Wedding Party

Wedding Party Scavenger Hunt

My fiance and I are planning a scavenger hunt for our wedding party a couple days before the wedding, mainly as an icebreaker.  We're teaming up the bridesmaid with the groomsman that she will be walking with (so 5 teams of 2).  We want to do a scavenger hunt that involves using the city of Phoenix -- however, Phoenix is a big city, and we're stumped for ideas.  I've read a bunch of things that suggest photo hunts, but we want them to bring things back too.  Any ideas as to what we can have on our list?

Re: Wedding Party Scavenger Hunt

• bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Oh please don't do this.  It's a wedding party, not freshman orientation.  There is no need for an icebreaker.  You are not building a new social group.  They are spending all of 20 minutes* together not talking to each other.  

*Seconds.  That should have been seconds, not minutes.  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • that would be super weird and uncomfortable.  You are nervous about it being awkward for them to walk in together never meeting so you making them spend a day in the city together?  Awkward,
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    FWIW, when I was in my friend's wedding, I not only never got to know any of the GM, I never even caught the name of the guy I walked down the aisle with. And it was fine--we were friends with the bride and groom, respectively.  We didn't have to be friends with each other.  And my friend, the bride, who has now been married 3 1/2 years and is pregnant with her second baby, isn't regretting it.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Please don't do this. It sounds like one of those awkward games they used to make us do at work.
  • ditto pps.  I think you mean well, but you're really overthinking how much your WP cares about knowing each other.

They don't have to be friends.  They have to be friendly, and that's a huge difference.  Their "role" as a WP is, quite literally, just the ceremony.  They walk down the aisle.  They stand during the ceremony.  They walk out.  That's it.  Lock, stock, and barrel.

My kids have all been in several weddings, including each other's. I know for a fact that while they were cordial and friendLY to other WP members, they have not spoken to any that they didn't know (prewedding) since the last dance music ended.

Please treat your WP like the adults they are, and don't expect them to become a new social unit.  They know how to be polite, cordial, make small talk, and interact appropriately.  Don't send them on "manufactured, forced fun" activities.

They'll thank you for it.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:ea4c6119-5fd8-4269-b433-f1b5b2298f6ePost:9e3ad93c-d3cf-4b68-906f-421f6f0e9188">Wedding Party Scavenger Hunt</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are planning a scavenger hunt for our wedding party a couple days before the wedding, mainly as an icebreaker.  We're teaming up the bridesmaid with the groomsman that she will be walking with (so 5 teams of 2).  We want to do a scavenger hunt that involves using the city of Phoenix -- however, Phoenix is a big city, and we're stumped for ideas.  I've read a bunch of things that suggest photo hunts, but we want them to bring things back too.  Any ideas as to what we can have on our list?
    Posted by epic13[/QUOTE]
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I also think this is a bad idea.  I would feel soooooo awkward being forced to ride around with a guy I don't know all day and do a scavenger hunt.
  • I thought this was going to be a game for the board to participate in.  Now, I'm sad.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Tide, I thought the same thing when I first read the title.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:ea4c6119-5fd8-4269-b433-f1b5b2298f6ePost:d4138501-a0c8-4b24-8a6b-da33b09db992">Re: Wedding Party Scavenger Hunt</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought this was going to be a game for the board to participate in.  Now, I'm sad.
    Posted by tidetravel[/QUOTE]
    We could do it...
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:ea4c6119-5fd8-4269-b433-f1b5b2298f6ePost:f4615237-bd1f-4949-b109-3506ae461ab4">Re: Wedding Party Scavenger Hunt</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wedding Party Scavenger Hunt : For starters, I'd say scrap the idea. "Ice breakers" are for corporate retreats and church camps. If you really think that everybody needs to meet and socialize, have a party, invite them all. There is no need to "pair them off" and set them loose in the city for a day. If I were asked to do something like this, I would seriously look for every possible means to get out of it. It would be nothing personal against the bride (I'm sure if she asked me to be a BM, she's somebody I love very much), but the truth is, it is not something I'd be comfortable with. At all. The GM I'd be paired up with is somebody I will gladly be cordial with in a group setting, and I will have no qualms about being on his arm for the ceremony and reception introductions. <strong>But there is no way in hell I'm getting into a car alone with some guy I don't know just because the groom says he's a good guy. Sorry, ain't happening.  </strong>And I know tons of girls that feel the same way as I do. If you absolutely insist on doing this, though, post on the Arizona board. I've never even been in the same time zone as Phoenix, so I really have no idea what, if anything, there is to look at there.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]
    Truth.

I went on a work retreat this summer.  You know what we had for an "ice breaker"?  A pool table and some vodka cranberries.  We left that island best friends.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • She's complaining about us on the AZ board...sigh...
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• On the AZ board, it says her wedding is in two years.  She's planning a crappy icebreaker that will make her friends feel uncomfortable for a wedding in two years.  And I'm assuming that the WP has already been asked, since they've already determined how they'll be walking down the aisle.  Nothing wrong with this picture at all. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wedding-party-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:ea4c6119-5fd8-4269-b433-f1b5b2298f6ePost:9d9a1152-f4da-448f-8768-bc0f99b31636">Re: Wedding Party Scavenger Hunt</a>:
    [QUOTE]She's complaining about us on the AZ board...sigh...
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]
    Linkage?  I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Courtesy of megk8oz

• Brooke, your SN did that fun KnotMatrix thing where it says you're someone else on your posts, and the name it gave you was "BANNED68," which my brain equated to you being banned.   I was like "nooooooo, what could she possibly have done????"  I even used that many question marks when I thought it.  It was scary for a hot second. 
  • If I'm banned it's news to me!  I recommend you start a write-in campaign to free me :)
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010

Is it too soon to start placing bets that in another 6 months OP's going to be looking for a way to "politely kick out a BM", and on her laundry list of complaints will be "We held a scavenger hunt so our WP could get to know each other, and she bailed with some lame excuse about not wanting to spend the day alone with the GM she's walking with."?

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I would kill you for this if I was your bridesmaid.

How old are you??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i don't get why all these other people are so negative about what OTHER PEOPLE want to do with THEIR weddings. i think its a good idea and i would love to do it if i were them. my only thing would be maybe do groups of 4 or so, so its not so awkward and it can be a lot more fun with more ppl.i would feel weird with 1 person i don't know but if theres a few of us id have a good time and i think it'd make for a more fun reception, but thats just me.The photo ones are good and maybe have them bring back some stuff. I know my cousin(who has done multiple of these) said she would do it based on things you 2 like ex:if he's a baseball fan, have them take a picture with a baseball and bonus points if its taken on a field with a team or something along those lines. Its your wedding and if thats what you want to do don't let some people who live on the knot ruin your fun. :)
  • We're trying to stop HER from subjecting HER wedding party to something that THEY will NOT enjoy.  Basically trying to stop HER from being a BAD friend.  Savvy?
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Unfortunately, Stage, you missed nothing.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Seriously, everyone should just keep their mouths shut because The Bride has spoken?  You may want to lurk some more before you start lecturing people.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• If it were actually a fun activity that she was planning, yes, you might have a point.  But just because you have a ring on your finger, all of your ideas are not magically brilliant and perfect and wonderful.  This is an objectively bad idea for numerous reasons, and no reasonable person could possibly defend it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards