Wedding Party
Options

Help, silk dupioni question...

My BMs picked up their dresses this weekend and all of them noticed spots of white fabric on them. The dresses are chocolate brown silk dupioni, which i understood to have a nubby texture with a pretty consistent color. But all of the dresses have lines or spots of white fabric, which is very noticeable on a dark brown dress. Is this normal??

Re: Help, silk dupioni question...

• Options
    The sample dress the girls tried on was a light blue, and i didn't notice any white threads. The sample fabric in chocolate brown they showed me didn't have any white threads either. And the research I did on the fabric explained that the fabric had knots or nubs, which would be thicker, but didn't mention any white threads.
  • Options
    The girls in my daughter's wedding all wore dupioni silk in Watters nutmeg color.  They didn't have any lines or spots of white fabric showing.  What did they say at the shop when you picked up the dresses? 
  • Options
    The owner of the shop just kept telling me things like "that's the way the fabric is supposed to be", and "no one else has ever complained". One of the dresses has a white spot right in the middle of the chest (very noticeable) and another dress has a white line across the skirt from seam to seam.
  • Options
    I understand how frustrated you must feel.  It doesn't sound like the manufacturer did a very good job dying the fabric.  Have you had a neutral party look at it?  Sometimes, when emotions are involved, things look like neon signs to us when other people who aren't involved don't even notice them.If a truly neutral party thinks it looks obvious, I'd get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they say.  Unfortunately, once the shop and the manufacturer have your money, they often turn totally deaf!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! My fiance noticed it right away too, but I'm going to try to get the opinion of a friend who hasn't heard the story yet.
  • Options
    do you mind telling who made the dresses?
  • Options
    If you aren't happy with them and the sample wasn't like it then speak to the manageress again and  tell her you are unhappy with them and give her 3 options: -1) They can re-dye the dresses to the same colour as the swatch you chose from2) If they won't re-dye them... ask for the dresses to be made in a different fabric that isn't blotchy (from what you've said this isn't standard with natural silk)3) She can refund you and you'll go elsewhere.alternatively, if you decide you can live with it, ask if you can have a discount - they aren't perfect and they aren't up to the quality you would expect or were promised, you shouldn't be paying full price for them.With all that said, I'm sure no-one will notice on the day and they will all still look lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards