Wedding Party
Options

WPBP of the day

Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love?

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? 

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding:

Were you ever sent to the principal's office?

Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
My Planning Bio
My Married Bio updated March 4

Re: WPBP of the day

• Options
    I LOVE this question!

I think Romeo and Juliet were more interested in engaging in the taboo than they were in love.  I'm sure they liked each other well enough, but the excitement about being with someone your parents and whoever else didn't want you to be with probably had a lot more to do with it.  And it could be that I'm just a cynic.

No.  I never thought the ending was poetic. 
    The bride basically changed into a tutu for the reception.  It did not look good.  The B&G arriving about an hour late to their reception, and after their 2 hour break.  It was awful.

haha, no.  I had detention once.  Only once.  I got caught ditching in the 9th grade.  Never again.
  • Options
    No

Not terribly, but they annoyed me in general.

At one of my second cousin's weddings, my mom's cousin's wife brought McDonald's into the reception.  The family is Catholic but doesn't do "Catholic gaps," so apparently she couldn't make the drive from Mass to cocktail hour without grabbing food or at least sit and eat it in the car.

Nope but I think we went there a couple times to bug him.

• Options

1) Do you think Romeo and Juliet were in love?

- I think they thought they were - weren't they supposed to be like 15?  I thought I loved everyone when I was 15.

2) Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet?

-the 1968 version with Olivia Hussey makes me cry so I'd say yes, I like it.

3) Tackiest thing at a wedding...

-Not really their fault but at a beach wedding (on a public beach) there was a fat guy in a speedo standing about 10 feet off to the side watching...all I could think of was him ending up in the photos

4) Were you ever sent to the principals office?

- Yes. On my first day of first grade our entire bus was called to the office bc the 8th graders in the back were misbehaving.  I had no idea why were called down so when we got screamed at I cried so hard I threw up and they had to call my mom.

BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love? Well, I don't rightly know. Probably not. Probably just infatuated with being scandalous. 

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? I don't like Romeo and Juliet - period. Mercutio was the best part of that play and he got off'd. Although I know they're the same story, I much prefer West Side Story. It just jives better with me.

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: This wasn't the fault of the couple and I don't know if it really counts as tacky, but at the last wedding I went to no one was watching their kids. Because of this, during the couple's first dance about 15 kids were playing tag and running all around them on the dance floor. No one stopped the children! Seriously, watch your flippin' kids. I was just dismayed.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office? Technically, but I never went.

I had an English teacher my senior year of high school who I did not get along with. She said some really nasty things to me on a regular basis, such as "If you don't like the way I grade why don't you have your rich mommy and daddy call the school" when I had a question about a paper she had graded. I believe my response was, "I don't have a rich mommy and daddy and they hate each other so I doubt they would call the school together..."

Anyway, she kicked me out of class one day after a tiff like that and told me to go to the principal's office. I didn't. I just went home. Nothing ever came of it.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Romeo and Juliet in love? I'm sure they thought they were but they were young and stupid...this hints at the answer to #2. I think it was the forbidden that drove their love...or lust.

The ending? Young and stupid. Grief can make you temporarily insane...which can apparently make you kill yourself.

Tackiest thing at a wedding? I went to a wedding where the Bride was to ride the horse drawn carriage to the aisle. The house that she was hidden away in was literally 5 steps from the aisle. She came out of the house, climbed into the carriage, rode down the drive way, drove out of the establishment, did a loop off the premises, came back to the venue, rode up the drive, and came to a stop at the aisle. She climbed out and than walked down the aisle. Everyone was talking (rather loudly) during her time away that she had run off because she couldn't marry him. Even the groom made a joke to guests while she was gone that she couldn't do it. It was odd!

Principal? No but I had detention a lot in high school because I was always late. The detention teacher was one of my favorite teachers and he loved me so I could do whatever I wanted during that time.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-143?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:fdd08ac9-ea30-47c4-905f-af854d532e25Post:514aa30d-ece4-42a5-8ecd-0995690c2a51">WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love? <strong>I think they thought they were - they were kids, in love with being in love and with the forbidden-ness of it all.</strong>

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet?  <strong>Nope.  Not a whit.</strong>

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: <strong>Good question.  Maybe when the tiny (like 4'11") bride jumped up on her huge (like 6'5") groom and wrapped her legs around his waist, sending her big poofy wedding gown up around her hips and making him carry her around like that.  </strong>

Were you ever sent to the principal's office?  <strong>Yes.  Once for writing a song parody ("You're a Bitch, Pledl" to the tune of Hello, Dolly) about a teacher and once for getting caught running through the church after school.  Oh, and once for skipping out of a pep rally and going to a restaurant for breakfast instead.  </strong>
    Posted by stina93446[/QUOTE]

Fun questions, Stina!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-143?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:fdd08ac9-ea30-47c4-905f-af854d532e25Post:78dc5fac-2c64-4033-9287-8201a495aa86">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]3) Tackiest thing at a wedding... -Not really their fault but at a beach wedding (on a public beach) there was a fat guy in a speedo standing about 10 feet off to the side watching...all I could think of was him ending up in the photos Posted by hugz415[/QUOTE]

This has me laughing out loud!
  • Options
    ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I have to post this.  If it's not cool, Stina, I apologize and please let me know and I'll remove it.  But that public beach wedding called to mind this (you may have to click on it to get the full effect of the topless woman in the background - I don't, however, recommend it):

• Options
    OH my gosh!

Thank goodness for Photoshop.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love? Sure

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? No, I think it's stupid.

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: Um, dollar dance?  I hate hate hate the dollar dance.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office? Yes, but only to be questioned about what the "bad kids" did.  I was always the quiet, well behaved kid, so teachers instantly thought I would be the most honest about the misbehaving kid.  I usually claimed to know nothing.
  • Options
    I think they thought they were in love.  But they were way too young.

No...not really.

I think the tackiest thing I've seen is a dollar dance.

No, I never even got detention.  I was afraid to get in trouble!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love? Probably not.  I don't think you really know YOURSELF at fourteen, let alone know someone else enough to want to be with them forever.

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? Honestly, it enrages me.  I just want to scream "JEEZUM, JULIET!  Just leave your father's house and go with Romeo, and cut out the middleman of drinking the potion and Balthasar effing the whole thing up!"

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: Probably one wedding I went to where the bride and groom auctioned off their centerpieces (candles inside fishbowls) to the highest bidders.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office? Nope.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    OWN - LOL! 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love?No, they were only teenagers and I think it was more lust than anything else.

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? For R & J, no, for their families, yes. I think it taught them a good lesson in forgiveness (or it would have, if the story really continued after their deaths)

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding:At my sister's wedding in St. Thomas my mom's sisters had the leftovers of their boxed up to go back to the hotel with them. There were only 30 people there, so it was pretty obvious to everyone.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office?Yes, in 5th grade I was blamed for pushing my ex-friend and she dropped something that was special to her and it broke. I wasn't anywhere near her when it happened but I was still sent because my teacher hated me beacuse she thought I was the 2nd coming of my sister (super huge brat in school). My principal and I chatted for a few minutes and then I went back to class unpunished. It was awesome.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it was young infatuation. 

No, I did not.  I don't think for any reason whatsoever anyone should ever kill themselves.

I've seen dollar dances, and I've seen cash bars- those don't bother me.  But if a groom gets all nasty up the dress to get the garter with his teeth, that's just trashy.  I also went to a wedding 5 years ago where the bride wasn't old enough to drink so she kept a cooler of smirnoff ice under the sweetheart table because the bar wouldn't serve her or her friends. 

I got suspended in 7th grade.  I was also sent in just a few days before graduation from HS because I called a teacher a fvcking a$$hole in front of the class.

dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love? infatuated

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? yup. 

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: The BMs then the bride and groom booty dancing on stage with the band.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office? nope, but I did get someone ELSE called to the vice-principal's office.  stupid B had stolen my purse.
  • Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love? I think they thought they were in love, but they probably wouldn't have lasted.

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? I'm indifferent toward it.

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: I haven't seen anything really awful at a wedding, luckily. But honestly, the last wedding we went to had what I found to be really tacky table decorations...just these pieces of tulle that didn't look nice (and I think tulle can look fine, but this didn't) covered with a few little plastic beads that had holes in them and were clearly for little kids to make "jewelry" with. Not at all what I expected from the couple, but apparently they were happy with it.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office? Nope, my head of school is actually invited to our CA reception because we're friends now.
  • Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love?: It was teenage love.

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet?: Not really

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: The B&G got into a car accident before their first wedding (completely different story) and then at their second reception, they passed around an envelope asking for money to buy them a new car.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office?: Yes
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-143?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:fdd08ac9-ea30-47c4-905f-af854d532e25Post:b0524e6b-77fc-434d-b45f-0b1b4d56a912">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I have to post this.  If it's not cool, Stina, I apologize and please let me know and I'll remove it.  But that public beach wedding called to mind this (you may have to click on it to get the full effect of the topless woman in the background - I don't, however, recommend it):
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

<div>Ohwhynot, you in no way offended me or broke the rules...lol, I am not a MOD so there's not much I could do anyway.</div><div>
    </div><div>And Licia, WSS is my favorite musical and I always prefer that ending....</div><div>
    </div><div>"How many bullets are left Chino?"</div>
    My Planning Bio
  • Options

Stina, it's my fav, too. I'll never forget the first time I saw it, I was holding my breath and crying all at the same time, just willing Maria to put the gun down.

I'm getting a little misty just thinking about it.

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, I think they were in love with the idea of being in love, and with being rebellious teenagers. But, I'm a cynic when it comes to teenage love.

Yes, I thought it fit the play perfectly.

Honestly, I don't know. I've only been to a few and I was young for the first 2. The other one I just hated the food.

Yes, because some girl accused me of stealing her bracelet. I did no such thing, my grandma gave it to me for Christmas. Luckily, Grandma worked for the school and marched right over to clear my name.
  • Options
    ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010

Stina, I'm such an idiot - I was thinking you were a mod on this board, too.  Sorry.  Sorry, to you too, Banana.

A side note about getting sent to the principal's office:  in high school, if we got sent to the "guidance office," he made us call our dads and tell him exactly where we were and what we were there for.  Luckily for me, my dad was an over-the-road truck driver and couldn't be reached.  My mom was a much softer touch. 

• Options
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love? Hell to the no!
    Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? Um, is it awful that I like it because once they're dead, I know the end is near....? No? Damnit! Ok, we;; I also love the WSS ending because Maria(Juliet) doesn't die.
    The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: A used garter toss, a million "monograms" on everything....
    Were you ever sent to the principal's office? Nope, but I was sent to the vice principal's office, who was the detention guy. But once I got there, I sweet talked him and he just sent me back to class.
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Do you really think Romeo and Juliet were in love?  I think they were horny teenagers that were "in love" with the idea of p!ssing off their parents.

Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet? Truth? It would have been way better if they lived, and about a week after the wedding, Romeo fell in love with Juliet's hottie BFF. Juliet discovers the affair, returns to the apothocary and buys some herbs that she slips into Romeo's food to make him impotent. I'm a bit of a R&J hater, lol (I like Shakespeare, but R&J is overrated, imo)

Side note: Whenever I hear a girl say "Our love is like R&J" or "I want a love like R&J had", my knee-jerk reaction is a very dead-pan "So you want to stab yourself on your HM?"

The tackiest thing you've ever witnessed at a wedding: My BSC friend's dollar dance "alternative". First off, we don't even have the DD in my area (Hers is the only wedding I've been to that had one), but instead of dancing with guests for the money, the DJ announced that 2 people (1 guy, 1 girl) from each table would collect money from their table. The 2 people then were to line up in front of the bride and groom (Guys in the bride's line, girls in the groom's), who were seated in the middle of the dance floor, and then one by one,  they had to do a little dance to present the B&G with the money. She said she got all skeeved out because men were giving her lap dances and girls were making her H fish money out of their boobs. I say she totally freakin' deserved it.

Were you ever sent to the principal's office? Yeah, but it was always for bs reasons. In middle school, there were these 4 boys that used to pick on me and my friends a lot. Whenever they did something awful to us, before we even had a chance, they would immediately go down to the principal's office and say that we did something to them, and it was seriously on a weekly basis.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-143?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:fdd08ac9-ea30-47c4-905f-af854d532e25Post:9765a90d-30af-40a3-be5d-ac674e408c9f">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you like the ending of Romeo and Juliet?  Truth? It would have been way better if they lived, and about a week after the wedding, Romeo fell in love with Juliet's hottie BFF. Juliet discovers the affair, returns to the apothocary and buys some herbs that she slips into Romeo's food to make him impotent. I'm a bit of a R&J hater, lol (I like Shakespeare, but R&J is overrated, imo) Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

HAHA - But before Juliet can poison him to make him impotent she finds out that the BFF is pregnant with his child. Drama!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-143?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:fdd08ac9-ea30-47c4-905f-af854d532e25Post:4a99c518-6141-461c-930e-cd9b83ab203f">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WPBP of the day : HAHA - But before Juliet can poison him to make him impotent she finds out that the BFF is pregnant with his child. Drama!
    Posted by suz62984[/QUOTE]

Well, duh, that's the only way it's fun, lol.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Meg, how funny would it be if Juliet woke up, Romeo wasn't there (because he was probably stoned somewhere) and her parents made her marry Paris....and they lived happily ever after....why couldn't it just end that way?
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_wpbp-of-day-143?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:fdd08ac9-ea30-47c4-905f-af854d532e25Post:6c9ca66b-584c-4063-9ba2-3bad272d718a">Re: WPBP of the day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meg, how funny would it be if Juliet woke up, Romeo wasn't there (because he was probably stoned somewhere) and her parents made her marry Paris....and they lived happily ever after....why couldn't it just end that way?
    Posted by stina93446[/QUOTE]

I'm bitter, lol, so it probably would have been more amusing if they stayed married, Romeo became a stoner and Paris became a successful government official or something. Then Lady Capulet could spend the next 20 years being a yenta "You should have listened to your father and I. Do you see what you could have had? But nooooo, you had to go be "Miss I Do What I Want" and marry that good for nothing Romeo. And look at him, he's a nobody and he's impotent! Now you'll never have nice things and I'll never have grandchildren!" 

• Options
    bwhahaha, I can TOTALLY see Lady Capulet being like that. And Paris would probably end up with Rosalind anyway...(if you remember, the first time you see Romeo, he's going on about how gorgeous this Rosalind chick is and how he's in love with her).
    My Planning Bio
  • Options

I suddenly was able to imagine Lady Capulet and Juliet arguing about Juliet getting married and what "nice, rich man" Paris is ... but they're really Fran Dresher and her mother from "The Nanny".

Juliet: "But Ma, the Montegue's are really rich and successful, too. Romeo's got money!".

Lady C: "Marrying the son of your father's worst enemy, oh just twist the knife, why don't you? You're killing me, you're really killing me!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards