with flash photography and is  big no, no on  your weddding day. This has been on my mind as all of my makeup that I currenty own has built in sunscreen. It is almost hard to find a good makeup that doesn't have it.
    Honestly, you can get sunscreens that don't cause a lot of shine issues.  For my face, I use Aveeno infant/toddler sunscreen in SPF 55 (I have a skin disorder that makes me allergic to sunlight), and I have never had a problem with shine on that one.

If you can talk your FH into it, I do recommend just a little mineral powder.  I had a friend whose now wife made him wear concealer - so he used mine and a bit of my powder (I did all the applications) since we're similarly toned.  After the first 5 minutes, he didn't notice.  No one knew (except the WP members who were there), and I used good quality stuff that didn't run off in his mid-June sweat-fest (and they had a baby yesterday.  YAY!).

It's not a bad idea if it's something he's worried about.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_products-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:c69c47a9-bf0e-46a6-a7f5-bc21b5f9ea68Post:44680247-c934-49b5-81dd-1d95c440848c">Re: Products for fi?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mineral makeup. Tell him just to try it at home when no one is around. When he sees that you absolutely cannot tell that it is on, he will probably give in. Good luck. Oh yes, you can find it in the drugstores. Don't waste your money on BE. Revlon has a really good one and it should do the trick.

My FI uses Neutrogena mineral make up and he's as manly as they come! It comes with a brush applicator attached, so it's really easy for a guy to figure out. It goes on really sheer like a powder and doesn't show up at all. It really helps to even out skin tone without looking obvious. And the packging doesn't look too girly either so he probably won't feel too stupid if other guys see him using it.
  • Photoshop. Your photographer should be able to take care of that easy.
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just get oil blotting sheets for him to use just before pictures. I stay shine free for a couple hours usually after blotting with a couple of these. That way it's not "make-up"
  • Wow, thanks for all the sugguestions everyone! These are some great ideas. I did buy him a little mattifying primer over the weekend because it was on sale, and he actually tried it, so we might be on to something. 

Our photographer didn't do any retouching of our engagement photos, but we didn't really ask her to either, so that's something we could do. If nothing else, fi is really talented with photoshop, so he could probably fix them himself. 
  • I def second [or third?] the oil-blotting sheets. My FI uses mine all the time.
  • And if he is worried about under-eye circles, Loreal has this mineral eye roller thing - My FH uses it all the time, and it is designed for men, so he won't be ashamed to use it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards