Wedding Party
Options

picking a wedding party

I know I want my sister to be my maid of honor. As far as anyone else, I'm not sure. I feel like since moving states 3 years ago I haven't made close friends with anyone. I just sort of have friends. I don't feel very close to my old friends either. Work and grad school have been my life. Don't get me wrong I go out with people and enjoy their time but I just feel kind of weird asking anyone else to be in my bridal party because we are not close like I use to be with them or how I feel I should be to ask someone. At the same time, I sort of want a few more people for some reason (not sure why)...but every time I think of asking others I feel there is a 7-way tie for who I would ask next.....there is no way I am having 8 bridesmaids. On top of it all, I was at a party a few weekends ago with my fiance and I guess I got really drunk because I think I might have sort of asked someone that is friend with me through my friance. The reason I think this happened is she brought it up to my fiance at work this week. She is one of the people I hang out with here and probably my closest girl friend in TN and one of the 7 other people I was thinking about but I don't know what to do because I don't want to be like yeah I meant it until I am sure. I asked my fiance how many guys he wants for his groomsmen and he says he doesn't care. ahhhhhh

Re: picking a wedding party

• Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_picking-wedding-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:b426309c-3078-4770-8baf-3aa6cd677327Post:ea4af97f-c284-4c4b-9fb0-8ff3f48042b1">picking a wedding party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know I want my sister to be my maid of honor. As far as anyone else, I'm not sure. I feel like since moving states 3 years ago I haven't made close friends with anyone. I just sort of have friends. I don't feel very close to my old friends either. Work and grad school have been my life. Don't get me wrong I go out with people and enjoy their time but I just feel kind of weird asking anyone else to be in my bridal party because we are not close like I use to be with them or how I feel I should be to ask someone. At the same time, I sort of want a few more people for some reason (not sure why)...but every time I think of asking others I feel there is a 7-way tie for who I would ask next.....there is no way I am having 8 bridesmaids. On top of it all, I was at a party a few weekends ago with my fiance and I guess I got really drunk because I think I might have sort of asked someone that is friend with me through my friance. The reason I think this happened is she brought it up to my fiance at work this week. She is one of the people I hang out with here and probably my closest girl friend in TN and one of the 7 other people I was thinking about but I don't know what to do because I don't want to be like yeah I meant it until I am sure. I asked my fiance how many guys he wants for his groomsmen and he says he doesn't care. ahhhhhh
    Posted by osuchica85[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I would just have your sister as you MOH. You can just do a MOH and a Best man. Or if he wants to ask more people, even numbers are not really a big deal anymore. Don't pick people just to pick. </div><div>
    </div><div>As for the friend you may have accidentally asked, that one is tough. Technically once you ask, you are stuck, but maybe this would be an exception? You have plenty of time. Just wait it out and see what happens with her. Let her bring it up. Worst case, you have a BM and a MOH, if you do ask your sister. Leave it at that. </div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Pick who you are closest to. If it's just your sister, that's fine (even if you FI has several groomsmen).

Don't bring in people to pad up your side of the bridal party ... nobody is going to care if your sides are even or if you have a bunch of people up there with you. Your guests are there to support your marriage, not criticize you based on how many attendants you have. People will likely think, "They wanted to keep it small and simple," not, "Ew, she's a loser with no friends" (because then why would people agree to attend as guests if you had no friends?). And people know when they're being brought in as filler material, so don't hurt the feelings of the friends you're not that close to, because they'll just know that they were asked to flesh things out.

If you are really close to your brothers or guy friends/cousins, it's fine to ask them to stand up on your side as well.

Our bridal party was just my sister and my brother (MH is an only child), and one friend apiece. It was SO nice not to have to wrangle a giant herd of people at our wedding, everything was totally drama-free, and it didn't cost us a fortune (remember that you'll need to pay for their flowers, thank you gifts, limo space, and rehearsal dinner meals for them and their partners, and you will need to get them to agree on outfits). I am a HUGE fan of keeping wedding stuff small and simple wherever possible. If you have just a MOH then it should be a breeze for you to pick out her dress and pay for her flowers and stuff.
  • Options
    I'm in kind of the same position as far as bridesmaids, and DF has too many people he wants to ask, so we decided We're doing only a moh and best man.
  • Options
    Thank you all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards