Wedding Party
Options

Flower wreath for bridesmaids?? I'm having a meltdown...

I am having an outdoor July wedding that is bird themed. This weekend my mom went out of town and purchased paper flower hair wreaths for all my bridesmaids and flower girl. The bridesmaid dresses are whipped peach, and the other wedding colors are lots of muted shades of pink.

I'm just not convinced that this will look right. My mom is so excited about these, and I don't want to waste her money, but I feel like the crown is maybe more Renaissance and is usually seen on children, not a whole bridal party. And the colors of the paper flowers don't seem to go with anything else...

I don't want to make a big deal of this, but is it going to be a big disaster??!! :(

I attached a picture of the flower wreaths, a peach swatch of the dresses, and the bouquet I'm having so you can get an idea of how this all fits together.

Help I need advice so I can calm down already.

Re: Flower wreath for bridesmaids?? I'm having a meltdown...

• Options
    Are those the actual flower headbands? If so, yeah, I think the colors do not go.  I also agree wtih you that htey are very juvenile.  I'd have an honest talk wtih your mom and just tell her you don't really like them and you don't want to make your BMs wear them.

Of course, this will depend on how your mom will take it.  If it will devastate her, then I might consider sucking it up.  But honestly, I really don't like them and I would have been pretty annoyed at my mom if she bought them without asking me and then expecting me to like them.  Is there any way she can return them?
  • Options
    yeah....those are pretty awful...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You could placate your mom by saying to her what a lovely bridesmaid's gift.  Unfortunately the colors of the wreathes do not blend with the colors of the wedding.
  • Options
    Maybe you could spray paint them ivory or pink or something?  Maybe?
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    Def not a fan.... sorry.
    If your mom is anything like mine, she'll be mad at first but then get over it.  Just make sure you have multiple valid reasons for not liking them (this shouldn't be hard) and stand your ground.
    Dont say "well I posted it on the knot......"
    I screwed that up one time and said it... didn't go over well... lol

good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_flower-wreath-bridesmaids-im-having-meltdown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:2bb7a6d9-f5eb-48db-84cc-ab78c5c9b549Post:ec85d966-9a7e-4010-aaa4-c4edb98134e3">Re: Flower wreath for bridesmaids?? I'm having a meltdown...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Def not a fan.... sorry. If your mom is anything like mine, she'll be mad at first but then get over it.  Just make sure you have multiple valid reasons for not liking them (this shouldn't be hard) and stand your ground. <strong>Dont say "well I posted it on the knot......"</strong> I screwed that up one time and said it... didn't go over well... lol good luck!
    Posted by MrsCoopDawg3467[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I made that mistake when trying to explain to my mom why we shouldn't have a cash bar.  I believe her response included a snort, an eyeroll, and "Yeah, like they know what they're talking about."  Because, of course, my mother knows everything...so if you disagree, you're just wrong and have no idea what you're talking about [sarcasm font]

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    I would just say, "I really appreciate your kindness, Mom, but that's not really the look I want for the BMs. Here's a picture of what I was going for ... want to come to the florist/craft store with me and help me get these things?"
  • Options
    Those just don't go with your wedding at all! I would find a nice way but stand firm in saying NO.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't insult them, outright. Let your mom know that they don't fit in with the color or style of the bm's dresses.

If your mom is a 'crafter,' she might be able to find another use for them. Crafters seem to enjoy taking things apart and making them into other things. Dont' be surprised if they show up as centerpieces at your shower, though : )

• Options
    "forget" them at home. 
  • Options
    Ok, so I'm not crazy...that's good to know. I totally agree with all of you. Thank you so much for the response.

Someone recommended that I get excited about using them for the rehearsal dinner, which is going to take place outside in a garden. So, I can totally live with that!!
  • Options
    Um if I were your BM I would rather drop dead before putting that on my head.  I most probably would tell your mom that it looks awful and I'm not wearing it.  I'm on your side here.  Tell your mom that they just don't go.  Hopefully she can return them or something.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Any possibility that when she sees them next to the swatch - like we just did - she will realize that they don't match?

• Options
    Don't dress up your girls for the rehearsal dinner. That's going overboard.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards