Wedding Party
Options

Need Advice - Future SIL is best man

Hi,
  I am really unsure how to handle this so all honest feedback is appreciated. My FI and I are having a destination wedding in July, and his best man had to back out due to med school obligations. Luckily, FI's sister is able to fill in as "best man". I love my future SIL and don't want to upset her, so here's the problem. My colors are green and pink. My sister is maid of honor and the only bridesmaid,  and has ordered a clover green dress that will just barely make it here before the wedding. My future SIL is not going to be able to get the same color dress by the wedding. I asked her to wear a pink dress, but she refused saying she hates pink. Ok, it irked me a little, but I can understand not wanting to wear a color you hate.
  Since she is technically a groomsman, I don't really know what to do. She told me she's got "tons of cute dresses" and will find something appropriate and I shouldn't worry about it. I don't want to seem bridezilla-ish, but I really want to make sure she fits in with the wedding theme.  I don't know what the right thing to do is, since she's not one of my bridesmaids.
  Please, if you have any suggestions, I am completely open to anything at this point. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with my family, but I don't want to risk my wedding looking tacky by having an odd man out so to speak.

Re: Need Advice - Future SIL is best man

• Options
    Since she's the "Best Man"  what if she wore a black dress?  Most groomsmen wear black suits or tuxes.  I bet she even already has a black cocktail dress that would work.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • Options
    I think since she's on your FI's side, he should get to pick what she wears. 
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-advice-future-sil-man?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:7d200619-b867-4a55-951b-cd448375ac21Post:a99fbc14-2caa-4e30-ada9-f9712438600c">Re: Need Advice - Future SIL is best man</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since she's the "Best Man"  what if she wore a black dress?  Most groomsmen wear black suits or tuxes.  I bet she even already has a black cocktail dress that would work.
    Posted by StacyJenniges[/QUOTE]

I really like that idea. It will make her more a part of the groom's side.

It's too bad she couldn't just wear the colour for the one day but you're right for not making it a big deal.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

I would suggest that she find a dress in the color of whatever the groomsmen are wearing.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Your wedding won't be ruined if someone isn't perfectly matched to your color scheme.

• Options
    @ Stacy, that's a great idea! Perfect for me and perfect for her, since she will be avoiding the dreaded pink. Thanks.

Thank you ladies for your advice!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-advice-future-sil-man?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:7d200619-b867-4a55-951b-cd448375ac21Post:dc5f3eb9-05d1-4752-9a3c-d82c61881a07">Re: Need Advice - Future SIL is best man</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ Stacy, that's a great idea! Perfect for me and perfect for her, since she will be avoiding the dreaded pink. Thanks. Thank you ladies for your advice!
    Posted by SouthernBelleLA[/QUOTE]

Great!  I'm glad you liked the idea and I'm glad I could help!
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • Options
    My FI had his sister on his side.  She wore a black dress with an ivory sash and it looked wonderful with the tuxes (my girls wore a dark red dress with ivory sashes).
    Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    *sigh*
    one day i will be a groomswoman, and on that day i am totally wearing a tux.

they even have women's tuxes to rent now at Men's Warehouse. just throwing that out there. =P
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    You can't go wrong with a black dress! Almost everyone has one and if they don't, they are usually easy to find.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    A black dress with perhaps a clover green sash would tie both sides together and still allow your SIL to not wear a pink dress.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, a black dress works great and should make both of you happy.  My FI's good female friend is on his side, and we're having her wear a black dress.
  • Options
    I say trust her to find something appropriate. Green and pink are not the only colors that go with green and pink, you know? My DH's BFF was his Groomswoman and she picked out a teal dress. Our colors were eggplant and green and I was beyond miffed that she couldn't stay in the color scheme, but it ended up looking fine. We had a jewel-tone saturated color wedding and it was very pretty. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-advice-future-sil-man?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:7d200619-b867-4a55-951b-cd448375ac21Post:b00f6a01-1161-492a-8b20-72c1dfdd2f16">Re: Need Advice - Future SIL is best man</a>:
    [QUOTE]A black dress with perhaps a clover green sash would tie both sides together and still allow your SIL to not wear a pink dress.
    Posted by thesequel[/QUOTE]

I agree with this..a black dress with a clover green sash would look great!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards