Wedding Party

Paying for their dress?

Ok so I went looking at Bridesmaid dresses at AA where I got my dress, and they are flippin EXPENSIVE. I want to buy all the girls dresses but I don't know if this is possible. What is the proper thing to do on this? Should I make them pay for their own, or pay most of it...? Or is there a cheaper place I don't know of that I can buy a dress for all my girls? HELP!!! How do I ask the girls opinion on this issue anyway?

image213 Invited
image150 Wouldn't Miss it for the World image39 Will Celebrate From Afar
RSVP Date: July 20, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Paying for their dress?

• Traditionally, bridesmaids pay for their own dresses. Sometimes the bride pays, if she can afford it. Sometimes she quietly helps out one bridesmaid she knows needs it.

There are lots of ways you and/or your bridesmaids can save on dresses. David's Bridal has some $100 styles, but the department stores have formal dresses in lots of sizes for less than $100. Mom and I found a bridesmaid-dress-possibility at Macy's on Monday for $80.

You can find more casual dresses at department stores for less than $50.
  • RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You only have to pay for all of their dresses if you choose them without regard to their budget.  If you ask your BMs individually what their dress budget is, and stay within it, then you don't have to pay.  You can also chip in, expecially if you want to go over their budgets. 

If AA is too pricey for your group, David's Bridal has traditional BM dresses that at times are as low as $50 or $60.  If you're open to nontraditional options, you can shop at department stores, on Etsy, or even tell them all to wear their favorite little black dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_paying-their-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:bd2077f9-7a49-41cc-b6e9-3920951f7f13Post:59b30646-5a92-44d7-a891-4751bca0292d">Re: Paying for their dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You only have to pay for all of their dresses if you choose them without regard to their budget.  If you ask your BMs individually what their dress budget is, and stay within it, then you don't have to pay.  You can also chip in, expecially if you want to go over their budgets.  If AA is too pricey for your group, David's Bridal has traditional BM dresses that at times are as low as $50 or $60.  If you're open to nontraditional options, you can shop at department stores, on Etsy, or even tell them all to wear their favorite little black dress.
    Posted by RaptorSLH[/QUOTE]

All of this!  I opted for BCBGeneration dresses from Macy's and my girls tell me constantly how much they appreciate it.  I personally HATE dresses that look like bridesmaid dresses because even if it is short people don't wear those again.  That isn't a requirement but you clearly are thoughtful towards your girls so it is something to consider.  If they will wear it again, more expensive (though not over budget) is okay.  One thing I did that helped me from a timing standpoint and to understand the girls' style and budget was ask them to send me dresses they liked (that fit what I wanted...black, short, under $150).  The girls who had time and cared did, the others didn't.  The dress I picked (in my profile), my MOH actually found.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards