Wedding Party

Pregnant BM help

My sister, that lives in hawaii, just found out she was pregnant last night. I just ordered her dress for her yesterday!!! The wedding is less than five months away, there is no way she will be able to fit into her dress. We are going to have to change her dress, which is understandable. All of the girls are wearing different dresses, but the same material; satin. I do not think it is possible to put her in a satin dress when she is five months pregnant. Will it look bad if she is in a different material, like chiffon, or will it be okay because she is pregnant?

what if i put her and another sister in a short dress, just the same material. I was looking online at DB and found a maternity appropriate satin dress just short. I could have 3 bms with long and 2 with short. hows that?

Re: Pregnant BM help

• It'd be O.K. whether she was pregnant or not. Your guests aren't going to notice or care if the dresses aren't the exact same material/color/style/whatever. As long as the bridesmaids' boobs aren't hanging out, whatever they wear will be fine. 

A lot can happen in five months ... your sister doesn't know how big she will get, for example. If you just ordered her dress, you may have time to call them and cancel it, order a maternity dress from the same designer, or order a larger size. If you can't change the order, you could ask to order a matching shawl or extra fabric and a seamstress can make the dress a bit bigger for her (your sister can do this closer to the wedding date so that she can see how big she is by then).

If you can't do any of that, then she can get an off-the-rack maternity dress in a color similar to your other bridesmaids' dresses. Or she can get a neutral-colored dress (black, brown/latter, silver, gray) and you can tie in the wedding colors with flowers and maybe a shawl or sash.

Is your sister the Maid of Honor? A lot of brides have their MOH in a different dress/color anyway. And people will understand that a pregnant woman needs special accommodations. But regardless of that, people REALLY aren't so invested in your wedding that they will be upset or find it "tacky" if one BM is dressed a little differently than the rest. There are bridal parties out there where every single BM is in something different, and those people are no more/less married and happy than you will be.
  • First off, thank you for not wanting to kick her out of your bridal party. *phew*

That said, everyone is different. I didn't show until I hit 6 months. One of my preggo BM's is 5 months and is just starting to show. It depends on the cut of the dress, the comfort level of her, and how her body is changing. I really might consider leaving this decision up to her- say, if your dresses are all red, letting her pick a red dress off the rack a few weeks before.

There's also a ton of designers who make a maternity line. Look into those. There are satin ones if you're really that worried about the fabric. Highly doubtful the guests will be looking at the bm's thinking about different materials.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of my BM told me that they were trying for baby #2 a week before we went dress shopping. She bought the same dress as the other BM but got it 2 sizes bigger. She is now pregnant and will be about 6 1/2 mo at my wedding. She figured she would just get the bigger size and have it taken it to fit around her baby bump.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI's sister found out she was pregnant right before buying her dress so she ordered the same one as all the BM's just 8 sizes bigger and it's already too small and she's only about 5 months into her pregnancy and the wedding is in June.  It's a chiffon dress so she's having the statin underlining removed and replaced with a stretch fabric.  The chiffon still fits fine.  But what a pain!

Every woman is different so I recommend letting her buy one off the rack before the wedding.  It's so much easier for her and you!
  • edited April 2011
    I bet if you call the store you ordered the dresses from and let them know that you just found out that she was pregnant that they'd let you alter her order.  I don't really think the type of material matters.  More of the shape of the dress.  Ask her what she'd feel comfortable in.

If she keeps her original dress style than it is tough to say how big or small she'll be in 5 months, but I always like to be on the safe side.  Why not get a dress that is 1 or 2 sizes larger than her original order?  It's a lot easier to take a dress in than to take it out.

Seamstresses can do miracles too.  One of my friends happened to lose a ton of weight right before a wedding she was in.  The seamstress was able to take her size 14 dress down to a size 4 (crazy!).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She definitely can still where a satin dress.  Actually this fabric is preferred if it has to be let out because usually with chiffon or other shear fabric there usually isn't a lot of leeway.  Call the store you ordered it from and tell them the situation.  I am sure they have dealt with this many times before  They may be able to suggest what size to order it in or ask them what the latest time to order a new dress would be...this way you can wait until it gets a little closer to get a more approximate size.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards