Wedding Party
Options

Can't choose my bridesmaids!!!! Help!

I have many close friends, almost too many and it is making it difficult to choose my bridal party.  I thought about having just family as bridesmaids, but I want to have several of my friends with and around me the day of. Any suggestions are welcome.  Blessings to all brides-to-be!

Re: Can't choose my bridesmaids!!!! Help!

• Options
    Why do you need to make the decision before Christmas?  What needs to be done now that it's so urgent?  If people pester you for an answer at Christmas, you can just say, "Oh, we haven't decided that quite yet."

Imagine that you had to cut down your wedding list to only include your WP.  Who could you not possibly imagine getting married without?  Ask those people.  The only consideration should be how close your relationship currently is--not what they can do for you, not childhood promises, not whose wedding you were in, not what the numbers look like, none of that.

And please don't make up silly pity positions.  I don't know what a registry attendant is, but I doubt it's something anyone would really want to do.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Paragraphs are your friend.

Please don't ask anyone to be an honorary attendant.  What is that any way?

What is a registry attendant?

Ask the people that are nearest and dearest to you.

Forget high school/grade school promises.

Being invited as a guest is an honor itself. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_cant-choose-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:bc9c744c-7259-404d-9efb-66922690302bPost:b1658a3b-fcd6-486c-bf42-e5006e96dfd0">Re: Can't choose my bridesmaids!!!! Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please edit this to put it into paragraphs.  Makes it easier to read.  Then take a deep breath. Unless you're getting married on or before Memorial Day, no, you don't need to make the decision before Christmas. Don't overestimate how many people WANT to be in your wedding.  Many people will be thrilled for you, yet still want to wear what they choose and come and go as they please as a guest at your wedding.  With only a handful of exceptions, that's how I'd prefer to be involved in the weddings of just about everyone in my life.  I'm sure your friends are no exception. Anyone who would hold you to some promise you made when you were 14 about being in your wedding is insane, especially if you aren't really friends anymore.  So if you wouldn't otherwise want her, don't ask her. I don't know what a "registry attendant" is but it doesn't sound like an honor (more of a job) so don't try to fill that role.   As for everyone else: You can cut this down from 15 people.  I don't believe that if you ask one friend you must ask all.  Now, if you have 5 close friends and would only like to ask 4, that's a problem and you should ask all 5.  But choosing 5 or whatever from 15 people?  Totally do-able . How you choose: Ask yourself (without regard to numbers, symmetry, gender, tit-for-tat, etc.) who you want standing next to you when you say your vows.  Then ask accordingly.  Don't think about who has money or can plan a party, don't think about who will put their lives on hold while you're engaged, none of that nonsense.   ETA: Remember too what a WP is and what it isn't. <strong> It's your nearest and dearest whom you honor by asking them to stand with you when you get married.  It's not your cheerleading squad, party planning committee, sycophants, worshipers, etc.</strong>  Make sure you don't lose sight of that.
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

Bolded part was SO excellent.  Keep that handy to c&p brooke.  I love it.

OP:  Put the brakes on until after Christmas.  After Christmas, start thinking:  who would I call to meet me in the emergency room at 3:00 am in the morning?  That's your WP. 

And I agree with others:  please don't overestimate how happy people will be just to be a guest.  My DD said, a couple of months ago, that she was so happy just to go to a wedding as a guest.  Not that she didn't care about the bride, because she did.  But to avoid all of the extra cost and hoopla was a relief for her.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_cant-choose-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:bc9c744c-7259-404d-9efb-66922690302bPost:95591aa0-00eb-47b7-92a6-34c79212673d">Re: Can't choose my bridesmaids!!!! Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]A registry attendant is someone who stands at the entrance of the church and welcomes, hands out bulletins etc. It must be a southern thing, or I just didn't explain myself well. Plus it is a perfect job for my fiances' sisters, if you know what I mean.
    Posted by krohnl[/QUOTE]
    No, I don't, and I don't like the tone that comes with it.<div>
    </div><div>I would also caution against saying "it's a southern thing" because there are LOTS of southerners on this board and are usually quick to point out that things like this are considered rude in the south.</div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I also don't know what you mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards