Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaids doing their own hair?

I had every intention of paying for my bridesmaids to get their hair done for my wedding. However, I am getting married the weekend of the 4th of July, so finding a place that was open was impossible. We were lucky and were able to find ONE lady who is willing to do it.

Problem is that there are 6 or us(including my flower gilrs). We need to have our hair done no later than 2:30. She said in order to do this, the first girl would need to have her hair done at 7:30 in the morning! My wedding is at 4. So to me that just doesn't sound practical.

Do you think that it would be horrible of me to ask them to do each other's hair? Since this was going to be part of my gift to them, what do you think I could do to make it up to them?

Re: Bridesmaids doing their own hair?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-doing-their-own-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:3df73285-7179-43ab-9c0e-8ac71f50aad8Post:610fc60a-6861-4988-b656-8068b21b528b">Bridesmaids doing their own hair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had every intention of paying for my bridesmaids to get their hair done for my wedding. However, I am getting married the weekend of the 4th of July, so finding a place that was open was impossible. We were lucky and were able to find ONE lady who is willing to do it. Problem is that there are 6 or us(including my flower gilrs). We need to have our hair done no later than 2:30. She said in order to do this, the first girl would need to have her hair done at 7:30 in the morning! My wedding is at 4. So to me that just doesn't sound practical. Do you think that it would be horrible of me to ask them to do each other's hair? Since this was going to be part of my gift to them, what do you think I could do to make it up to them?
    Posted by kevans0604[/QUOTE]

#1 - having their hair done for YOUR wedding is not a gift to THEM.  That's something that you are requiring, so you need to pay for it.  If you're not requiring them to have a particular style or go with a particular person, you don't need to pay.   I wouldn't ask them to do each other's hair - they can either do their own, do each others, or find somewhere to get it done.

#2 - as for gifts, shop for them as if you were shopping for their birthdays.  An personalized gift shows that you put thought into it, and will be appreciated a lot more than a tote bag or standardized jewelry.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They can do their own hair.  Things that are for your wedding are also not gifts, they are wedding expenses.  Just buy them each a personal gift.
  • Options
    Let them do their own hair.  Two of my BM did their own hair, the others got it professionally done.  You can't tell which are which in the photos.  So yes, it would be too much to ask them to do each other's hair.  

I was in a wedding once where one BM did all of our hair, but she was a pro hairdresser and offered to do it.  If I were put in charge of someone else's hair...god help her.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    They can do their own hair or if they want, they can do each other's hair. Maybe they even have their place? I know I personally only allow one specific person do my hair, so I wouldnt' think of someone paying for my hair to get done as a gift.
  • Options
    I contemplated paying for the bridesmaids to have their hair done however as we are getting married at 1pm, the timings etc just arent working. It also works out too expensive. I am having my sister as my MOH so am paying for her to have her hair done with me (we have a stylist coming to the house) however the rest are going to do their own hair.

I have bought each of them a decorative hair comb/ grip to use, how they use it is up to them though!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker image
  • Options
    LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I've always done my own hair as a bridesmaid.  They'll be fine.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    I told my BMs where I was getting my hair done, but they elected to go to separate salons. I asked them to be at my parents' house at 10 a.m. for makeup (makeup was also optional but they opted to use the girl I'd hired for myself).

I would just tell them, "The stylist doing my hair will charge $x for bridesmaids if you want to use her. The timing will depend on how many of us choose to use her, so you could potentially be getting your hair done as early as 7:30 a.m. if you choose to use her. Otherwise, feel free to go to your own stylist or style your own hair, but please be back at my house by [time] with your hair ready to go."

If you already promised to pay for their hair, then I'd just talk to them about it individually and see if they were counting on that (just because they may not have factored that into their budget). If you didn't say anything to them about treating them, then it's your call as to whether or not you want to reimburse them for their expenses.

I don't think it's a bad thing to make that part of their gift (as long as you're not mandating pro hair), because it's one less thing they need to pay for. As long as you're including personal, thoughtful gifts for them that don't have anything to do with your wedding. If the hair payment was the whole gift then I wouldn't like that.
  • Options
    My BMs all did their own hair - they all just straightened it and wore it down because that's what they felt prettiest doing, and they looked perfectly nice and put together.

Also, it's great that this fell through! Now you can spend the money you had earmarked for this on something that's actually a gift for your friends instead of a gift for yourself! Hint: if you think about your wedding, it's not a present for your friends based solely on their interests. Shop for THEM, not for yourself.
  • Options
    Did you want everyone's hair to look the same? Is that why you were doing it pro? If so, just choose a simple hairstyle they could do themselves. If they need help doing their hair, they can ask someone else in the bridal party to help them. My cousin is getting married this weekend, and what she did was she bought us all matching headbands to wear. We can style our hair however we want, as long as we wear the headband, which is great because two of us (including me) have super short hair.

The headbands are PART of the gift she's getting us, but she also went to a friend who makes Dichroic glass pendants and had one handmade for each bridesmaid, which we will also be wearing. I thought that was a really sweet way to incorporate jewlry that was uniform, but still personal for each one of us, as they will all be different.

But yeah, just paying to get their hair done wouldn't be the greatest gift ever.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses!

I didn't honestly care about my BM's having the same hair style, I just thought paying for them to have it done would be a nice gesture on my part. Turns out they are all saying they want to wear it down so it will work out fine to have them do their own/each other's hair.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards