Wedding Party
Options

Cute or tacky?

Our reception is outdoors and won't be super fancy. I was thinking of making these custom flip flops from artcows.com for everyone to put in the wedding party gift bags from these images. (Obviously mine would say "Bride", FI's would say "Groom", and so on for Maid of Honor, Best Man & ushers. And each would have the person's own initials).

Do you think this would be a cute idea or kind of tacky?

Re: Cute or tacky?

• Options
    It's not tacky, per se, but I think it would go unappreciated.  Put yourself in their shoes (no pun intended); would you want anything after the wedding that says "Groomsman" or "Bridesmaid"?  I'm 99% sure the groomsmen won't want them and about 60% sure the bridesmaids won't, either. 
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I don't think they're tacky, unless they are the only gift you're giving your wedding party members. Their gifts shouldn't be centered around your wedding or their role in it (stuff monogrammed with your name/wedding date, their title - bridesmaid/groomsman, etc.).

If you just mean it to be a fun little gift, in addition to some personal gifts that you're getting for them, go right ahead.

If you want an honest opinion, I think they're a waste. I don't know many people who wear stuff with their initials on them, and especially stuff that says Bridesmaid/Groomsman after the wedding is over. And I don't know many men (and some women) who'd be thrilled about wearing this during the wedding to begin with. Unless it's on the bottom of the sandal and nobody will see it. 

It  also depends on their quality. Cheapo flip-flops can really do a number on my feet, and I toss them in the trash or a Goodwill bag if I just can't break them in (even the Old Navy ones). Even the good ones take me a few days to get used to ... I usually get blisters from brand-new flip-flops, no matter how good-quality they are, so if I was wearing this for the first time at your wedding then I would probably get blisters since I couldn't break them in beforehand.

So, it's really your call. I don't think it's an awful idea or a tacky thing to do, but I personally wouldn't do it. I'd save your money for a more personal, individual gift for each of them, especially if they're more than ~$5 each.
  • Options
    I would never wear these.  Think about it.... why would you wear something to a non wedding event that talks about how you're a groomsmen at someone else's wedding?  Also, monogrammed stuff is overrated.  I would never want anything with my monogram on it either. That said, it's not a tacky gift and if you gave it to me, I'd ooh and ahhh and think you were a thoughtful person.  But, I wouldn't ever wear it. 
  • Options
    I think you are overthinking. This will be covered up by people's feet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Not tacky-just silly and not worth the $$ you'll spend.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_cute-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:59388e52-7ddf-49cf-9a84-e88e485ecb0cPost:e835f250-c458-4672-862c-0194e4180d0b">Re: Cute or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not tacky, per se, but I think it would go unappreciated.  Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

This!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Waste of money.  If you want to get them flip-flops, get them flip-flops they can wear outside the wedding.  I would never wear sandals that said "bridesmaid" at any point after the wedding.  

And the whole thing about engraving initials on WP gifts...didn't the luster of having *your* name on something wear off around the time you were 12?  It did for me, and I was always excited because my name is RARELY on souvenir keychains, etc., so I bet the excitement lasted longer for me than it did for most people.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_cute-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:59388e52-7ddf-49cf-9a84-e88e485ecb0cPost:e835f250-c458-4672-862c-0194e4180d0b">Re: Cute or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not tacky, per se, but I think it would go unappreciated.  Put yourself in their shoes (no pun intended); would you want anything after the wedding that says "Groomsman" or "Bridesmaid"?  I'm 99% sure the groomsmen won't want them and about 60% sure the bridesmaids won't, either. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.

Also, I live near the beach, and I really don't know too many guys that actually wear flip flops.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I vote tacky but it isn't because of anything other than I despise flip flops in general. I think they are trashy and the only time they should ever be worn is on the sand at the beach and even then I'd hesitate. I know other people adore them but I think they are disgusting.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_cute-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:59388e52-7ddf-49cf-9a84-e88e485ecb0cPost:2b9d3949-f90d-4778-981c-919c22e339e6">Re: Cute or tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]...I was always excited because my name is RARELY on souvenir keychains, etc., so I bet the excitement lasted longer for me than it did for most people.
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

hahaha me too!! My name is SO rare, & my spelling even more so,

I loved it when they started coming out with intialed items! I had so many B shirts & purses & necklaces & ....

:-P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards