Wedding Party

Help! Should I confront bride or leave well enough alone?

Hi folks, I am a bridesmaid in an upcoming March wedding.  A little background:  the bride a good friend of mine and we've known each other since the 6th grade.  The wedding is in a city where neither of their families are from but it's currently where they both live and work (so you can in essence, call it a destination wedding).

Here's my issue.  When I told her I would be a bridesmaid, I knew I would have to buy a plane ticket, a dress, and shoes.  Fortunately for me, I have family in the area and will be staying with them instead of a hotel.  However, the dress was more expensive than I would have liked, and plane tickets are outrageous (I'm going to have to use my tax refund to buy).  That's fine...I'll do anything to be there for my friend.

Well I sent her an email the other day asking about shoes.  I get a reply back that I MUST wear hiking boots.  WTF?!?!  Looking at a website, I'm looking to shell out at least $125.  PLUS, I live in the upper-midwest.  What on earth am I going to do with these after the wedding???

I guess I'm mostly miffed that she made this decision without consulting me first.  She KNEW I am having money issues.  When I got married 8 years ago (since divorced), when it came to my wedding party (which included her), the first thing I thought of was "How much is this going to cost them?"  The strangest part - she's ALWAYS complaining about money and her student loans!  You would think her of all people would be a little more sensitive to other peoples' financial situations.

So my question is:  Should I confront her about this, or should I just keep my mouth shut?  I know she's having other "drama" issues with other people (to be frank, she attracts drama) so I don't want to cause her any more stress.  But at the same time, part of me really wants to let her know that I feel that she thinks we're all made of money and that's not true (I know that the other two bridesmaids are in the same boat as me finanically, but I don't know if they have the same issues with these boots as me).  Plus, I think my anger might be a little amplified because this is not the first time she's ticked me off about the wedding since she's been engaged.

Please be nice...I'm just looking for a little advice.  I'll buy the damn hiking boots, I'm just not happy about it. :)

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards