Wedding Party
Options

Re-wear BM dress?

The post below that said, and I'm paraphrasing "No really.....this dress can be worn again!" got me to thinking.

Has anyone here, anyone, ever had a BM dress that they've worn again, either short, long, or cut off to wear?  I don't mean a LBD or an off the rack dress from Macy's, but a real honest to God BM dress from DB or Alfred Angelo or another designer/store?

Everyone says it, but I've never known anyone who actually does wear the dress again.
"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146

Re: Re-wear BM dress?

• Options
    Nope.

Bought one from DB for a friend's wedding and actually thought I would (2 piece mix and match) use the top for a NYE top or something since it was platinum but it never happened.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Yup.  Several.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    I've never been a BM, but there are some really cute dresses at DB that I would wear again.
  • Options
    No, I've only been in two weddings and both dresses were very much bm dresses, but I was fine with that. I did like the dresses since the bride in each wedding let us pick, but only for the wedding, not for anything else.

H's cousin went with bm dresses from J. Crew for her wedding and if I was one of the bms I think I would wear that dress again.
  • Options
    Nope.  I was in about 6 weddings so far and have never worn those dresses again.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Nope.  Both are actually re-wearable, but when a wedding comes along, I get really excited to go buy a new dress instead of rewearing one from another wedding.
  • Options
    One, when I was a junior bm when I was 12.  That was 16 years ago...vastly different styles.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nope.  Only the one you don't count because I got to choose my own and got it at Dillards.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nope.  I don't mind buying a dress for a single occasion like a wedding.  I would probably do the same as a guest.  My problem is if I have no say in the price or the style.  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I was only a BM once. And it was the infamous "Orange Horror" for BSC friend (Who insisted we could cut it and wear it again).

We all know I never wore that hideous thing again.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I've never been a bm, but 3 of my bm have worn their dress again (I have pictures to prove it!), 1 says she really likes the dress and is hoping to wear it again, and I think the other two have sold theirs.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    I rewore my bridesmaid dress from my sister's wedding as the guest book attendant for my friend's wedding, just with a different sash.  I still have all of my dresses from my high school dances in my costume box, so the bridesmaid dress will probably join them.

My girls did the LBD thing, so hopefully they actually will have a chance to wear them again.  (One actually wore something she already owned!)
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    The dresses for my brother's wedding were navy blue satin a line dresses with a thin champagne ribbon and small off center bow just under the bust line.

After the wedding, I took it to a seamstress and had it cut down to cocktail length.  It's a gorgeous dress that I get a lot of compliments on.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I've only been in one wedding and I have never and would never wear it again. My friend tried to say how I could wear it again, it's so great! blah blah blah.

When the hell am I ever going to wear that turquoise Alfred Angelo gown again? At what event could I possibly wear this to? Her wedding was about two years ago. Not only have I gained weight since then, I haven't been to any special events since her wedding. And even if I had been, why would I wear such a fancy dress to it?
  • Options
    I have never worn a bm dress again even when I got to pick out the dress. If a bride is interested in having her bms potentially wear them again, she needs to let them pick them out, but also consider the color and fabric choice. Because of that second part, I can't wear my bm dress. I HATE chocolate brown or any color of brown....guess what color the dress is?

It infuritates me when a bride tells the bms "If you shorten it, you can wear it again." I figure the reason why they say it is because they honestly feel a little bad that they forced their friends to buy a shiitty dress. This is exactly why I never uttered those words.

I am happy to say that 3 out of 4 of my bms have worn their dresses again....and they were Jim Hjelm dresses, black tafetta, and they picked them out themselves.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options

Yes I have many times :o)

~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, kinda...
    1st- My little sister wore one that I had from a wedding that was actually cancelled 10 days before (and never worn but not returnable) from DB to her Sorority Formal.  Really cute and got lots of compliments.

2nd-DB has a new cotton-ish more casual line, and I actually bought a short one in a unique color to wear as a guest to a wedding this past month at a Country Club.

3rd- I keep all the other really formal ones in our costume trunk for Halloween and dress up... throw on a sash and tiara and they make great "miss america/beauty queen" costumes for my nieces for theme parties.  :-)

Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I bought a black satin DB dress to wear in one of my best friend's weddings.  It look like crap on me.  A few months later a good friend of mine was asking if any of us had a LBD she could borrow for her grandparents' anniversary party.  I showed her the dress, she put it on and it fit her like a dream.  Because I knew I'd never wear it again, I just gave it to her outright.  She's worn it at least five times since then and she loves it!  When it came time to pick BM dresses for my wedding, she bought the same dress in red, because as she said "I know it looks good on me and I'll wear it over and over again."  So I guess that one was a winner for someone!

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Nope, I only re-wore a BM dress that I bought off the rack at Macys.  One of my BMs already wore the BM dress for my upcoming wedding  to another wedding- and may wear it again to another before the wedding.  God, I hope David's Bridals makes a durable dress :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    As a bride, I refused to say that my BMs could wear the dress again - I mean if they want to then great, but let's be honest about the fact that they're most likely just buying a one-use dress as a favor to me.

That said, I've only been in a wedding as a jr. BM when I was 12, and I did wear that dress again (to my school's father-daughter formal the next year). But I distinctly remember keeping it and considering it for something like winter formal a couple years later and deciding that it was "too bridesmaid-y".
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yep, I wore my dress from my sister's wedding to my senior prom.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've reused dresses for sorority banquet (that's pretty common as the youngest sisters often re-wear their prom dresses).  Once I was no longer in my early 20s I secretly hated when my friends put me in BM dresses that looked like prom dresses, and picked colors that looked awful on me.  Needless to say the local charity that collects dresses for prom in the inner city schools has gotten several from me!   But it's proper BM etiquette to let the bride do whatever she wants.  I found this to be a pain because I genuinely wanted something my BMs liked and could re-wear, and they kept saying "It's your wedding we will wear whatever you want".  I did take all 4 dress shopping and we picked out the dress together, so hopefully they will re-wear it, it's something I would re-wear.
    patina green with black lace)
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • Options
    Cat24Cat24 member
    First Comment
    Patineuse I would totally have that hemmed at the knee and wear it again....sooo pretty
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards