Wedding Party
Options

Married friends and the wedding party

We have a married couple that my fiance and I hang out with together for the last year, and I hang out with the wife to get pedicures and girls night.  I don't have a lot of girl friends and wanted to ask her to be a bridesmaid, but my fiance has already picked his groomsmen (and has more attendants than me, i might add) and says he doesn't think he will ask her husband because he picked a couple of guys that he's known for a while already.

Should I just not ask her to avoid possibly hurting his feelings? I'm not sure if he will feel offended and i'd hate to hurt his feelings.

Re: Married friends and the wedding party

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    You aren't required to ask both halves of a couple to be in the bridal party.

We hang out frequently with a couple - MH asked the guy to be his best man in our wedding, but I didn't ask his fiancee to be a bridesmaid. We love her to pieces, but she and I don't really hang out solo, and I was keeping it to my sister and my best friend from high school because I only wanted people I was extremely close to. We asked this girl to do a reading, we got her a corsage and she sat at the head table with us, and to my knowledge she was fine with all that. My husband's going to be a groomsman in their upcoming wedding and I will not be a bridesmaid, and I am 100% fine with that because I know that (while we get along great) she has much closer friends than me. Not a problem at all.

If your husband's not that close to the guy, then the guy won't feel offended. Just be sure that they can sit together at the reception.

But ask the girl because she's a close friend. Don't ask her because you feel like there's no other girlfriends to ask.
  • Options
    If you want to ask her, ask her. If he doesn't want to him, he doesn't have to. Couples are not required to both be in the WP. 
  • Options

I actually prefer it when people in the WP are NOT couples.  You never know what might happen so I just rather not take the chance of something turning ugly later on and having to deal with unnnecessary drama.

If you want her there, ask her.  Her husband doesn't need to be a part of it.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My fiance asked his friend to be his groomsment but hes friends fiance and I do not get along so I didnt ask her its fine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You are not required to include both halves of a couple in a WP, nor do the sides have to be even. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ask her! You are obviously good friends. Her husband might be a little hurt, but men are much different than women. I wouldn't worry about his feelings because I think it will be fine! :)
  • Options
    Thank you guys for your suggestions! She is a good friend and I enjoy spending time with her, they both are great friends. They're taking us for an expensive dinner this weekend to celebrate our engagement too :-) I'm going to wait a month or two to solidify the bridal party. The wedding isn't until December 2012, so I have time :-)
  • Options
    Our son is in a wedding as a GM tomorrow night.  The groom was son's BM.  Our DIL is not in the WP.  And that's just fine.  Married doesn't mean that participation in the WP is mandatory.  An invited guest?  Of course. 

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards