Wedding Party
Options

Question on how to introduce some of the members in my bridal party....as two have their Phd and one

When introducing my two good friends and my brother at the reception, do I say Dr. John Smith or should I just say John Smith?  

Re: Question on how to introduce some of the members in my bridal party....as two have their Phd and one

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm a doctor (MD), and the only time I really use my title is when I'm introducing myself to a new patient.  I think I'd feel odd if someone introduced me as "Dr." at a wedding.  It wouldn't offend me at all though.  If you're going with Miss, Mr, Mrs, for everyone else, then yes, use Dr.

If you do decide to go with the title route, then the PhD's should also be introduced as "Dr.".

ETA, it would also be appropriate just to ask them how they would like to be introduced.
  • Options
    I'd ask what they prefer.

A PhD is never called "doctor" outside of academia.  *

*EPost
  • Options
    Just ask them what they prefer. Although, I do think it's a little pretentious to use the title "doctor" in a social setting.
  • Options
    their professions and academic titles are irrelevant at that time. They are there bc they are friends, whom you call by their names.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_question-introduce-of-members-bridal-partyas-two-their-phd-one-doctor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:68e9c7f5-c538-499f-94da-323f8a75e156Post:3cee1b5f-58a1-4f1e-aea8-c04825c2a319">Re: Question on how to introduce some of the members in my bridal party....as two have their Phd and one is a doctor.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd ask what they prefer. A PhD is never called "doctor" outside of academia.  * *EPost
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

If I went to school for 9 or 10 years to get my PhD, I would be thrilled if someone noticed and took the time to remember I was a "Dr." I don't think it's inappropriate at all.
  • Options
    I think it's pretentious to introduce (or want to be introduced) in such a way.
    Certainly no offense, but doctors aren't...rare. This isn't a Duke or a King or a....Chancellor...lol! I say, at a wedding people are people, introduce them alike!!!!
    "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~Moulin Rouge
  • Options
    Just introduce them as you would to a friend "This is John/Mary/etc" You should address their invitations with their formal title, but if you don't use their title when talking to/about them in everyday conversation, then I wouldn't use it when introducing them. You could also, of course, ask what they would prefer - maybe they're of the "I spent eight years in school for this title I want people to use it" camp (like my HS English teacher...) but maybe they know that as a close friend you don't normally address them by a formal title... Just my 2 cents; I wouldn't use the titles unless they specifically request it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards