Wedding Party

BM Hair Opinions?

I am paying for all of my bridesmaids to get their hair done. Would it be okay if I requested that they wear their hair up (in any style of their choosing)?

I don't want to upset anyone, and I knew I'd get honest feedback on TK.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BM Hair Opinions?

• I agree with Stage. I really don't like wearing my hair up, and I would be unhappy if someone made me wear it up for their wedding. I would do it if the bride really wanted it, but it would be grudgingly. I don't see the need for everyone's hair to look the same or similar.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with JustSayYes. If someone brings it up, you can give an opinion. But I know that the first time I was a BM I was super excited to look at styles and pick out what I want - it would have sucked if someone told me I had to do something different. Also, as Stage said, some people may have a real issue with hair up for whatever reason and then feel uncomfortable saying no.
  • This is all great advice! Thank you! I think my BMs will probably ask me about their hair, but I will just tell them to do whatever they're comfortable with. I'd rather they feel beautiful than uncomfortable all night.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PP's have already covered it, and seems like you are taking their advice which is good.  For me, my hair is my favorite feature (long and curly with zero frizz!) and the only time I wear it up is to go to the gym, so I'd be pretty bummed if someone asked me to wear it up for a weddding.  I think the only time I'd consider or want an updo is if I was at a strictly outdoor wedding in the dead heat of summer. 
  • Ditto Stage. Whenever there are clone bms (dress, hair, nails, BM necklace) I always think the bride is crazy. 
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    ditto PPs.  When it comes down to it I think a lot of people associate getting their hair done / fancy with an updo anyway.  I gave my girls zero direction and they all ended up doing some version of an updo (it was also July; so the heat may have helped).  They were all pretty distinct in person and there was a mix of straight up vs a side-design, but they probably look kinda like clones in the photos, haha.

ETA - technically, since you're paying for it you COULD require an updo.  But if it's not really important to you it will probably make your girls more comfortable if you let them pick
  • No, don't give them any rules about the style.  That's very nice that you're paying for it, but they don't have to be clones.
  • I think its a little harsh. I mean, I would do it if I were a bridesmaid and a bride asked me, but I have very long, very thick hair and it literally gives me a migrage to have to all piled up on my head for a long time. I'd probably get it done in an updo for the ceremony and pull it out as soon as the reception got going and then it would really look like a hot mess. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for all of the honest opinions! I will definitely be letting them choose whichever hairstyle they want. Don't want to be a bridezilla! lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • my wedding is in June and I already told my bridesmaids that my only crazy bride rule is hair up. it really depends on your bridal party and since they are probably the people you are closest to, why nor suggest it? my reason is simply that it is very humid here in the summer and my ceremony is outside. my hairdresser even said she will tell everybody to wear it up because of the weather and the overall look. my wedding . party is made up of my 2 sister's, one cousin and my best friend of 18 years. they all said they would have wanted it up.anyway. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards