Wedding Party
Options

I don't understand why brides freak out about...

...aaaaand GO!

I'll start:  I don't know why brides freak out about ugly chairs.  No one cares.
This is a neglected planning bio.
This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284

Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...

• Options
    Needing to have all the BMs look like clones.  My girls had all different hair and dress styles, and they looked fantastic!  Also, having everything (table runners, dresses, flowers, invites, etc) be the *exact* same shade of color.  No one cares if your BM dresses match your bouquet.
  • Options
    anything.  There is no need really.  It's a wedding, you are not saving the world, feeding the hungry or negotiating world peace.  It's a party, take a deep breath, calm down, and put things in perspective! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dont-understand-brides-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:485caaf7-257d-4bf2-8035-e7682174940bPost:514f1cf8-5481-430a-93a6-c75631ba735c">Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whether the bridesmaid dresses will coordinate with the wall and/or carpet color of their ceremony or reception venue.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

ding ding ding ding ding trix!

my brother's wedding his wife was CRAZY....let's just say most people do not need samples (ie wall paper, etc) to plan a wedding so EVERYTHING matches the reception....REALLY?!?!?!?

oh yeah I wore a black dress....gasp did you KNOW the venue was chocolate and pink??  it clashes...hmmm lights were dimmed and guess what BIG DEAL!
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options

I agree with everyone here. I wanted to add the dreaded..."My BM can't be at rehearsal. I'm gonna kick her out"

People know how to walk in a straight line and stand in one place after the age of 5. Same with ushers and guest book attendants. You don't need someone to tell you where to sit or to sign your name on a page. People are smart and know what they need to do. A monkey could do this.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Absolutely agreed with all the points made above.  Having gotten married in May and now having the wedding in my rearview, I have a different perspective than when I was in the thick of it.

The week leading up to our wedding my MIL fell and broke her kneecap in 3 places. The night before the wedding our nephew fell out of a tree in our backyard and broke his arm. My SIL and her son were in the hospital the morning of the wedding having the pins put in it and cast put on. They came straight from the hosopital to the wedding. A few guests called me literally the day before the wedding (including an aunt) to cancel on us and tell us they weren't coming.

You know what? The show went on - and our wedding was a really happy, fun event and I loved all of it. I have never seen my husband happier in his whole life than on our wedding day (and he's a pretty happy guy to start with). Our families and friends were there having fun and celebrating with us. Everything else melted away by then b/c we'd done it!  We'd made it all happen.

So these brides with the complaints about things they THINK are important - even sides being my #1 pet peeve on this board - don't yet realize that they truly aren't what's important about your wedding day. Let it go. Look at the man you're about to marry and the people who are your friends and family that will be there to celebrate with you. THAT is what's important.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options

Whether their ivory dress will match the tablecloths, drapery, carpet, brick wall (yes, this was real)... Just all nonsense.

Or the ivory vs. white in general.  Who cares.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dont-understand-brides-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:485caaf7-257d-4bf2-8035-e7682174940bPost:8ce508f3-bb3a-4077-b7ff-8d996213a020">Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Babies.  I can understand choosing not to invite children to a wedding.  But I don't get why so many brides come on here and say, "Omg, crying babies are going to ruin my wedding!! Where do I tell my guests on the invite not to bring their evil, screaming spawn to the wedding?"
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, this one too...</div><div>
    </div><div>When my dad asked me to send my uncle our address so get our invite to my cousin's wedding, he said "It's a small wedding at a country club, so it's probably a good idea if you get a sitter"...which I'm fine with...my uncle probably told him that there were going to be no kids (I assume there may be a FG and RB but I don't know) and my dad was polite and diplomatic about it. I probably would have found a sitter anyway...FI and I rarely get to go out in public together without the kids...</div><div>
    </div><div>As for my and FI's wedding, the more the merrier...I'm all for having a buttload of kids! But we're also having a very informal, outdoor wedding at a park so that's appropriate :)</div>
  • Options
    what the MOB/MOG will wear.  They don't have to match the WP!

the FOG being the BM.  If your guy's dad is also his best friend, why is this considered so odd? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dont-understand-brides-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:485caaf7-257d-4bf2-8035-e7682174940bPost:a32a6c2c-005c-4dd1-a1d1-aa2cdd9dc36b">Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whether their ivory dress will match the tablecloths, drapery, carpet, brick wall (yes, this was real)... Just all nonsense. Or the ivory vs. white in general.  Who cares.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]
    Oh man, I'm so sick of ivory vs. white.  I even wore an ivory gown... with the groomsmen in white tuxes!  Quelle shock!
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dont-understand-brides-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:485caaf7-257d-4bf2-8035-e7682174940bPost:396e2fc2-8ce7-4817-bd0d-a35409f86dd2">Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]BM shoes, jewelry, hair, makeup, tats, unusually shaped moles, etc. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I always freak out about unusually shaped moles, they are dangerous.  Really if you BM has one and hasn't gone to a Dr. about it she should, it could be bad. 

I know that wasn't the point, just something that should be said. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dont-understand-brides-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:485caaf7-257d-4bf2-8035-e7682174940bPost:421a94b9-1419-4e9b-9388-f7b77a56a846">Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uneven wedding parties. "I'm so OCD!  THEY MUST BE EVEN!" I bet you one million dollars you aren't OCD.  Two million, even.  You're just ridiculous.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

This. It bugs me in ANY situation when people say "I'm so OCD!" No, you aren't.
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    about having all their BM's look EXACTLY the same

about tiny little microscopic dots they may find on their dress

about being totally stressed and overwhelmed...wedding planning is really not that difficult

about everyone not paying them enough attention..i'm the bride look at me look at me..get over yourself
  • Options
    Planning weddings that they can't handle themselves. If you can't handle all the DIY projects then don't do them or hire a planner... don't just assume that your wedding party is able to help you
    Anniversary
  • Options
    filawfilaw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    ....pretty much nothing.

There's so much outside expectations, pressure and money involved that I can totally understand why a bride would work herself into a tizzy over pretty much *anything*.

That being said, here are some things I'd like to tell that freaking out bride, are really going to be okay, and she can let go of the emotional stress she's feeling about them.

Sides being even
    Opposit gender wedding parties
    Their friends/families not being intersted in every little detail and fearing that it means they don't care about her or her marriage.  I'd like to tell them its okay and it doesn't.
    Pretty much anything versus truly devestating someone's feelings.  It's never worth it.  Take a step back, breath and let yourself have the space to get back your perspective.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dont-understand-brides-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:485caaf7-257d-4bf2-8035-e7682174940bPost:2ea000aa-b079-4b43-b264-425665f19ac9">Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]The invitations. I think most people write down the date, toss them or keep them with other mail, all that money spent for most guests to not care if they were beautiful invites or not    
    Posted by loop0406[/QUOTE]

TOTALLY!

I'm doing a flat cardstock. 1 "page", an info card, & RSVP card. That's it!

Those pocket things can get crazy!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dont-understand-brides-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:485caaf7-257d-4bf2-8035-e7682174940bPost:e27df3d0-5fa7-4754-8fea-2d307e7a26ff">Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand why brides freak out about... : I always freak out about unusually shaped moles, they are dangerous.  Really if you BM has one and hasn't gone to a Dr. about it she should, it could be bad.  I know that wasn't the point, just something that should be said. 
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

Great advice. We all should remember to be checked!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards