Wedding Party
Options

how do you choose

Some people have 1000 female friends that they want to be their BM and have a hard time choosing. I have the oppositie problem. I moved out of state for grad school and have had a hard time keeping in touch with friends from home. The only girl that I feel really close to here just moved home to help take care of her mom. Right now I have my sister for my MOH and my FI's little sister as a junior BM.
My fiance wants to have 4 GM (2 brothers and 2 friends). FI asked me if one of his female cousinscan be a BM so he can keep his 2 friends in the party. She's nice, but I've only met her once. It would be hard to get to know her since she's in CA and I'm in FL. I don't mind the idea, just think it would be awkward.
Anyone just have 1 or 2 BM?

Re: how do you choose

• Options
    Uneven sides are OKAY!!!  If you only want those two ladies on your side, then just have two on your side.  If he wants four guys on his side, he should have four on his side.  You should include the people you are closest to - don't add extras or exclude important people just for the sake of symmetry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's completely okay to have only 1 attendant. It's completely okay to have none! It's your decision. Think about who you would call if something fantastic happened, or if you needed bailed out of jail at 3am. Those are the people who should be your attendants.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would suggest having uneven sides with people that you really want rather than even sides.  Think about 5 years later when you look at your wedding photos, will you still be friends with this person or will she really be someone filling space.

Funny enough, my FI and I added up the total number of years we've been friends with the WP. Together it's over 150 years, so we feel we will probably be friends with these people for a long time to come. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Think about who you would call if something fantastic happened, or if you needed bailed out of jail at 3am. Those are the people who should be your attendants.
    Posted by Licia&Wayne[/QUOTE]

Too funny...but true!
  • Options
    I'm sort of the same way. I can count on one hand the girls I really trust, I have 5 BMs, 2 are FI's sisters and 2 are childhood friends and MOH is college roommate.

FI had 5, had a falling out with best man, now he has 4, we're not worrying about uneven sides...it is what it is!

FIs sister had 7 BMs and her husband had 4 GMs!

Just pick who you can count on and you couldnt imagine not standing up there with you on your day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2010
    I only had two bridesmaids - my sister and a friend. MH had his friend and my brother. Everything worked out very nicely and we were 100% happy with our choices. If you want to see pictures, click my <a href="mbcdd.weebly.com" title="[bio]">[bio]</a> link below.

We didn't set out to have an even bridal party but it just happened to work out that way. (I was considering having my brother stand on my side as my attendant, but MH said he'd like to have him as a groomsman.)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_choose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:8b5d7316-0af4-42a4-b8d0-132fcfd8b677Post:736ac221-e515-47c7-a03d-9c016a821196">how do you choose</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI asked me if one of his female cousinscan be a BM so he can keep his 2 friends in the party. She's nice, but I've only met her once. It would be hard to get to know her since she's in CA and I'm in FL. I don't mind the idea, just think it would be awkward.
    Posted by KlassyWithaK[/QUOTE]

I don't get why having his two friends in the wedding party would require including his cousin. None of this has anything to do with who should be asked.

He should ask who he wants and you should ask who you want. If you would just like to have your sister and FSIL, and he wants more than two guys, that's fine. If he wants his cousin on his own side, that's also fine. She can wear a black dress.

Uneven bridal parties and mixed-gender bridal parties are VERY common. You would not be the first or the last couple to do either/both of these things. I am sure that people on this board would be thrilled to share photos and stories with you depicting these scenarios, if you and your FI need to be assured that it'll be O.K.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards