Wedding Party

Groomsmen in suits?

It's early, but my bridesmaids want to start looking for their dresses so I'm starting to think about coordinating the groomsmen. Someone suggested letting them buy nice suits rather than renting tuxes so that they can keep them. Will this look tacky? The wedding is not extremely formal, but the girls will be wearing coordinating dresses, I'll be doing the white dress thing, etc.

Re: Groomsmen in suits?

• ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    No, it won't look tacky. All 7 men in our WP had different black suits on and I couldn't tell the difference.
  • It won't look bad. We had our guys wear their own black suits with a white shirt, while my husband wore a black and white pinstriped suit. We bought our guys printed ties and my hubby wore a plain colored tie, and they all wore black and white Converse. Ours was a daytime event and not formal. And then my girls wore knee length dresses. It coordinated really well!!
  • It's fine to wear suits as long as you're not having a really formal wedding. A white dress and coordinating BM dresses don't decide the formality ... the time of day, the location and the dressiness of the attire do. However, your FI should talk to them about it. Some guys might rather rent a tux for a day than go out and spend a lot of money on a suit. Your FI should ask them for their budgets, then determine from there whether a suit or a tux is the best way to go.
  • It's fine.  They may be able to rent the suits as well.  Your FI should ask them individually what their budget is prior to figuring out attire. 
  • H and his GM wore suits for our wedding and it looked great. Tuxes would have been too formal for our venue. They didn't even wear ties.. *gasp* and our wedding still looked great.
  • Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking, but I've been to a total of 5 weddings in my life so what do I know...We're only having three groomsmen and two are our siblings (re: mommy and daddy will be paying :)), so I'll have him ask the third groomsmen which he would prefer. We were both in his wedding and required to buy ridiculously priced tux/dress so I don't feel too horribly about it possibly being slightly more than average ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards