Wedding Party
Options

Wedding Party Gifts

Okay-so I'm on a very tight budget (aren't we all), LOL. And I think I have the bridesmaids gifts figured out: hand-made etched wine glasses (each glass to have their name on it, making a tote bag (different fabric for each one, plus initial put on the bag), and a pair of flip-flops for the reception (or whenever), LOL.
However, we only have one groomsmen gift in mind: beer mugs with their name initialed on it. We can only spend about 10.00 per bridal party member, so that means 50.00 for the guys and some of that goes towards the glasses. Any suggestions or ideas? I'd like it to be something they wear or use again...nothing with groomsmen attached either cause we all know those gifts just end up sitting on a shelf, lol.

Re: Wedding Party Gifts

• Options
    Have you actually gotten any of this yet? I ask because I don't know any adults who like personalized things. I don't think most people would really like a single wine or beer glass with their name on it anyway. Don't worry about making the gifts match and just shop for each individual like it's their birthday or Christmas.

We also had a small budget for gifts and ended up going with books for everyone, chosen based on each person. For example, exercise-obsessed BIL got a Navy Seal workout book and my cousin who loves to knit got a book of one-ball knitting patterns.
  • Options
    If you think they'll like that stuff then go ahead. Personally, I don't know anyone who'd like those things, or doesn't already own them usually from someone else's wedding. Instead of three small gifts that are all identical for each girl, why not one slightly larger gift for each girl, something that's unique to each person and tailored to her interests? Books, DVDs, perfume, sunglasses, gift cards, sports stuff, candy, wine, etc?
  • Options
    Hmmm....I happen to like personalized gifts, would it be better to give two wine glasses and two beer glasses? I just like the idea cause alot of those in the bridal party happen to enjoy alcoholic beverages, LOL. I could leave off personalizing the names and just do a unique design on all of them, but nothing wedding related (we already have the glasses). Already have the fabric for the totes too-just not personalized or made yet. My FMIL is helping me to craft these gifts...so should I leave off personalizing them so much?
    I like the book idea though...I'm going to look into that more, great suggestion!
  • Options
    I should mention that most of the girls live at home with their parents except one....same goes for the guys, so they really don't have their own "stuff" yet....I might leave the girls stuff as it is, just with less personalization, or add something unique to each one but look into other stuff for the guys :)
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    Think about what each individual would like. I know my girls wouldn't like personalized stuff, but for the groomsmen we got flasks and will have their first names engraved on them. I know each of these guys and I know they will love having their own personal flask and they will all use them. We could have gotten each guy something different but we know that this gift fits all of their personalities very well, my FI was actually kind of sad that he isn't getting one too. The girls will all be getting totes with overnight supplies in them but they will also each get a more personal gift, I haven't figured out what each is getting yet but I really like the book idea. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 95image Invited 66image Ready to party 21image Declined
  • Options
    Just an FYI, I wouldn't want any of the "girl" stuff.  Why not shop for them based on their personalities?  I don't understand what them living with their parents has to do with anything.  Surely they have personalities of their own, apart from their parents?

• Options

My BMs are all big wine drinkers so I'm doing 2 wine glasses and I'm going to DIY the chalkboard bottom.  I'm giving them that with their fave bottle of wine (whatever it is) and then a little organza bag with the chalk in it.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-gifts-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:631cdec3-ec4e-4d35-a691-2fe08f7795ccPost:6ad6e059-dca2-4b07-a4a5-689c4e35f658">Re: Wedding Party Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should mention that most of the girls live at home with their parents except one....same goes for the guys, so they really don't have their own "stuff" yet....I might leave the girls stuff as it is, just with less personalization, or add something unique to each one but look into other stuff for the guys :) Thanks for the suggestions!
    Posted by ShyDreamer00[/QUOTE]

I'm just a person who hates "stuff." I don't collect anything, I don't display decorative wine glasses in my house, and back when I still lived with my parents I hated receiving stuff that I had to store away for "someday when I get my own place." I loved getting gifts that I could use at that specific time, or a gift card so I could use it for something I personally wanted (either at that point, or to save it for the future).

And I just honestly don't get why those hand-painted wine glasses are so popular nowadays. I also don't know anyone who buys themself monogrammed things ... I know people who <em>own</em> monogrammed things, but they all received them from being in a wedding party and nobody's particularly gung-ho about it. Kind of like, "I have it so I may as well use it." 

That being said, I have friends who have a bunch of those hand-painted wine glasses and think they're awesome. So it really depends on your friends. Don't feel like they all have to get the exact same thing, though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies-I really appreciate it. I might try and figure out what I can use from what I have gotten so far, then try to do a more personal gift with each one...maybe a book, some sunglasses, make-up, etc...we'll see what I can come up with, LOL!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-gifts-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:631cdec3-ec4e-4d35-a691-2fe08f7795ccPost:eacaad98-c5df-4a9d-9dd0-8a9dd09fc814">Re: Wedding Party Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]My BMs are all big wine drinkers so I'm doing 2 wine glasses and I'm going to DIY the chalkboard bottom.  I'm giving them that with their fave bottle of wine (whatever it is) and then a little organza bag with the chalk in it.
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]

I am doing this too (wine glasses).  Where did you find the organza bags?  Only ones I can seem to find are in sets of like 20... I only need 5!
  • Options
    I personally like monogrammed things and so do some of my friends..  I've bought myself monogrammed things.  I collect hand painted wine glasses and other type of beverage glasses on my own, so when given as a gift I'm pretty excited.
    Wedding Planning Bio & For Sale: valeriewalter.weebly.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am kinda in the same boat....I have bridesmaids gifts figured out(very similar to your ideas), but completely confused on the groomsman gifts!!! We really didn't want to do beer mugs because we felt like everyone does that. We might just do giftcards to their favorite places. Lame I know. lol.  Question...Where did you find/how did you make the wine glasses with their names?? I am trying to find wine glasses with their initials and have been having a hard time!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think its completely up to you. Im doing something similar with the bridesmaids. I got them all totes coloeblock from the knotshop they go on sale and got the 34 tote 7 personalization for 10! each in their favorite color with their first initial on it. I know all my girls will love this and take it to the beach or carry books on campus. I also am trying to stay within a budget so look on Groupon! There are so many good deals to sites that you can custom make labels. I got them all their favorite bottle of wine and made customized wine labels that say thank you with our picture and the wedding date. I also got labels for the homemade bubble bath and hand scrub I am making. Just google it, it is so easy and inexpensive and jars can be purchased from Michaels or AC more with coupons. I also got them flip flops to wear to the reception and tank tops to wear the morning of that have "bridesmaids" written in rhinestones. Tank tops are 3 at forever 21 and rhinestones purchased at Michaels with coupons for 2. Lastly I made them all a "day of survival kit" that has mints, chocolate, lip gloss, shout wipes, advil, tums, bandaids, etc and a nifty poem that explains each thing in the kit. Finally for the groomsmen we got them all something personalized but different. One of our GM collects tall beer glasses and loves rum so that'd what he gets.
  • Options
    ... the other 2 love to hunt so they got buck knives with a wooden handle and their first names engraved knotshop, wait for them to go on sale! and hillbilly sweatshirts that theyll love. Last guy loves beer coozies so for him a leather monogrammed beer coozie and a case of beer. Guys are easy, just get them booze!
  • Options
    I am having trouble too! I'm not into monogramed things personally, so I don't know why that was the first thing that popped into my head for my bridesmaids. I did buy the adult bridesmaids pretty purple leaf shapped wine stoppers and a necklace for my 12 year old neice that is in teh wedding but I want to get them something else. Definitely getting them flipflops. That is the best gift a bridesmaid can get! I'm having a lot of trouble for the guys in our group. Half of them don't drink so I don't want to go with beer or shot glasses. No clue what to get them. FI is no help at all with this either. Lol. I would love to get all the girls a nice necklace for the wedding. I got a necklace at a wedding I was in and love it and still wear it. Then I found out it was really expensive. I just can't afford something like that right now. I'm going to check out Target and all the new stuff at JCPenney. I'm sure I'll find something that I like and can afford.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards