Wedding Party
Options

FG and RB Attire

How do you tell the parents of the FG and RB what you want them to wear? Obviously I'm not going to pick something super expensive but I feel bad asking them to pay but I know that's how it works and can't really pay for extras like that
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FG and RB Attire

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

If you've already asked them to participate, was any mention made of who'll pay for their attire? If not, touch base with them in a few months and say, "I wanted to ask you what you want to spend on Susie's flower girl dress. Give me a budget and then I'll look for dresses for her in that price range."

Or, if you aren't horribly picky about the kids' attire, say something like, "Ours colors are X and Y, and the wedding will be [level of formality]. Why don't you send me some website links of ideas and I can sign off on them before you make the purchase?"

Or offer to go shopping with them, but let the parents take the lead on picking stuff out if they will be paying for it. That way they can pick stuff in their price range.  

Or, if the kids already own something appropriate (maybe a previous flower girl/Communion/party dress for the girl, or a nice suit or blazer for the boy), ask the parents to send you a photo and you can give the O.K. You can always buy a sash or a necktie in your colors if you want. The outfits just need to match the formality of the wedding ... a party dress is really no different than a "flower girl dress" from a salon. Department stores, consignment shops and eBay are your friends.

You need to pay for the ring pillow, basket and petals, boutonniere, hair wreath, etc. Ask the parents to just put them in nice shoes - if you are requiring specific shoes or jewelry/accessories then you need to pay.

There are plenty of resources out there to outfit the kids for $50 each or less. If you decide that it's just best that you pay, or if the parents are on a strict budget (especially if the kids are siblings), then maybe come back here and we can help you find some cute and affordable attire.

• Options
    Definitely steer clear of "wedding wear" for them. I figure we'll just get a party dress at a department store for ours.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I had to return my brother's suit from prom and took a look at an on sale rack. There was an Alfred Angelo dress on clearance for $30. I wanted to buy it but realized I didn't know her size or anything. I've already bought the pillow, basket, etc. It just kinda dawned on me how that works.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

With a year until your wedding, I'd be really wary of buying a kid's outfit now. Kids grow like weeds. (I wouldn't even buy an adult's outfit now, since people sometimes gain/lose weight, and women could get pregnant, in a year.)

Awesome deal, but it's not going to be worth it if she'll need a bunch of alterations in 10 months, know what I mean?

If it was closer to the wedding, I'd personally say to buy the dress then ask the parents what they want to spend ... if they were to say more than $30, I'd hand them the dress (ask if they're O.K. with it) and just ask for $30 to cover it. If it's less than $30, just ask for that amount and quietly cover the rest. If they say they can't spend anything, just eat the cost of the dress.

• Options
    We told our FG's mom what our colors were and told her to find something within her budget ... I said I honestly don't care because I still have my first communion dress, and dress when I was a FG - both were only worn once and now hang up in my closet - so if she finds something that her daughter can rewear, that's cool too. I actually saw a fancy FG dress at Marshall's for $15 the other day, but it's too far out to buy it since like PP said -- kids grow like weeds!

Honestly, if the kid is cute... they'll look cute in anything. Don't sweat it. You'll be able to easily find something within the parents' budget [: 
  • Options
    If you already asked the parents and the FG and Rb to be apart of you're wedding then the parents should be expecting to pay for the attire. Pick out what you want anbd call the parents up. You;re right, don't pick anything that is too pricey, but pick something that you like. MY RB tux is actually free because we rented all the tuxes from one location. And my FG is dress is only about $70.  Bets of luck!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    ditto malphabet.  Buying a dress for a little girl a year in advance pretty much guarantees that it won't be usable in a year.  You have the perfect timeline to tell her mom to buy a cute Easter dress next year.  The stores will be full of them, and she'll be able to get a sweet dress that will be perfect.

And snoopychick:  $70 for a dress for a little girl is a LOT, in my opinion.  I don't think we ever paid $70 for a dress for our DDs.  I'm glad the parents of your FG were okay with that. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards