Wedding Party
Options

Flower girl dresses

I am having one or two flower girls in our wedding, and am wondering what I should have them wear. Our wedding will be in August, so it will most likely be pretty hot and sunny outside. I've been to weddings where the flower girls wore leotards with tulle tutus, which were absolutely adorable. I also saw an idea on Ruffled where the flower girls wore these beautiful handmade feathered wings and had wreaths in their hair so they looked like flower fairies. In addition, my mom has suggested a simple ivory knee length dress with flowers on it. Or I could have the girl(s) wear a dress in the same color as the bridesmaids, but I'm not sure if I want everyone in the wedding party to wear essentially the same thing. Any advice/ideas?

Re: Flower girl dresses

• Options
    Don't even worry about fg dresses right now. Wait until after easter to get a good deal on a regular dress. Anything associated with weddings has a higher price tag!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    I agree with Stina. I would definitely wait until after Easter. Department stores will be giving those dresses away, and they are super adorable. Also, you never know how much a little girl is going to grow in a few months, so getting your FGs dresses closer to your wedding will ensure a good fit.

We didn't have FGs at our wedding, but if we did, I think I would have given their parents some simple requests like, pastel/bold colors and something they'll be comfortable in in the heat, and then let them find something on their own.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also, I am not a fan of making my fgs into fairies. Ribbon wands, wings, etc. are seen as silly and not for weddings on this site if I'm remembering correctly.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I'm with stina.  I know some people like them, but dressing up little girls in what are, essentially, Halloween costumes just doesn't say "wedding" to me.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_flower-girl-dresses-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2ebb9ab6-0e16-4163-84e8-e4199fbf8dc8Post:ecbbf64a-b3f2-4580-be15-e12d4aba5ce7">Flower girl dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having one or two flower girls in our wedding, and am wondering what I should have them wear. Our wedding will be in August, so it will most likely be pretty hot and sunny outside. I've been to weddings where the flower girls wore leotards with tulle tutus, which were absolutely adorable. I also saw an idea on Ruffled where the flower girls wore these beautiful handmade feathered wings and had wreaths in their hair so they looked like flower fairies. In addition, my mom has suggested a simple ivory knee length dress with flowers on it. Or I could have the girl(s) wear a dress in the same color as the bridesmaids, but I'm not sure if I want everyone in the wedding party to wear essentially the same thing. Any advice/ideas?
    Posted by SereJane[/QUOTE]
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    I'd just ask their parents to get them some pretty summer dresses in pastel-ish colors.  Something in line with your mom's suggestion sounds about right, and they can get something like that after easter clearance for cheap.  

I agree that you should wait.  Their dresses won't need to be ordered, so they don't need to worry about them early.  You should worry about your dress first, then the BM dresses, and then think about FG dresses.  Kids grow so fast that it's hard to pick a dress more than a couple of months out.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, I'll definitely be waiting until after Easter, I bet we'll be able to score an adorable dress for cheap! Plus by then I'll know for sure whether the flower girl(s) will even be able to come to our wedding. And thanks for the opinions on the fairy option, it looked adorable in the pics I saw but I was unsure about how to actually translate it into real life without it looking completely ridiculous!
  • Options
    I would just tell the parents what color dress and have them find something appropriate. Because kids grow so fast they probably won't get a chance to ever wear it again (which is why I can't believe some of the FG dresses at Davids cost $80+, so insane). I think the tutu/leotard idea is odd, I've seen it on the internet and not in real life but it seems weird to put them in a costume. Don't get me started on wreaths/wings.
    Photobucket
  • Options

Haha well we aren't having a Ren wedding so I guess the fairies are out ;)
    My dress is lace and ivory and the bridesmaid dresses are strapless knee length dresses, so I think I'll go with a simple dress for the FG and have my mom make a cute sash or something to tie it in with the rest of the WP. Plus, my aunt, who is the mom of one of the flower girls, has a killer sense of style AND bargain hunting skills so I have no doubt she'd be able to find something awesome if I just asked her to choose.

• Options
    I agree to do Easter sales. That's what we were planning for DD (although she will not be a FG, just a guest). Actually, I bought her dress yesterday at a holiday dress sale for 40 percent off. It's very cute and can definitely be worn again but I am pretty confident in my ability to guess her size and it can be taken in a little if needed.
    Not only are the dresses less expensive, they aren't as hot or cumbersome as the traditional flower girl dress and can be worn again much more easily. This is the dress I got DD yesterday:

DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    CP: July 2011
    BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
    We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards