Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Bad Trial Hair and Makeup -- Request a Refund?

After talking with a hair and makeup team and showing them photos of what I want for the wedding day, I thought I had finally found the right people for my hair and makeup.

I did the trial, and it looked terrible.  There was makeup caked against the sides of my nose and the mascara and eyeshadow had smeared significantly under my eyes only two house after it was applied (and I went straight home afterwards).

The hair was virtually nothing like the photos I had showed (I wanted hair pulled low on my head, near the nape of my neck but it was high up sort of like a prom do) and it "fell" soon after as well.

The people were really nice, so I feel badly telling them how dissapointed I was.  

Is it tacky/rude to ask for a refund?

Re: Bad Trial Hair and Makeup -- Request a Refund?

• Chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on.  I hated my first trial but paid for it and then found someone else. 

I'm assuming you did not book them for your wedding--if you did, then that's another issue and yes, you'll need to cancel your contract or negotiate a solution. 
  • Thankfully, I did not book them for the wedding or pay for anything other than the trial.  Whew!

Any other thoughts?
  • You can't get a refund, but you can learn that this team will probably not work for your wedding, but at least you did a trial and didn't see this first on your wedding day!
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • amcmahon4020amcmahon4020 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    As a MUA, the best advice I can give you is to be honest and provide feedback as you go. A lot of people (myself included sometimes) are too afraid to express their opinion because they are worried of offending someone, or being a pain in the butt. The reality is that if your MUA or hairdresser is a professional, not only will they welcome your feedback, they will thank you for it. How can we fix something if we don't see anything wrong with it?

Unfortunately, I don't think you have the right to ask for a refund-after all, you paid for their service. However, you would have every right to NOT book them for your wedding on the basis of artisic differences.

Good luck!
  • Definitely use it as a lesson learned. I just did a trial with a lady for my hair and she kept turning me sideways so that I couldn't look in the mirror (I was constantly asking her to turn me towards the mirror, and I was practically getting in to ARGUMENTS with her about it, and she would continually turn me away because "that's how she worked"...should've stopped her right then and there lol). She then put an entire bottle of hairspray on my head before letting me look even though I kept telling her to stop so I could look at it first, and when I looked at it....AWFUL. Looked like a hairstyle I had in JR high for a school dance. It was seriously hideous, nothing like the picture she had sitting in front of her, nothing like what I asked for. I tried to get her to fix it but by that time there was so much hairspray in my hair it just hurt for her to touch my head because she didn't know how to use a comb apparently.

Long story short...I now know what NOT to do at my hair trial (not be involved) and at my next trial I will be a lot more active in what they are doing to make sure I get exactly what I want. GL! =]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards