Wedding Party
Options

NWR: Help from you lawyerly types

So I'm working away on my novel, and since one of my characters works at a private law firm and I'm a stickler for, if not accuracy, then at least plausibility, I thought I'd turn to you lovely ladies for some fact checking.

1)  I have him written as a "junior associate."  Is that even a thing?  I want him positioned low on the totem pole, but not all the way at the bottom.  Minor detail, but like I said, I worry about these things.

2)  This one is trickier.  My next plot point has another character going to the firm to try to track this guy down, since he's gone missing.  But he can't just walk in and say, "Hey, anyone seen Greg?"  He has to do it sneaky-like so no one knows what he's really asking.  I think my current plan is for him to pose as a client claiming that no headway has been made on his case, and try to get some direct contact information out of them.  Would something like that actually work?  Any better ideas?  This is sort of a roadblock for me and I don't want to fall behind on my word count or have to skip too far ahead, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hate to post and run, but I've gotta get to bed.  I'll check on this in the morning.
This is a neglected planning bio.
This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284

Re: NWR: Help from you lawyerly types

• Options
    ManwaithielManwaithiel member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    From what little I know from John Grisham books (=D), junior associate is a real position.

Everything else will have to be left to Brooke, Tricia, or LD.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Tricia, you're a lifesaver.  The lunch idea is just too perfect, thank you so much!  Way better than what I had planned.  Follow up questions: How many named partners would a large firm be expected to have?  How many secretaries?  Would the secretaries be mostly female, or is it a more even split along gender lines?

Seriously, you've saved my butt.  If we ever do get to meet up in person I totally owe you a drink.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    How many named partners would a large firm be expected to have? 
    A named partner is anyone whose name is in the firm name. e.g. Dewey Cheatum & Howe.  Moe Dewey, Larry Cheatum and Curly Howe are the named partners.  These are also the guys who are almost impossible to get a hold of in large firms - mostly because they barely practice anymore providing they are still alive.  The secretaries are the gatekeepers.  In medium sized and small firms, they are usually the ones who founded the firm in the first place and are very easy to talk you.  It's pretty rare that you get stopped by a secretary.

How many secretaries? 
    Partners all have their own secretary.  Some large firms assign a secretary for every attorney.  Some of them have secretaries taking care of two or three attorneys.  Others assign paralegals to cases and they work with whatever attorneys are working on the cases while a typing pool transcribes all of the dictation - at really large firms, a secretary is assigned to a group of attorneys to oversee all of this and handle scheduling and inquiries from opposing attorneys about whether things like discovery answers are almost ready to be sent back to them or when a deposition can be scheduled.

Would the secretaries be mostly female, or is it a more even split along gender lines?
    Secretaries are almost 100% female.  There are quite a few court reporters though who are men, unfortunately, older male attorneys haven't wrapped their head around this yet.  If a female attorney and male court reporter are in the lobby before a deposition, an unrecognized (and especially if young) female attorney will be told to go set up.  The best response I ever heard of was when a male court reporter said, "I'm the court reporter; I just forgot to wear my skirt today."  Needless to say, he got a lot of business from all the women attorneys who heard about this.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_nwr-lawyerly-types?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:877bce7d-020c-498b-b142-ff694fdd8906Post:8b7d980b-612b-4fcb-ba81-2a509419052f">Re: NWR: Help from you lawyerly types</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tricia, you're a lifesaver.  The lunch idea is just too perfect, thank you so much!  Way better than what I had planned.  Follow up questions: How many named partners would a large firm be expected to have?  How many secretaries?  Would the secretaries be mostly female, or is it a more even split along gender lines? Seriously, you've saved my butt.  If we ever do get to meet up in person I totally owe you a drink.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]
    Depends on the firm.  Large (inter)national firms sometimes have really small names (i.e. DLA Piper, the largest firm in the world).  Some also have really long official names but go by shorter ones (i.e. MintzLevin's formal name is Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky & Popeo but you never hear them referred to as anything other than MintzLevin.  They also have partners that are not listed in the firm's title.  So you could very plausibly have a short name that your firm goes by that is significantly shorter than its formal title.<div>
    </div><div>However a large, prestigious local firm would have the traditional names-of-partners-in-the-title (think Crane, Poole and Schmidt from Boston Legal where Crane, Poole and Schmidt were practicing attorneys who were characters in the show).  <div>
    </div><div>I have never seen a male secretary at a large law firm.</div></div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards