Wedding Party

Bridesmaids gifts- jewelry

Okay, so from what I gather from the boards it's a total faux pas to give jewelry to be worn with the bridesmaid gown....but,

For gifts I was thinking a set of pearls (earrings and either a strand or pendant necklace) that they wouldn't be required to wear to my wedding.  My line of thought is that pearls are very classic and something every woman will eventually need/wear.

Thoughts?

"remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. live it, feel it, cling to it. i want to become acutely aware of all i've taken for granted." -sylvia plath

Re: Bridesmaids gifts- jewelry

• My thoughts are that if your bridesmaids would like it go for it.  Remember that the people's opions who matter are your bridesmaids the ones getting the gift.  I would love to get a some pearl jewlery.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • I agree, it depends on your girls.  

It would go over well with a few of my girls but not all. 
    They don't all need to get the same gift BTW.
  • I agree with pps. Pick gifts that you know that they will like. If they're the types that would appreciate pearls, then do it by all means. 
    Photobucket
  • I'd love them but make sure they're of the taste of your friends. As long as you don't require they wear the items, it's lovely.
  • I think they will like them. I am getting my sister/MOH a string of pearls as a special gift. She will probably wear it for the wedding but she has been talking about wanting a string of pearls for the last year so it is definitely personal. Just make sure the gift is something your girls will like, appreciate, and use.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I'm a pearl person so I already have 2 sets of pearl necklaces and a set of pearl earrings.  Just make sure that it's something they would really wear and they don't already have their own.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am not a pearl fan but I am getting my BMs jewerly to wear during the ceremony but they can also wear it afterwards for other events.  I have found a nice set from Things Remember to wear I can personalize it with a different message to each of them!
  • Honestly, I've been a bridesmaid three times and I got a necklace each time. My sister got me a gorgeous pearl necklace that I wore when trying on my own wedding gowns and would seriously consider wearing to my wedding. One friend got her bridesmaids a pretty strand of pearls on a very light string so they look like they float - I've worn that one dozens of times. And my other best friend got us sterling silver. I don't wear that necklace all that often, because it's high up on my neck and doesn't look right with many of my necklines, but I like it just fine.

I don't really think giving bridesmaids jewelry is a "faux pas". Maybe it's done so often that people are tired of it, or it's seen as another attempt to control what the bridesmaids look like rather than as something nice done for them. But as much as I'd be happy with any gift that I'm given for my wedding, I'd hope that my best friends and family members in my WP would be happy with any thoughtful gift that I chose to give them, and that might include jewelry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't really answer your poll b/c like others have said, it depends on if your girls actually LIKE pearls and would wear them. They may be "classic" to you, but I am not a pearl person and NEVER wear them. So this gift would get stuck in a drawer somewhere or given to someone else if it were me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    When I was a bridesmaid in my bff's mom's wedding, she gave us both a nice set of pearl earrings and a pearl necklace. Pearls are nice, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Plus I don't see them as being as wearable.

If I were to receive jewelry as a gift, I would like it to be something I could wear again.

Etsy has some cute jewelry; and even dept. stores have fashion jewelry that could be worn again that aren't CZ. I think something with color would be nice.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends.  Are your girls the kind who like pearls?  Some women do, some women would never wear them.  If they will all love them, then sure go for it.  If one will and one won't, get them for hte one who will love them and get something else for the one who won't.  Just think about what they will like and get them that.

also remember, BMs gifts do NOT have to be the same.  i think this is where a lot of trouble stems from.  It is hard to get the same gift for several people and have them all like it.  Just get them individaul gifts and you are far more likely to make each girl happy.  Not to mention, they will feel a lot more special than getting the exact same gift as everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards