Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaids dresses

Ok...my sister is my MOH and she called me yesterday saying she was pregnant - which makes her 8 months pregnant come my wedding. And, one of my other BMs says that her and her husband are going to start trying in May! MY WEDDING IN NOVEMBER 13TH!! I want them both to be comfortable. The ceremony will take place at a church, but we haven't made the final decision on whether it will be in the gazebo or by some crosses that are outside. So, would it look tacky if my BM's and MOH wore a casual dress with cowgirl boots? I had found a dress that they all loved; which was great considering that they all 3 have different tastes when it comes to nice dresses. The downside is that the dress I picked out for them doesn't come in maternity sizes. My dress is not very fancy; it has paisley embroidery and beading throughout it. What do yall think?

Re: Bridesmaids dresses

• Options
    Will the cut be able to accommodate an 8 month baby bump?  If so, it will work.

Other options would be to give them a color family and tell them to choose something, find a dress that also comes in maternity sizes or choose whatever guidelines you want like designer, color, length, fabric and let them choose from those.
  • Options

It sounds like you wedding is very casual so cowboy boots may be alright but I would think it to be strange if a guest.  I went to a wedding recently where 5 girls were in cute dresses and bronze strappy sandals. one BM was 8.5 months pregnant and wore bronze flip flops and a very similar dress. The dress doesn't have to match entirely but I might reconsider the shoes.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is the dress of a style that would be more forigiving for an 8-month pregnant belly? (I.e. an empire waist)  As long as they're all happy with the dress style, then I say you're fine...and if you like cowgirl boots then go for it but I think it might be a little odd to see that in a church wedding ceremony - perhaps they can wear dressier shoes of their choosing for the ceremony and save the fun, more casual  boots for the reception? 
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    The dresses sound fine.  As long as they are wearing something flattering and comfortable, they'll be fine.

But why cowboy boots?  You lost me there.  
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment

Cowboys boots are so tight. I feel like pregnant ladies always complain about swelling feet, maybe since it's outdoors and they need to stand and it could be hot, they could be wearing sandals? ...or maybe we here just don't get the cowboy boot thing. As, I too, am trying to picture this and I feel like unless you're wearing a denim skirt and a plaid top, cowboy boots are best suited for jeans?

If the cut of the dress can handle an 8 month baby bump, then go for it. Otherwise, you may have to just start looking for a new dress.

• Options
    I would ask them what they want to wear, both for the dresses and for shoes. If you're worried about comfort, they'll be able to give you much better answers, and I'm sure they'll appreciate your consideration!
  • Options
    I agree with PP, about finding a dress that will better accomodate a baby bump.  Especially if another BM is going to start trying to get with child before the wedding.  As someone who has been through 2 pregnancies, I know how important comfort is.  I don't know where you're at, but cowboy boots might not be the best thing for someone almost full term.  I can see them looking cute with a paisley dress (I'm from South TX, I've seen much worse, and had a daughter last year that wore her boots with EVERYTHING, including knit shorts) and I've seen really cute maternity paisley dresses.  I'd start shopping for a new style.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-dresses-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:d011becf-41cb-41ea-9adc-e41504dadf4dPost:d0d1e1df-88e3-492c-8ead-1655d93cd6a5">Re: Bridesmaids dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cowboys boots are so tight. I feel like pregnant ladies always complain about swelling feet, maybe since it's outdoors and they need to stand and it could be hot, they could be wearing sandals? Posted by xoxob[/QUOTE]

It's true. The last pregnant BM I saw had feet twice her normal size. They were so swollen it made me never want to have kids. I really don't know that they she will be able to get cowboy boots on.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks yall! Some of yall don't know what I'm trying to say, but that's ok. Maybe I should have mentioned I'm in South Texas and it's a rustic wedding. My question wasn't if I needed to find a new dress. My question was if it would look tacky for my BM's to be more casual than me? I still have some time though, considering I have everything except for flowers DONE!!

MyNameIsNot: It's kind of a Texas thing about the boots! Haha!

mizri: Finally! Someone else in south texas! And yes, I was envisioning paisley dresses with maybe yellow box flip flops and boots for the non-prego one; which would look ok, I think, because the non-prego one is my middle BM.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaids-dresses-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:d011becf-41cb-41ea-9adc-e41504dadf4dPost:5bce7d6d-706e-4e2e-b408-f7b1493912b4">Bridesmaids dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, would it look tacky if my BM's and MOH wore a casual dress with cowgirl boots? I had found a dress that they all loved; which was great considering that they all 3 have different tastes when it comes to nice dresses. <strong>The downside is that the dress I picked out for them doesn't come in maternity sizes.</strong> My dress is not very fancy; it has paisley embroidery and beading throughout it. What do yall think?
    Posted by bebito10[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    <strong>My question wasn't if I needed to find a new dress.</strong> My question was if it would look tacky for my BM's to be more casual than me?
    Posted by bebito10[/QUOTE]

I think if you read the bold sentences, you can understand our confusion. As long as they are all happy, and the dress will still fit them at 8 months pregnant, then you're good to go. Ditto the shoes.
  • Options
    I don't know how hot it gets in San Antonio in November, but I'd do some serious rethinking of the cowboys boots for the pregnant bridesmaids....swollen ankles and calves aren't conducive to wearing cowboy boots!!  Also, think about having your sister sit and relax as much as possible, 8.5 months pregnant is pretty close to d-day and you don't want her water breaking at the reception!!  It would make a pretty hilarious action shot for your photographer, though!!!

Thank you, BTW, Bebito!  I opened your post poised to read a multi-paragraphed bitchfest about two of your maids getting knocked up and stealing your thunder!  While I wouldn't try to get pregnant knowing that I have a friend's wedding in the very near future, you can't control other people and I'm SO glad you're not freaking out about it like some other zillas on this site :)

Best of luck to you!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Bebito, I'm actually between Houston and SA, two hours either way....  I was in SA today shopping for fabric for WP dresses!  And I'm having my wedding near Austin, which is also about 2 hours from me.  Yay Crossroads Area!
  • Options
    ok everyone...the dilemma has been solved! after talking it over with the bridal boutique i'm using, everyone has decided to choose their own style of dress. but the color and designer have to be the same. thanks for everyone's comments!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards