Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Do we have to get our marriage license in the county we are getting married in?

I am aware that you need to get your marriage license from the same state you are getting married in. However, does this rule also apply to the county? My pastor is registered in Los Angeles county, and we are getting married in Riverside County. I know for Riverside County, he would have to apply in person to be recognized as a legal officiant in the county... and that is at least an hour drive from where he lives, so I'd feel really bad!

Re: Do we have to get our marriage license in the county we are getting married in?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_marriage-license-county-getting-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b7f7f611-9ee2-431d-bcb1-abe2566bb474Post:739ea243-28ee-4e47-978f-3c63588ede3f">Do we have to get our marriage license in the county we are getting married in?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am aware that you need to get your marriage license from the same state you are getting married in. However, does this rule also apply to the county? My pastor is registered in Los Angeles county, and we are getting married in Riverside County. I know for Riverside County, he would have to apply in person to be recognized as a legal officiant in the county... and that is at least an hour drive from where he lives, so I'd feel really bad!
    Posted by shiloh777[/QUOTE]

I think this is something that could vary depending on the state. I would check with the county you intend to marry in and perhaps they can direct you better. And you might want to try posting this on your local CA board and maybe the ladies there will know.

I know we had to apply for our marriage license in the county we were married in, but that was in Ohio.
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Usually it is in the county, but some clerk of courts recognize it as long as it is within the state. You have to check with the clerk of that county. Each clerk maybe able to decide for themselves so make sure you talk them (same as for any legal proceeding procedures - each county has different things that they might require).

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    This can probably be answered with a quick phone call to the clerk in the county you want to be married in.  I would imagine that many of the counties in SoCal have reciprocity, but they might not.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Yep - just call your county clerk or register of deeds office.  Most of the time they can answer your question in a matter of seconds since they get questions like that all the time.  In my state we have to go to our county office for where we're getting married.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    The rule if you are an Ohio resident is you have to get it in the county where one of you lives, regardless of where you are getting married. If you are from out of state, then it is where you are getting married.

I would just call. This is the kind of thing that varies so much from state to state.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this question, I definitely had not thought about it and our officiant is coming from OOT! I will be calling shortly [: 
  • Options
    call your county or town clerk.

here in MA, you can get a license in any MA city or town and it can be then used in any MA city or town.
  • Options
    It really varies from place to place.

Here, you can get it in any county, so long as you live in the state.  But if you live out of state, you have to get it in the county where you're getting married.
  • Options

This should be posted on your state government website some place.  I looked on MN's site and discovered that in Minnesota you just need to get the licences in MN and it does not matter what county you get it in.   Just GOOGLE CA Marriage License, the first website that should pop is the .GOV website. However for the officiant question you may want to call so you get the correct answer that one is a bit more specific.

Good Luck, and it's smart to try to find these things out early.

"Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • Options
    You should call the court clerk. I know in Pennsylvania ours are good to get married anywhere in the state.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards