Wedding Party

Re: jikln

• Options
    Nope.  I was the woman of honor for my male best friend.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    As far back as 7 years ago, my friend had her brother as her honor attendant, and her DH had his sister as his honor attendant.  It's become more and more common as people realize that WPs are not about gender (or symmetry) but completely about having those you care most about stand with you on your wedding day.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    It's perfectly fine to have a man as your attendant. 
  • Options
    Have him on your side.  But I'd call him a bridesman or bride's attendant rather than bridesmaid.  

Mixed gender wedding parties are very common.  
  • Options
    Of course you can! Just like everyone else has said it's becoming more prevalent. My younger brother's best friend got married in June and he absolutely insisted that his sister be with him. Told his now wife that she couldn't have her. It was never a question with them, it was just how it was suppose to be. She was in all the photos of the groomsmen and it was just normal.
  • Options
    Totally fine.  My brother stood on my side, DH's close female friend stood on his.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My brother is going to be my Man of Honor at my wedding next year.
  • Options
    Well I don't think the issue is whether you should have him on your side or not- it sounds like it's more about the fact that you've already asked someone to be your MOH.  I think that it would be extremely rude to go back on that and change her role.  I don't think that for any of this it matters the gender.  You asked a friend to be your MOH and she is expecting to help you out and stand next to you on your wedding.  It would be awful to go back on that despite the original reasons you choose her.  I think the only thing you can do is either have him stand for you but not next to you or make him co-MOH.  This seems like tricky terrority because you already have a MOH.  Perhaps if you could talk to your MOH about adding another MOH and make sure she is ok with it (or at least knows about it) before you ask him to be a CO-MOH.  Also, perhaps you can come up with a clever name for it beside MOH, that will make him feel appreciated, but also not make your MOH like you are giving away her job/title.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_friend-guy-can-him-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:05f6edb4-0ca8-4a7b-94c6-61a613c8fdfePost:ce3d68ed-5c14-4676-ac3c-7b5e0e26a6df">Re: My best friend is a guy can I make him a bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks to everyone who posted on this it was very helpful however I'm about to make it a bit more complicated..... I already asked my best girl friend to be my maid of honor (l<u><strong>ets face it girls, not only do we choose our MOH by how close you and the person are but by how much they can contribute to the wedding)</strong></u> She and I have been close for years and is an extrememly handy person to have around because she's very crafty and has amazing ideas. In the beginning it was between her and my guy friend, don't get me wrong i'm happy I choose her but the MOH always stands next to the bride and I think it would look funny if I had her next to me and then my guy friend followed by the other girls. My question is can I ask him to stand next to me without crossing a line with my MOH? Or would it be better if he was in the line up second after her? But again would it look too abnormal?
    Posted by Sarabella009[/QUOTE]

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  When you choose a WP, you are choosing a Wedding Party, not Wedding Planners.  The fact that you chose someone for "how much she could contribute  to your wedding" is just wrong. 

As for how to line up, you're worrying about how the photos will look?  That makes as much sense as choosing someone because she'll do stuff for you.  Your priorities are completely out of whack
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards