Wedding Party
Options

I need a special position for young girl

My mother's best friend has 2 daughters who I adore. The youngest who will be 6 at the time of our wedding is the flower girl. The eldest who will be 12 at the time has expressed she is too old to be a flower girl, and I agree with her. I want her to do something much more meaningful than a gift attendant or something along those lines. I already tried to get her to agree to do a reading but she says she would be too nervous and said she is not a good reader. 

So, what is something special and meaningful she could do for the wedding?Any ideas would be great!
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: I need a special position for young girl

• Options
    She could be a bridesmaid/jr bridesmaid.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    Bridesmaid.  She'll be doing just what the other BMs do:  she'll wear a dress that is perhaps similar to the other BM's but more age appropriate.  She'll walk down the aisle, stand respectfully during the ceremony, and smile for the photos afterward.

And I'm sure she'd be thrilled!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Oh that was something I forgot to mention. If I did a Junior Bridesmaid the sides would be uneven! I know this doesn't matter to most people but it would probably bother me. Especially since the pictures would show the unevenness of the sides. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-special-position-young-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:cfe3dbac-adcc-4e8b-8c19-105697d07b18Post:c757da08-f62e-4898-990b-db03912465da">Re: I need a special position for young girl</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh that was something I forgot to mention. If I did a Junior Bridesmaid the sides would be uneven! I know this doesn't matter to most people but it would probably bother me. Especially since the pictures would show the unevenness of the sides. 
    Posted by ShellyM2011[/QUOTE]

Okay...then which is more important?  The twelve year old or symmetry in your pictures?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    If you are that worried about symmetry then it would be better to add the girl.  Think about it.  You are the bride in a big white dress.  Your DH will be wearing something very similar to the groomsmen and will blend right in, so photos with an even number of bm and gm actually look lopsided.  If you add her, let's say that you will now have 5 bm on your side and then 5 guys on your other side.  Ta da!  Symmetry. 

However, if you really do care about the people that are standing up with you, you won't look at a picture and see the number of bodies, you will see each person's face and remember how special it was to have each of them standing up with you.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-special-position-young-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:cfe3dbac-adcc-4e8b-8c19-105697d07b18Post:8a6095fc-cd8a-40a2-b05a-189372f6e8ad">Re: I need a special position for young girl</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need a special position for young girl : Okay...then which is more important?  The twelve year old or symmetry in your pictures?
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

This. 
    I updated my bio on 06/24/10, however if you want to see my planning bio you have to go to www.lizardlipsplanningbio.weebly.com because I am having a hard time making it clicky!
  • Options
    Your OP said you adore the 12 year old and want to include her in your wedding.  But now you say that symmetry means more to you than the girl does.

You really can't have it both ways.  You'd rather have symmetry in your photos than include the girl as a BM?  She's 100% able to be a bridesmaid.  She'd be so thrilled to be a BM (my DIL had her 11 or 12 year old cousin as a BM and she was simply delighted all day long!)

If she won't do a reading, then the only other not-made-up, not-a-pity-position, is BM.

For goodness sakes, think about what you're saying here. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_need-special-position-young-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:cfe3dbac-adcc-4e8b-8c19-105697d07b18Post:c757da08-f62e-4898-990b-db03912465da">Re: I need a special position for young girl</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh that was something I forgot to mention. If I did a Junior Bridesmaid the sides would be uneven! I know this doesn't matter to most people but it would probably bother me. Especially since the pictures would show the unevenness of the sides. 
    Posted by ShellyM2011[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    my sister is going to be 9 and she is going to be a jr. bridesmaid. It makes it uneven, but we are just going to have her walk down alone. It doesn't really matter when they are standing up there to look uneven, if the girl is so important, it shouldnt matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards