Wedding Party

How many people is to many to go dress shopping?

I have 5 bridesmaids and my mother and aunt who would all like to go dress shopping with me.  I don't want to insult anyone by not asking them to go.  Is caravaning 7 people around to shop for my dress to much??  Has anyone had an experience with that many people there?  I feel like 7 opinions being thrown at me might have an effect on my decision.  Can anyone relate??

Re: How many people is to many to go dress shopping?

• don't bring more than two, max of three people. the first time i went shopping i brought just my MOH. the second time there were 6 people. WAY too many. it was so much harder to make a decision based with so many people there, it's just a bad idea. i really wish i hadn't brought that many (i actually didn't, three just showed up). 
  • Take two.  Let the others go to your first fitting, if you feel somehow compelled to include them in dress shopping.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I think bringing an entourage is too much for you and the store.

Stick to a few key people you trust.  For me, that meant going with just my mom.
  • Leave the entourage at home! I had only a few people come with me at one time to find a dress. The one time I had more than 3 people come with me, I wanted to scream! Everyone had their own opinion. I was trying on dresses that I didn't even like. I actually found be dress when I was alone with no one with me. After I ordered it and it came in, then I had my bridesmaids, mom and my aunt come look at it. I say take your mom and your MOH, but no more than that.
  • I asked a similar question on another board recently and got all "3 at the most" replies. I struggled with this because I also had a lot of people that wanted to come with me and that I wanted there as well. I ended up bringing 5 people in addition to myself. For us, this was perfect! We all got to share the day together and everyone was respectful and offered great advice. Bottom line, look at your group and if you think they will be crazy and rambunctious and not put you and this experience first then leave them at home. But if not, bring them with you! I had three appointments and we had a great relaxing day together and had lunch out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i would say 7 is too many in my opinion (which is like an a$$hole,everyone has one and they stink lol) but i took my mom and grandmother with me. i wish i would have just taken my mom because my grandmother is so freaking outspoken and made some rude comments about my dress (b/c its not traditional all white and i included lavender).

if you want more than one person i'd say no more than 2 or 3 and make sure that they are people you absolutely adore!! gl!
  • Another option (and this worked great for me): I brought two people to the first attempt at dress shopping to narrow down all the options.  Once I had the top two, I walked away, slept on it (for a couple weeks) and called two other people to help me make the final decision.  A couple of my bridesmaids weren't able to make it either time, but I will invite them to the first fitting... if they're even interested at that point!  One said she is waiting 'til the big day and keeping it a surprise.
  • I took my Mom, my sister who is my MOH, and my 2 bridesmaids.  The bridal store we were going to is about 40 minutes away and we all work different schedules, so we decided to look for my dress and then look for their dresses right after.  I am glad I took my bridesmaids, as my Mom and I have different tastes.  It was great to have them there to remind my Mom a little that it was my choice and my wedding when she wasn't loving the dress I picked.  I wouldn't take anymore than 3 or 4 people though; I think then it's just too many opinions and too hectic.  I think it also makes the task harder for the bridal consultant when having to deal with a bunch of people.  You want your consultant to focus 100% on you, not worry about everyone else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I went shopping originally with just my mom and sister (who is also my MOH). I had made a decision between 2-3 dresses with my mom and sister with me.  When we went back to go and decide on the dress i took my stepmom along with us as well. My FMIL still hasn't seen it (except in pictures), but we still have to go back and order it and choose a veil to go with it, so she is going to go with us then.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The fewer opinions, the better. Everyone feels like they have to put their two cents in, but in the end, your opinion on your dress is the only one that matters. Plus, finding time when all seven people are available for the outings is complicated too. Everyone will understand if you just take your mom and MOH, or even just your mom.
  • I think it depends on you and the people in your life. If my mom and I got along and had the same tastes I would have gone with her and my sister.

However, my mom has completely different tastes and is pushy. I 'knew' the dress I wanted months before and was just hoping it looked good on me. The first time I went to try on dresses there was 5 ppl with me as I felt it was more for show. For me it was helpful because BMs distracted my mother and kept her in check. Later I went to a different store with just my mom that was closer to check out the shop and my mom tried to pressure me in to buying a different dress that was beautiful (cause well, they are all beautiful), but not me. I went back with just my MOH and compared the two and got the original. My problem is I had to bring my mom so I needed the other people. Otherwise I would have preferred just my MOH (sister).
  • My daughter also had 8 people who wanted to go...so we made a plan  :)  The first time out, we invited all of them and went to Davids bridal.  She tried one 12 different dresses all of different styles.  Her FMIL, who is extremely opinionated, even picked 2 to try on.  We also had bridesmaids there and tried on a couple of those.  Then we all went for a lovely lunch where everyone discussed all the differnet dresses.  Everyone was happy, got the experience, and she got to see lots of different styles to narrow down likes and dislikes.

Then the real shopping started...just my daughter, her MOH and I.  We found something amazing at the 3rd store we went to...everyone cried  :)

So...best of both worlds, and everyone happy!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • I am only taking my mother...and maybe my sister.  My MOH is very opinionated and will not focus on the task at hand...I'm assuming.  Either way, I'm going with my assumption...and she will be included at the fitting, for sure...and she has enough things that will come her way to keep her busy with her role in the wedding...I'm keeping it real simple.  I may take Grandma, too.  She'd enjoy it.
  • Just take one person..maybe 2. I only went shopping with my mom and was so glad I did. It meant a lot to her (and me) to be able to share that experience with me. It was less confusing because I only had one other opinion outside of mine and I was able to pick the dress that made ME (not everybody else) happy.
  • I don't get along with my mom and we are total opposites so I just took my best friend.  At the time she was my MOH but now is a bridesmaid, long story nothing bad.  But one was a plenty.  Just so happened my fiance's grandma was working at the bridal shop at the time so she was there as well, so I guess my answer is 2. ha ha.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would honestly say don't take anyone!  If you really feel you need to take just one person like your mom or MOH.  Otherwise there are way too many opinions and wont be able to make the decision on your own.  I hear Vera Wang makes her brides come to her on their own so they don't have any outside distractions... smart thinking!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards