Wedding Party
Options

Pregnant Bridesmaid... What to Do??

So, my SIL is pregnant with her second child.  I am very excited for her and my brother!  The problem is she is going to be 7 months pregnant by the time the wedding comes around.  When she ordered the BM dress, she didn't know she was pregnant.  Needless to say, the dress is not going to fit.  Is this something a seamstress can alter for her?  The dresses will be here in a few weeks, so I think it's too late to order a larger one that will fit her.  I don't want to see her get screwed and have to buy a new dress (either matching the other BM's or not).  What should we do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pregnant Bridesmaid... What to Do??

• Options
    I don't know where you got them from, but I remember when I was once a bridesmaid talking to a manager at david's bridal. She said they made to sure make special accomodations for pregnant bridesmaids - as in, even if they have a rule about exchanging dresses, they are more willing to bend that rule - especially if the girl didn't know she was pregnant at the time. Try asking the store what they can do...you never know until you ask! And probably the sooner the better. If Davids Bridal is willing to be so flexible (and, to me, they seem to be one of the least flexible stores ever), then there's a good chance that your store will be easy to work with, too.
  • Options
    Well...  I'd be flexible with her.  I don't know what the dress you picked looks like, but unless it's going to be flattering on a pregnant woman, I'd let her pick her own dress, closer to the wedding, in a coordinating color.  Less stress on you, less stress on her, less stress for everyone all around.
  • Options

If you have a good seamstress, they can let the dress out for her and also add fabric to the dress if necessary.  You'd just have to get them to order the fabric in enough time. 

Yesterday I had an alteration appointment and another bride was there.  She was pretty tall and with flats on, her dress was near her ankles.  The seamstress had the store order additional fabric to lengthen the dress.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My MOH is pregnant.

We went to David's Bridal the other day. She will be 3+ months at the wedding (we don't actually know how far along she is), and they plan to put gussets in the sides to accommadate a bump.

As for the flexibility of David's Bridal. You can exchange anything with a reciept for equal or greater value. Greater value does a lot of talking :) I have done numerous exchanges due to sizes being wrong (BMs are all busy, with different schedules, they have given me guestimates...lol) The biggest thing with DB is their lead-times. My wedding is July 16th and I have shoes coming May 25th, clutches coming June 5th, a headpiece that won't arrive until July 5th... all of which was orddered close together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Talk to the salon and ask if they have an exchange policy.

If not, take the dress to a good seamstress and ask what she recommends. If she can let the dress out a bit and add a belly panel, see if you can purchase a matching shawl or extra fabric for her to work with.

If not, search on eBay and Craigslist for a maternity dress from the same designer in the same color/fabric combo.

Worst-case scenario (which wouldn't even be a big deal), she can get a maternity dress from a department store/maternity store in a color from your wedding color scheme, or a neutral color like black (and you can use flowers or a shawl to add in your wedding color).
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!  I am going to talk to the shop today and see what they can do.  Have a good week!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have a BM who will be 7th months along by the time the wedding comes too! We ordered her a completely different dress that has a little more room to grow. We're going to have it altered for her last minute for length. I don't think its a big deal for her to have a different dress than the others. People will see that its for obvious reasons. Good luck!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was 7 months at my sister's wedding. I still have the gown and am willing to part with it.  Not sure what color you want them to wear though. (Its brown) 

If you cant get it worked out with a seamstress, I found the dress on an Ebay store for $80. I got it in less than a week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards