Wedding Party
Options

Help! Writing MOH Toast

My best friend's wedding is this weekend and I need to write my speech.

I don't want to write something and read it, but I do want to have a few things written down so that I don't get up there and look like an idiot!

Any tips/advice/suggestions?

Anything you have would be great! I'm a first-timer! :)

Re: Help! Writing MOH Toast

• Options
    how about how you met the bride and some funny things, but sentimental things to say.  Also bring the groom into it too. 
    Vacation Anniversary
  • Options
    Toasts should be short and sweet

You can say how you know the couple (maybe share a funny story, or how she knew he was the one).  How happy you are for them. Etc.

Another big piece is ending the toast.  You need to let people know you are done.  It sounds like common sense, but I've seen many toasts that didn't obviously end.  Say something like "Let's raise our glasses to toast the new Mr & Mrs Jones!"  or "I'd like to raise a toast to the happy marriage of Mary and John."
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I agree with Wisc-- keep it short and simple. Talk about how your friendship with the bride is important to you, how you've loved watching her fall in love with her new husband, and how proud you are of her, etc.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    bstentbstent member
    First Comment
    Most important thing is to be true to you, so it doesn't sound forced. If you're funny, be funny, if you're sentimental, be sentimental. Your best friend picked you because of who you are and your relationship with each other, so honour that in your speech. I agree with PP, keep it short and sweet, bring the groom in somehow (even if you don't know him that well you can just bring him in by recognizing how happy he makes your best friend). I'll be a maid of honour this summer and my speech will start with me introducing myself and how I know the bride (I don't know all of her guests) and then thank her for including me in such a huge day in her life. And I agree about embarrassing stories... tread carefully or avoid altogether. Good luck!

• Options
    Search online for MOH speeches. I know they have some where you can just fill in blanks. But if ur not willing to go that route. Just look at them to get ideas!!!!
    image 500 Invited! image 300 Ready to party! image 28 Party Poopers! image 172 MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_writing-moh-toast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:434f470f-5548-4bd6-94e7-de2249c17d0ePost:8d7debc8-fdce-487d-afe3-03510b3f83f7">Re: Help! Writing MOH Toast</a>:
    [QUOTE]Search online for MOH speeches. I know they have some where you can just fill in blanks. But if ur not willing to go that route. Just look at them to get ideas!!!!
    Posted by DeeDee00[/QUOTE]

Don't use these!  When you're giving the speech it will sound like you found it on the internet, it needs to sound like it came from you, not like you had a speechwriter.  Plus, you'll either have to memorize it, or read it, neither of which will sound natural.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards