Wedding Party
Options

Pay for out of town wedding party's airfare and hotel stay?

Is it proper etiquette to pay for your out of town wedding party's airfare and hotel room or should the wedding party expect to pay for their own stay?

Re: Pay for out of town wedding party's airfare and hotel stay?

• Options
    You're not required to pay for their travel costs, but do be understanding if they're not able to make the trip due to finances.  If you're able to offer them a room, that's great.  Or if you have a hotel block reserved at a discounted rate, point them in that direction.
  • Options
    Only if you are demanding that they come in earlier than planned, and/or if you are demanding that they stay at a certain hotel. ("I want you to come in a week in advance to help me assemble favors," or "You all have to stay in the room with me the night before the wedding.")

Otherwise, no, it's not your responsibility to pay for them. Block some hotel rooms or help scout out inexpensive hotels in your area, or maybe ask around if some local friends/relatives have a spare room where your bridal party can stay.

You need to pay for anything other than their dress that you are requiring - specific shoes, pro hair and makeup, hotel stays, whatever. If you give them the option ("Wear any black shoes that you want" or "I'm having my hair styled by Chez Susan and you can use that salon but you don't have to, you can find your own or style it yourself") then they can pay for whatever they want to have.
  • Options
    My FMIL told me that this is required; however, it is not. It is a nice thing to do but not a requirement. I've offered for the OOT wedding party to stay with us the night before the wedding if they decide to come in to town. They have all said they will be booking a hotel room for the night of the wedding on their dime. While they are in town we will be purchasing meals so that they won't feel as strained.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    No.  In fact, I paid all of my expenses for a wedding I was in a few years ago in Ireland.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    This is an old-fashioned rule, and providing WP accommodations usually meant the spare room at your aunt's house, not a hotel.  Very few people do this anymore.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    Everyone was coming in from OOT (destination wedding), so we paid as needed.  I fronted my brother and his wife airfare and was paid back.  My MOH, her husband, and one of the BMs drove out together, and I gave them gas money and paid for one night at a modest hotel.  They chose to stay a second night instead of their original plan of driving home right after the reception, but they picked up the tab for that.  No one else asked for help with travel, so that was all.  (The 3 BMs who I didn't help with travel chose very cheap/free dresses, and DH paid for the best man's tux.)

We also paid for dinner (pizza) the night befor ethe weddng, lunch the day of, the evening reception, and brunch the next day; we got good deals on all of the extra meals and that food was by no means fancy, but a couple of people mentioned how much it helped not to have to pay for meals on top of the other travel expenses.

If at all possible, I think you should set aside money to help out attendants who have to travel.  I know I started scrimping from our day-to-day budget (like bringing my lunch instead of buying) so we'd have extra money to help people get to Vegas.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    it all depends....i have a few bridesmaids traveling from ohio to wisconsin so we were going to offset by paying hotel costs - it is a big expense - dress, travel, food (though we will feed them for sure!), hotel, etc....

but they both have said don't stress about it...odds are we wil still help our ohio friends out in one way or another...
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    I don't think it's required, in fact I have a smiliar situation. My finace and I live in Ohio but are getting married in my home town in Alaska, all of my family and most of my WP is there however our MOH and best man live here in Ohio as well, we are paying their airfare and they will be staying with us at my moms, and will probably be splitting the cost of food. But we also bought both our MOH and bestmans dress/tux. We knew they couldn't afford and it meant alot to have them there. Even though I was told I shouldn't foot travel expenses for them it was worth having them there.
  • Options
    Old school etiquette states that you provide accomodations for the BP.  I don't see this done often.

For my BMs and MOH, I offered them to stay at my parents' home the night before the wedding which worked out fine.  The night of the wedding they were on their own to stay at hotels or their own homes.

When DH and I have been in weddings, we've paid for our own hotel and we didn't expect any help.
  • Options
    It's not required, but it's a nice gesture. 
    No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • Options
    It's very thoughtful to pay for at least one night of their hotel, especially rather than offer for them to stay with relatives. I personally would rather pay for my own hotel than stay with a random relative of the bride or groom. We are paying for all of our wedding party hotel rooms for both Friday & Saturday nights, since we are hosting them as a part of our wedding!
  • Options
    In no way is that required.  The WP understands the cost of traveling when they accept to be in the wedding party and/or accept to come to the wedding.  They would have to pay for it if they were attending anyways.  Its not like you're paying for every out of town guest.  However, if you have extra rooms in your house it would be nice to offer it up to those who are financially strained
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pulga, why do you treat BMs like brideslaves who need to do what they're told and to be grateful for the privilege of spending money for your wedding?  It's a very off-putting idea.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    i was in a wedding a few years ago and they paid for a room overnight for me and the WP got ready in it the next morning so it was like a two for one for them
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards