Wedding Party

Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?

I didn't find a thread that was close enough to our dilemma to be very helpful to me, so here it goes: My fiance and I waited til 6 months into our year & a half long engagement to select our wedding party, but now, 6 months later & about 4 months away from our wedding date, my fiance is regretting one of his groomsman choices. I realize now that we should have waited longer to pick the WP. The circumstances of their friendship have changed in the past few months to the point where we both don't feel comfortable with this guy being a part of the wedding anymore. Part of it is because he's a negative person who hates going out anywhere especially where alcohol is involved.. he hates it when his fiancee even has 1 drink.. basically he's just an all-around negative person to be around and it shows. We don't want to risk his negativity affecting our wedding. My fiance understands that by uninviting him, he is risking losing the friendship if this person takes it really badly.

Also adding to the awkwardness is the fact that the guy's fiancee, brother, and brother's wife are all in the wedding party too. Not sure how offended they will be by the removal of that GM. I know my fiance should have waited a few more months before picking groomsmen since relationships can change in a year, but of course he didn't anticipate this happening otherwise he would not have picked this person.

Has anyone here had to take someone out of the WP? How did you approach it? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_advice-uninvite-groomsman?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:513bab8d-847d-405b-b199-4f2f052d3784Post:c9e055c7-f36f-4e0a-9740-22507bc12961">Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't find a thread that was close enough to our dilemma to be very helpful to me, so here it goes: My fiance and I waited til 6 months into our year & a half long engagement to select our wedding party, but now, 6 months later & about 4 months away from our wedding date, my fiance is regretting one of his groomsman choices. I realize now that we should have waited longer to pick the WP. The circumstances of their friendship have changed in the past few months to the point where we both don't feel comfortable with this guy being a part of the wedding anymore. Part of it is because he's a negative person who hates going out anywhere especially where alcohol is involved.. he hates it when his fiancee even has 1 drink.. basically he's just an all-around negative person to be around and it shows. We don't want to risk his negativity affecting our wedding. My fiance understands that by uninviting him, he is risking losing the friendship if this person takes it really badly. Also adding to the awkwardness is the fact that the guy's fiancee, brother, and brother's wife are all in the wedding party too. Not sure how offended they will be by the removal of that GM. I know my fiance should have waited a few more months before picking groomsmen since relationships can change in a year, but of course he didn't anticipate this happening otherwise he would not have picked this person. Has anyone here had to take someone out of the WP? How did you approach it? Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Posted by Alohomora[/QUOTE]

<div><span style="color:#000000;font-family:'Times New Roman';font-size:16px;line-height:normal;" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:100%;background-color:initial;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;vertical-align:baseline;background-image:none;background-repeat:initial;background-attachment:initial;-webkit-background-clip:initial;-webkit-background-origin:initial;line-height:1;text-align:left;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">You're kidding, right?  Booting him out of the wedding party because he reacts negatively toward his fiancee when she drinks alcohol?  And how is that even your business?</div></span></div>
  • zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2009
    Part of it is because he's a negative person who hates going out anywhere especially where alcohol is involved.. he hates it when his fiancee even has 1 drink.. basically he's just an all-around negative person to be around and it shows.

That's weird that he never had issues with alcohol and the people who consume it until recently. 
  • LarissaAnn: I didn't say that his anti-alcohol issue was the ONLY reason we want him out. That was just to show an example of one reason why we think he'd be unpleasant to have as part of our wedding, where alcohol will be involved. But the issues run deeper than that and I'm not about to go into ALL the details. The point is, I'm just looking for advice on how my fiance can break the news to the guy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_advice-uninvite-groomsman?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:513bab8d-847d-405b-b199-4f2f052d3784Post:c9e055c7-f36f-4e0a-9740-22507bc12961">Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't find a thread that was close enough to our dilemma to be very helpful to me, Posted by Alohomora[/QUOTE]

Really?

You and your FI can do what you want...and it will probably cut down on wedding party gift prices since most of the rest of your wedding party will probably step down after you kick out their FI/brother/BIL...
    imageimage
    BFP 5/2/11, missed m/c, D&C 6/13/11
    BFP 12/8/11--Little Girl E Born 8/22/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think the issue is that there's no great way to say, "i just realized that you're not a fun person so I'm going to have to ask you to not attend the wedding or to just attend as a guest. "  It's really a verbal slap in the face.

What you can say is, "Hey, stop being such a Debby Downer!  Or, come on dude, lighten up!  We're having a good time!"

I'd ignore the bad remarks and just go with the flow.

FWIW, it's hard to see how bad he's acting if you'll only mention how he acts around booze.  You may not want to go into all the details but for right now, this looks like it's something that will only serve to create drama and make your FI look bad if he goes through with it.
  • Ditto banana.

Unless he tries to sleep with the bride, there's not many good reasons to cut a GM.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• The decision that your FI will have to make is whether or not he still wants to be friends with his GM after the wedding.  IF he does, keep quiet; if he doesn't, then go ahead and kick him out.

We can only give advice on what we are told, but the fact that one reason FI is considering kicking him out because he's "not a partier" and that it will "bring you down" is a pretty crappy reason.  It's none of your business why he objects to his FI drinnking.  He's not pushing his beliefs on you, or complaining about there being alcohol at the wedding, so you both need to grow up.

If you allow the possible actions of one person to "ruin" your "special" day, then the two of you are getting married for the wrong reasons.

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Has he always had that attitude, and you just didn't really notice or is this attitude a relatively new development?  If it is, I'd be more concerned about what's going on in his life to really change his personality.  Just a first impression, but could his FI be pregnant, and that's why he gets on her about having just one drink?  I could be completely off base though.

I'd have your FI talk to him and try to figure out what's going on that makes him so negative.  I wouldn't kick him out because his brother and SIL will probably go with him, or you'll hurt your relationship with them too pretty bad.
  • If you still want to be friends with this guy, his FI, his brother and his brother's wife ... it seems like you're stuck, because booting him will almost certainly cause hard feelings amongst that whole group. Not only might they all drop out of the wedding, but they might not be friends with you anymore.  Ignore him if he starts being a downer or try Banana's approach of jokingly telling him to loosen up.

If you're prepared to lose all of them as friends, then boot him and see what happens. Also be prepared for other people to think badly of you and your FI because of it, because many people feel that kicking out a groomsman/bridesmaid is a Bridezilla/Groomzilla move. And they will have your story, plus this guy's story to decide between ... and there are always three stories in this kind of situation: Party A's side, Party B's side, and The Truth.
  • Booting somebody is perfectly fine as long as you and your FI are 100% fine with never speaking to this person ever again.

You also must realize, it doesn't matter what your reasons are, unless you're issue is he tried to make out with you or you uncovered his plot to give everybody at the wedding food poisoning or something, you must also be okay with the fact that there is an excellent chance any mutual friends are going to "take sides" ... and not take yours. So the other relationships will also be severely altered (Or possibly just ended completely) as well. Pretty much whenever these things happen, the bride and groom do get blamed.

Unless he's doing something that will actually ruin your wedding (And I'm sorry, getting a little pissy about his girlfriend drinking is NOT going to effect how much fun your other friends and family have), then you really don't have a leg to stand on when the mutual friends get upset about it.

If this guy being a party pooper is worth not speaking to him or the mutual friends ever again, then yes, get rid of him.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • You've gotten good advice from the other ladies here.  You can't gracefully or easily boot out someone you asked without you and your FI looking like huge 'zillas.

Something to remember here:  you can't control other people's actions.  You can only control how you respond to those actions.

You can kick the guy out because you don't like his attitude, and suffer lots of repercussions.

OR, you can say "That's the way he is, but one person can't ruin our wedding day", and then you both choose to allow him to take control of your feelings and emotions.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_advice-uninvite-groomsman?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:513bab8d-847d-405b-b199-4f2f052d3784Post:edae77f1-a8aa-4738-8b4b-999df74df24a">Re: Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?</a>:
    [QUOTE]LarissaAnn: I didn't say that his anti-alcohol issue was the ONLY reason we want him out. That was just to show an example of one reason why we think he'd be unpleasant to have as part of our wedding, where alcohol will be involved. But the issues run deeper than that and I'm not about to go into ALL the details. The point is, I'm just looking for advice on how my fiance can break the news to the guy.
    Posted by Alohomora[/QUOTE]

<div>I've got to ditto banana too.  The anti-alcohol thing may not be the only issue, but I have to say, it's pretty natural when someone's giving reasons for something and don't want to go into heavy details for them to give the biggest and most outstanding reason as an illustration.  If the most compelling reason for booting him is your FI's friend's anti-alcohol stance, it's one heck of a crappy reason, and I can only imagine how minute the others are.</div>
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2009
    First of all, this needs to be your FI's decision and his alone because he is one that will lose a friend if he asks this man to step down.  So you need to stay 100% out of his decision.  You also need to be prepared to have other members of your WP (the ones related to him/close to him specifically) to step down from the wedding and cease friendships/relationships with both you as well.  The reasons you've stated (mainly you don't think he's fun) aren't good reasons to ask him to leave and, IMO, aren't good reasons to end the friendship either.  Maybe you have other reasons but if they are all as inconsequential as he doesn't particularly care to be around alcohol, you don't have to good reason to exclude him.

Your FI needs to think long and hard about if it is really worth it to potentially destroy multiple friendships for such silly reasons.
  • Kicking someone out will end the friendship, so you have to consider that. 

It also makes you look like the jerk to all your mutual friends.  Since he's connected with all these other people in the wedding, you will create a ton of drama and look like jerks to all those people.  If you're ok with that, go ahead.

My advice would be to just grin and bear it.  Use Banana's lighten up approach, and just ignore him if he's being stupid. 
  • No.  Just no.

Unless said groomsman was on the evening news for burning down an orphanage, it doesn't matter how legitimate you may feel your reasons are: he, his family, and everyone else will see you as a powertripping bridezilla.  Tie NEVER goes to the bride in cases like this.  You stand to lose a lot more friends than just those in your WP if you guys go through with this.

And being a buzzkill is a really, really bad reason to want to boot someone.  Yes, I know you've probably reached the point where you don't want to invite him to other parties, but a wedding is a slightly bigger deal.  If you don't want him harshing your mellow at the reception, just *gasp* don't hang out with him.  I'm sure there will be plenty of fun people you can spend your night with.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • The other thing is, you do realize like after the first maybe 1/2 hour of the reception, you don't actually have to have anything to do with the BP for the rest of the night, right?

Like after the ceremony, the pictures and the reception entrance, the Bride and Groom have their own agenda after, the BP isn't your entourage that's attached to you for the duration of the reception. You are both going to be pulled in 5 million directions by every single guest for the rest of the night ... there's an excellent chance that you and your groom won't even get more than a few minutes together here and there. So unless this guy is going to literally stand on a soapbox in the middle of it all preaching his anti-fun propaganda, you're not even going to KNOW what he's up to for the rest of the night.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_advice-uninvite-groomsman?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:513bab8d-847d-405b-b199-4f2f052d3784Post:c9e055c7-f36f-4e0a-9740-22507bc12961">Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We don't want to risk his negativity affecting our wedding. [/QUOTE]

It won't affect your wedding.  Well, I guess if you are a drama queen and are looking for problems and drama, it would affect your wedding.  However, if you are like most brides, you will be so caught up in the whirlwind and emotion of the day and so caught up in your new DH that you will not notice him.  Your wedding will be a very joyful day and one person being a downer won't hurt anything (except maybe his FI, but that is really her problem and there are deeper issues there). 

If you want to get caught up in his drama, go for it and let it damper the day.  If you want to enjoy your wedding and just be in love with your DH and celebrate with the family and friends that want to celebrate, you will have a great day.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • I wont go into detail since everyone above has given plenty of advice on the matter.

Answer is= DONT DO IT.

Even if you literally hate the guy, you obvisously dont have any qualms between the other members in his family that you have involved in your wedding...choices have consequences you choose to ask your WP too early so you are gonna have to grin and bear it

honestly other than a few pictures and during eating at your reception you can totally avoid him
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Can't you just ignore him?
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • If I were you and your FI, I would sit down with this GM and tell him "there is going to be alcohol, dancing, and fun at this wedding. Your fiance may drink a bit. We may drink a bit. You are going to have to be ok with that. If you do not think that you can dance the night away and be ok if your fiance and friends have a few drinks, it is not too late to step down. We will understand." If you make it be HIS (the gm's) idea more than yours/your grooms he will be able to do it without losing a friend. If he promises to not be a negative nancy and be alright with the drinking, just let him stand there. You may not like the people who stood up at your wedding years down the road, but at least they were there for you then and you didn't destroy a friendship over your wedding.

My mom gave me great advice at the beginning of my engagement, "Don't let your wedding ruin your relationships with others. Your wedding lasts one day, your friendships can last a lifetime. A lifetime of building the friendship, a lifetime of holding the friendship.
  • Ouch, lots of bitter girls out there who dont know the whole story. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_advice-uninvite-groomsman?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:513bab8d-847d-405b-b199-4f2f052d3784Post:4a7136c8-140d-4960-894c-4e2e4ead9984">Re: Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ouch, lots of bitter girls out there who dont know the whole story. 
    Posted by McCradyToBe[/QUOTE]

Can you be specific?  That's not a very nice thing to say to the ladies trying to give some sound advice.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_advice-uninvite-groomsman?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:513bab8d-847d-405b-b199-4f2f052d3784Post:4a7136c8-140d-4960-894c-4e2e4ead9984">Re: Advice on how to uninvite groomsman?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ouch, lots of bitter girls out there who dont know the whole story. 
    Posted by McCradyToBe[/QUOTE]

<div>That's right, we don't know the whole story.  Since the OP didn't include the whole story by her own admission, that would be impossible.  So people respond based on what OP wrote.  And based on what she wrote, this would be a bad idea.</div><div>
    </div><div>See, none of us have the mind-reading powers you seem to possess.  If you could share the information that is making everyone so "bitter" that would be great.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Now to get back to being bitter and making my DH's life miserable...</div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Brooke, somebody needs a Team Meg t-shirt.

• Her mutual friends probably won't know the whole story either, and they'll come to the same conclusions that we did.  As I said, there's no way for the bride to come out of something like this looking good.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards