Wedding Party
Options

Looking for Unique WP Gifts? Please Read This

Maybe we could congregate all the BM gifts we all did/are doing into this thread so that the question isn't asked 5 times per day?  I know everyone gives the same answer to every post anyway, so might as well be efficient.  Sort of a one-stop shop for WP gifts.

Just my two cents: It's not unique if 1) someone else did it and 2) you need help from strangers picking them out.  But I get that it can help to see what others did and use that as a jumping off point to buy your own.

PLEASE NOTE: All beauty-related things for your wedding (shoes/hair/nails/makeup/jewelry) are not gifts.  They are for your wedding and therefore a gift for you, not them.  Plus, if you require pro hair/makeup/manis and specific shoes and jewelry, you as the bride need to pay for them anyway.  Why, you ask?  Because again, those are gifts for you, not for them.  

Above all else, remember that you know your WP in real life, we don't.  Ask yourself: If I was shopping for a gift for them that had nothing to do with my wedding, what would I buy?  Shop accordingly.  A bunch of strangers likely can't come up with a better idea for you than you can yourselves.  
Courtesy of megk8oz
"I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.

Re: Looking for Unique WP Gifts? Please Read This

• Options
    megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Brooke- I have to disagree about the jewelry thing, I think it depends on the BMs and the jewelry. My favorite gift (that was given to me), was a freshwater pearl necklace, by my cousin when I was in her wedding. It was to be worn for the wedding, but it is gorgeous and I literally wear it several times a week to work.

For our wedding-I am still working on this- but one thing is going to be a gift certificate to local salon for nails/massage. This is a nice gift because 4 out of 5 of my BMs have moved to the burbs within the last year, so it will give them a chance to try out someplace in their new 'hoods. And I will give it to them at the rehearsal dinner, so it's not like I am paying for a 'required' wedding-related beauty.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't have all my gifts figured out yet, but I did get my Flower Girl something already. If you have an older flower girl (7-9) and she likes arts and crafts, she would probably like this book:

"When I was a Flower Girl" (Title links to Amazon page)

Of course, I'm sure I'll get her a toy or something closer to the wedding, but she really likes the book. :)
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    megandjay- if you read brooke's posts, she pointed out that we don't know your bm, so if your bm like jewelry, then get them jewelry.  Personally, I think the gift you received stinks.  Freshwater pearls are cheap and I already have a set.  A friend of mine would not give me a gift like that while one of yours would.  The key is knowing your bm personality.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    I have nothing against buying BMs jewelry.  I bought my BMs jewelry because that's something they like.  But buying them the same snowflake necklace to wear to your wedding isn't a gift to them, it's a gift to you so that they all have jewelry you approve of during the wedding.  See the difference?
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    Gifts in bio....among them are "pickle of the month" club, a necklace with Edward Scissorhands' hand on it, drum sticks, and a Halo game....yeah....have fun with that.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    I do really need to get going on a married bio, huh...

My bridesmaids and bridesman each got a copy of the Easton Press edition (very nice leather-bound) of Grimm's Fairy Tales, purchased off eBay for $25-35 each.  The groomsmen got, respectively, a fedora, a stocked spice rack, a putting kit, and a pocker set.  The groomswoman got a vibrator.  All the girls (the bridsmaids, the groomswoman, and the moms) got these nifty Scrabble tile necklaces from a seller on Etsy who isn't around anymore.  Not to wear in the wedding, just because I thought they were neat.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Bridesmaids: Flasks with their initials filled with their favorite liquor (Scotch for J, Vanilla Vodka for A, etc etc) Mini bottles of champagne, little trinkets that fit their personality (little gum packs that say different things for different people-IE-"Don't have ugly children gum" luggage tags with funny sayings, etc.)  I have one sister who doesn't drink, so I got her this very cool jewelry that can be a necklace or bracelet or whatever and you can reshape it (Not to wear at the wedding, but just for her) instead of a filled flask.  All this goes in a black basket and I am filling it with their favorite candy (Chocolate covered gummy bears for sis, Reeses Peanut butter cups for B, etc).-Man of honor is getting pretty much the same except I threw in a B&N gift card since we started a book club together and I got him a pin some people would find offensive.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My older sister is getting a wine purse, and I'm not sure what else yet. SHe's into books and wine and all sorts of academic stuff. I might end up getting her all the expansion packs to Carcasonne that they don't have yet, or a new Trivial Pursuit.

My younger sister is getting a GPS and a geocaching guide so she can have a new hobby. She loves having adventures and exploring new places, so this would be something she will like. I got it on sale at RueLaLa. If I decide not to do this, and to keep the GPS (or give it to my dad), I will most likely buy her some new fencing gear, or pay for all of her books for the Spring semester. Both of these would be great gifts for her.

I will probably end up spending $100-150 on each, but that is within my budget. If it wasn't, then I wouldn't be doing it, and I'd find something else to give them that is just as special. I might spend a little more on the little sister and lump it together with her 21st birthday, which is 3 days after the wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2010
    BM got a Gwen Stefani tote bag and makeup cases, bookplate stickers (she's an MLS student and loves to read), a biography book and a Visa gift card. MOH got a Bruce Springsteen tote from Etsy.com, Coach makeup bag, cookbook, apron and a Visa gift card. Wedding-related things for both girls were pashminas, silly toy flowers for the rehearsal, and clutch purses.

MH got each of the two groomsmen a pair of eco-friendly Oakley sunglasses.

Readers and Communion Bearers each received a $25 gift card to a place they frequent (Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, Target).

Both fathers got a set of cufflinks, I got my mom a necklace, and we'll probably make them photo albums. My parents also contributed some money to the wedding (FIL is not in a position to do so) and were especially supportive and helpful, so we also got them tickets to an upcoming James Taylor concert.
  • Options
    The best man got a gift card to Lowe's. He and his wife are in the process of renovating their house and spend most of their time and money there, so we decided to help them out with a gift card.

My MOH got these little toy horses and a horse collectible figurine we used to play with as kids. Hers got lost or broken during one of her moves and she was heartbroken. It was kind of a trip back to childhood. She had them out of the package and lined up on the table within minutes. It was fun, really, to go back to being kids again and naming our 'pet' horses.
  • Options
    DH got the guys iPod Shuffles.

BMs - each got a tote bag filled with various items that reflected each girls' interests. In addition, I gave them each gift cards to their favorite stores - I asked each of them what their 2 favorite places to shop were and got them 2 card each that all totalled the same amount. I presented the gift cards to them inside photo frames.They also each got silver flip flops in their bags. Each girl got a different bracelet (not that I expected them all to wear it on the wedding day - I didn't dictate jewelry). Side note - Interestingly enough, they all decided to buy matching necklace and earring sets to wear for my wedding even though I didn't care what they wore for jewelry / shoes / how they did their hair. Funny!

Parents - each set will be getting an album from the wedding photos once we get the pro photos back.

FG - a bag of stuff appropriate for her - a cute pencil case and some heart stickers, fun markers, a bracelet. A thank you card that is more for her parents to save than she would care about since she's only 7.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    My 3 OOT BMs each got a gift card to her favorite store (Aldo, REI and Borders) because those were easiest to get to Chile for me to give to them and then for them to pack back to the US. My local BM got a print she'd been drooling over on Etsy forever.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_looking-unique-bm-gifts-please-read-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:3077ce3d-0bd5-49a2-b3e8-b724c0a7c900Post:3702cb85-85bd-4798-ab89-d0122dd76d2f">Re: Looking for Unique BM Gifts? Please Read This</a>:
    [QUOTE]megandjay- if you read brooke's posts, she pointed out that we don't know your bm, so if your bm like jewelry, then get them jewelry.  <strong>Personally, I think the gift you received stinks</strong>. <strong> Freshwater pearls are cheap</strong> and I already have a set.  A friend of mine would not give me a gift like that while one of yours would.  The key is knowing your bm personality.
    Posted by blackfire5th[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for the insult. If you read my post it says <em>"I think it depends on the BMs and the jewelry"- </em>which is the same thing you are saying, but without the insult<em>. </em>I was disagreeing with Brooke's statement that jewelry for the wedding cannot also be a gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards