Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Pictures before ceremony

FI talked to the photographer today, who is a family friend. He suggested doing our pictures before the ceremony. The plan had been to do them after the ceremony and have snacks for guests when they arrive at the reception site, and then we would eat lunch when the BP arrives from pictures. 

I'm not superstitious, so that's not what I'm worried about. I just like the idea of "that moment" of him seeing me walking down the aisle. But then we could have "that moment" before the ceremony.

Has anyone else done pictures before?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Pictures before ceremony

• We're doing pictures beforehand.  It just makes much more sense, so we can go straight from the ceremony into the reception.  We're going to have a first look moment with just the two of us, but I don't think it will detract from "that moment" in the ceremony.  It's still going to be me walking down the aisle toward him, no matter how much we've seen of each other previously.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We're taking our pictures prior to the ceremony as well.  Logistically it just makes sense for us. 
  • Lots of people do their pics before.  I'm planning to do mine after just because I have my heart set on his not seeing me until I walk down the aisle.  I think you're fine whichever way you decide to go.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • We're going to do a first reveal for several reasons.  1. So that I can get some of the tears out of me before the ceremony. 2. To have a private moment with him on our day. 3. To get some of the pictures out of the way...the ones of just us.

We talked about it and FI said that taking all of the pics before the ceremony wouldn't feel right to him because we're technically not married yet.  He thought the pics with the family and WP in the church should be taken after you are married.  We are also going to give our photographer a list of the family and WP shots we want (I.e. Bride and immediate family, groom and immediate family, etc) so that he can go down the list and snap them quicker.
  • 2 of my DD's chose to do this, loved it, and I think it is a wonderful idea.  They each got to have that first look privately away from everyone else, then they got about 20 minutes alone just to talk, calm each other down and have a special moment.  There is NO way they would have had 20 minutes privately any other time of the day.  When my girls came down the aisle, their husbands still had that wonderful magical expression on their faces.  I always encourage couples to consider this.
  • I'm not doing it..

I'm getting as much pictures done before the wedding, but I don't want FI to see me until I'm walking down the aisle so we are taking some after also.  We are having a buffet style reception so it really isn't a big deal to take some extra time after the ceremony to take pictures.

I know several people recommend doing them before, but you have to do what you want and what you think will be best for you.  I just know that personally this is something I have always wanted and I really didn't want to budge on and FI agrees.  

Do what works best for you and FI!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies! I adamently said "No" when he brought it up but was still thinking about it. I told my mom and she freaked out, telling me how beautiful I looked in my dress and how he should see me thencoming down the aisle (note: please don't think I'm conceited. I'm just a tom-boy so the girly dress is a big deal! Besides, she's my mom; she has to think that :o)).

The practical side of me says before, but I do think we'll stick with pictures after. We only have 2 on each side for the bridal party and we don't want a lot of poses. PLUS the reception is in a park lodge, so we can sneak outside during the (buffet) reception for any additional family photos.

The photographer is excellent, but much like FI, is very practical (*cough*typical male*cough*), so the sentiments can be lost. But they both know better than to argue with the bride :o)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are doing ours before, BUT I am insisting on a grand reveal moment. There is a gorgeous staircase at our hotel which I will come down and he will be waiting - and we'll have one photographer on each of us to capture each second!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been on the fence about this too. My fiance doesn't want to see me before the wedding, so what we decided is that the photographer can take separate family pictures and separate bridal and grooms party pictures. Get everything done that does not involved us together. Then we fewer shots we need during the cocktail hour but he still doesn't get to see me beforehand. It seems to makes sense, so hopefully it will work out!
  • We decided about a month before to do a reveal and I'm so glad we did because it made the rest of the day so relaxing.  You can view the pictures in my married bio.  Capturing my husband's reaction was so important to me and when it is done privately, I think they tend to show more emotion.  IMO, it was even more special doing it this way, but just do what is best for you.
  • To save some time, you can do bride/bridesmaid and groom/groomsmen and separate family photos before the ceremony, and the joint ones after.

• We are going to do a "reveal" and then go do all our bridal party pictures and save  family and alone pictures for after the ceremony since we will have some time between the ceremony and cocktail hour. It had to happen for us time wise and because of the amount of money you spend on food and everyone is coming from out of town...etc...we want to enjoy it and spend more time with everyone!
  • We are going to do separate photos (girls only, guys only, me w/ my family, him w/ his) in the afternoon before our ceremony, then do together photos after. The only tradition I wanted to stick to was him not seeing me or the dress before I walk down the aisle. It also helps that the only part of the party we will be missing is the caller for our contra dance (like square dancing) giving a beginner's lesson in contra dancing and waltzing to all of our guests. Hopefully they will enjoy it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards